Bavaria to Budapest - Viking

rahrah50

A group of us are thinking of taking the Viking Bavaria to Budapest river cruise with the Prague extension. We all have done the Viking China trip and loved it. What things should we keep in mind when booking? Water levels??? anything else?? We prefer to not travel during June, July, and August.....

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.......

Welcome to the River Cruising forum!

Even though you have already taken one river cruise, it sounds like you are still basically new to the issues of river cruising. I will also point out that river cruises in China are very different from the experience in Europe. Don't just assume that the cruise line and river you have chosen is the right one for your next cruise -- do some research so you can be sure.

I suggest you start by reading the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference]. The range among river cruise lines that market in the US is fairly small -- but there are differences from the bottom to the top, and the prices don't vary as much as it first appears because the more expensive lines include more things that cost extra on the "cheaper" lines. For information on choosing a river, read the sticky River Cruise Basics articles on Cruise Critic at the top of this forum. I also recommend the book Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward, which may be found at your public library.

Thank you Jazzbeau for the links. We have reviewed cruise companies and itineraries so we are fairly comfortable with our choice of Viking. I think I read every post on Viking China before we left. I am not fond of ocean cruising as I am not very interested in the ship's amenities and shows, and all the people. I loved the China trip and thinking rivers in Europe may be a better way to go.

We traveled the Danube in the spring (April) and had really nice weather (one day of rain in Belgrade). I've heard summer can be very hot. We are leaving Saturday for Budapest to Passau and it looks like it will be in the 30s and 40s with some rain or drizzle.

I think it depends what you want to do and see on your trip--I love the Christmas markets. We won't enjoy the wine country as much since it's winter. I think there are a lot fewer tourists at the historical sites (palaces and cathedrals) than in the summer but the markets are quite busy if you don't mind the crowds. The winter trips do limit your time up on the sun deck but having done summer and winter trips, you can hang out in the Aquavit lounge and enjoy the scenery as well.

Take a look at the different itineraries. The Danube Waltz and the Romantic Danube have different stops--I really like Bratislava which is on the Waltz, but not the Romantic.

Thank you Jazzbeau for the links. We have reviewed cruise companies and itineraries so we are fairly comfortable with our choice of Viking. I think I read every post on Viking China before we left. I am not fond of ocean cruising as I am not very interested in the ship's amenities and shows, and all the people. I loved the China trip and thinking rivers in Europe may be a better way to go.

Before we went on our Viking Romantic Danube cruise, I looked at all the Roll Calls to see what people were saying. I got a lot of good information from those posts, as well as from the trip reports people wrote afterward. We adored our Viking cruise with all the lively Christmas Markets!

River levels are an obvious issue on the Bavaria to Budapest cruises. Is there a river cruise company that handles low or high water better than others? In doing more reading it appears Viking does not handle the situation very well. Does anyone have a suggestion of another company?

We (two couples) did our first river cruise in early June on Uniworld, Budapest to Passau. We all loved it.

We also did three days in Prague on our own. We had a wonderful Prague guide, Nina, who picked us up in Passau, took us to Cesky Krumlov and then on to Prague for 2 more days of guided tours. Her husband drives the van. With all our luggage the van could comfortably accommodate 4 passengers so if your group is 6 the van would probably need to have a small trailer to carry the luggage.

This itinerary could work in reverse if you fly in to Prague. Check out ninapragueguide.com

Judging from what I read on Cruise Critic....Uniworld handled the low water problems much better than Viking.

ps. Nina has a PHD and speaks perfect English.

The company that did the best this year with low water was AMA. Worst was Viking. Several others also did well, but AMA stands out because they had 0 bus tours, 0 ship swaps, and the itinerary changes were limited to 1-2 hours.

Thank you for the information. We love private guides and I will stash this information. Thank you for the info on Uniworld. I am going to do more research on the cruise companies. We loved Viking in China but I am reading more and more negatives so I will continue to search for info. I understand the river levels are a risk when booking this cruise but I want a company that handles it well and communicates with the passengers. From some of the reading I have done it sounds like Viking longships have the deepest draft of the river boats.

Thank you thank you Jazzbeau!!! Perfect information. Viking is now off the list, as I have read too many negatives about this itinerary. I do not want a bus tour!!!! I am a good traveler and realize things can happen and I will make the best of most situations, but I don't think this is the trip for me on Viking.

The company that did the best this year with low water was AMA. Worst was Viking. Several others also did well, but AMA stands out because they had 0 bus tours, 0 ship swaps, and the itinerary changes were limited to 1-2 hours.

Vantage did well also apparently because they need lesser draft than some of the bigger ships (like Viking). We were on the Rhine in late August and the river was very noticeably low....people were actually fishing from chairs they set on what is usually the river bottom! The only thing that impacted us was the length of time it took to go through the gorge in single file! To my knowledge, Vantage did not cancel any trips or convert to buses either.

Thanks Hydrokitty. I will check out Vantage also....I really like this itinerary and while I have gone on ocean cruises they just are not my favorite way to travel. There are 5 other gals and we are all widows so the river cruise sounds like a good fit for us. I am the researcher for the group so I will keep doing my research!!!!!!

Well, what the heck . . . you might as well check out Grand Circle too. Some folks don't like that the beds can't. Be made as a double . . . If that isn't an issue for you it may be a good match.

We really enjoy having several program directors on board. Your PD will learn the group and adapt tours as needed . . . you also get to know the PD.

Quote:Originally Posted by Host Jazzbeau View Post

The company that did the best this year with low water was AMA. Worst was Viking. Several others also did well, but AMA stands out because they had 0 bus tours, 0 ship swaps, and the itinerary changes were limited to 1-2 hours..

we were on the Amabella leaving Amsterdam to Budapest 31 October to 14 November and we kept advised of the possibility of a ship change from week one of the cruise, right up to the last week the Captain Arjen was optimistic about our chances of sailing all the way to Budapest, but it was not to be and we changed on the 12th to the AmaPrima, it necessitated a four hour bus trip and the program resumed, the ship change was handled in a mater of fact manner and although there are always people who have difficulty making lemonade out of lemons, most were happy to get the opportunity to do the evening sailing past the lit up buildings.

we were on the Amabella leaving Amsterdam to Budapest 31 October to 14 November and we kept advised of the possibility of a ship change from week one of the cruise, right up to the last week the Captain Arjen was optimistic about our chances of sailing all the way to Budapest, but it was not to be and we changed on the 12th to the AmaPrima, it necessitated a four hour bus trip and the program resumed, the ship change was handled in a mater of fact manner and although there are always people who have difficulty making lemonade out of lemons, most were happy to get the opportunity to do the evening sailing past the lit up buildings.

Thanks for this correction. I have been searching for information about problems with AMA because it seemed impossible that even the best-designed ships could make it through every week this year -- but all prior reports have been that there were no interruptions. So now I know there was at least one. And welcome to Cruise Critic! Please start a thread and post more about your trip. Everyone here loves to cruise vicariously as much as we can!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

• 4 months later...

We really enjoyed our Viking Bordeaux river cruise and will be traveling on Viking again on their new itinerary - Nuremberg to Budapest. The reason I chose this is that one gets 2 1/2 days in Vienna instead of the typical 1 1/2 days.

We selected October 17th in hopes that the Danube will be high enough from fall rain.

Anyone else on this sailing?

You may also want to check out Tauck, "Blue Danube" cruise. Truck did very well during high and low water level situations plus Tauck is all inclusive and their cruise includes two nights in Pague and two nights in Budapest. We have booked this trip for next spring after having a fabulous Rhine River cruise last May.

• 2 months later...

Yes, we're booked on the same cruise. we are two couples from California. We also took the Viking Bordeaux cruise last summer - I believe it was the July 18th sailing. Were you on that sailing? Looking forward to this October's trip. Have you made a decision on any of the excursions?