RCCL Skagway White Pass Railway tours

funtimex2

I'm trying to decide between 3 choices I have narrowed to but the information given doesn't give me enough to make a decision. Any input you can give me will help.

1. Yukon Adventure and White Pass Scenic Railway SK76

-where do you board the train?

-

2. White Pass Railroad and Alaskan Dog sled experience SK98

- Where do you board the train?

- There is no mention of a food or a meal. Is there a stop where food can be purchased?

- How long is the encounter with the dogs?

- How long is the sled experience?

- Are there other food choices? How is the Bison chili?

3. Alaska Gold Rush Highlights SK62

- Is this an authentic gold mine?

- How is the buffet

Any other information about experiences would be helpful. I want to make sure the money I'm spending for the excursion is worth it.

I'm trying to decide between 3 choices I have narrowed to but the information given doesn't give me enough to make a decision. Any input you can give me will help.

-

- There is no mention of a food or a meal. Is there a stop where food can be purchased?

- How is the buffet

Any other information about experiences would be helpful. I want to make sure the money I'm spending for the excursion is worth it.

The train normal stops close to the pier for loading and unloading passengers . Do any of the say "Passport Required " . If so one end of the train will be at Fraser BC Canada . Again the bus will stop a very short distance from the train.

In my hast to post I didn't proofread.

#2. Does offer Bison Chili, but is there a different choice to choose from?

Since we will be sailing in May, I am not sure how far into the Yukon we would be able to go, but would like to go as far as we can. We have done the Bennett Lake and Emerald Lake before and would love to do that again, but I understand the rails will not be cleared by our arrival for that to be an option.

Since we will be sailing in May, I am not sure how far into the Yukon we would be able to go, but would like to go as far as we can. We have done the Bennett Lake and Emerald Lake before and would love to do that again, but I understand the rails will not be cleared by our arrival for that to be an option.

You can drive all the way to Whitehorse from Skagway all year round. The road from Skagway is an all season road.

Looking at the itinery... there is a stop at the Suspension bridge. It's 6 miles north of Fraser, BC where most bus/train transfers occur.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=SK76

I'll leave it others to share their thoughts in the Suspension Bridge.

Edited by xlxo

the Klondike Highway is open all year. Yes, correct, the Lake Bennett train does NOT start until the end of May.

-

- How is the buffet

It would be superior- if you pasted the descriptions- The "names" mean nothing to me, and require me to look each up.

Since you have already been there, there are only 2 places you can board the trains, either in Skagway or Fraser. some tours do run in both directions.

Your "dog" reference is Caribou Crossing. Have no clue what #3 is- is it Liarsville- with a salmon buffet?

Please post the complete information- then I can tell you exactly the details you may be looking for.

It would be superior- if you pasted the descriptions- The "names" mean nothing to me, and require me to look each up.

Since you have already been there, there are only 2 places you can board the trains, either in Skagway or Fraser. some tours do run in both directions.

Your "dog" reference is Caribou Crossing. Have no clue what #3 is- is it Liarsville- with a salmon buffet?

Please post the complete information- then I can tell you exactly the details you may be looking for.

I've been to Caribou Crossing and enjoyed that experience. However when I looked at tour SK98. I started to wonder if it was Caribou Crossing or not as it was not mentioned.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=sk98&DestinationCode=

SK62 mentions going to "Klondike Gold Dredge" and not Liarsville.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=SK62&DestinationCode=ALCAN

If we look at this streetview.... Gold Dredge does not look like Liarsville. They are two different attractions.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Liarsville+Campground,+Skagway,+AK+99840,+United+States/Klondike+Gold+Dredge,+Klondike+Hwy,+Skagway,+AK+99840,+United+States/@59.4729202,-135.2990847,3a,68.2y,110.36h,80.83t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5DXDdZ0F-k-AjSLhbQnzng!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D5DXDdZ0F-k-AjSLhbQnzng%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D53.694069%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x56aaa9525772a485:0x8968ecb2786094b7!2m2!1d-135.2775!2d59.4827778!1m5!1m1!1s0x56aaac937734ade1:0x36568a1ae62b72bd!2m2!1d-135.2977627!2d59.4726973

http://www.klondikegoldfields.com/#!dredge-tour/c1ho7

Here is a list of the major excursions and the cruise lines that offer them.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/skagwayexcursions.html#.VmqAIoJgnIU

As others have said, most of the trains board at the ship - the alternate would be at the WPRR station in town. Most of the combo tours use the train between Fraser and Skagway and bus the opposite direction - so the tour may be train first or bus first -with the second stop in between.

There are two dog sledding places - Caribou Crossing in Carcross and the 40 Below/Gold Dredge operation on the outskirts of Skagway.

Not sure about where the chili is served - Liarsville has salmon, Caribou has chicken. Maybe 40 below??

Thanks xlxo for posting the excursion. I'm just getting back to reading the thread.

The information that everyone has posted helps to make a better decision. The excursion descriptions on what to expect is sketchy and lacking the details that I would prefer to have when trying to make plans so I am not disappointed.

Thanks xlxo for posting the excursion. I'm just getting back to reading the thread.

The information that everyone has posted helps to make a better decision. The excursion descriptions on what to expect is sketchy and lacking the details that I would prefer to have when trying to make plans so I am not disappointed.

Is you only choices ship excursions? And with the ones you are listing- very different in that the first appears to go into the Yukon, where the other 2 do not.

for scenery- it is well worth the investment to get into the Yukon with a common turn around- Emerald Lake. In my opinion- there are superior independent options.

You are open to all those options? Going to Emerald Lake- or, cart ride dog sledding, or gold dredge? (there was NO gold in any of these areas- the rush was in Dawson City- 500 miles away).

There is an opportunity to combine Emerald Lake and the dog cart ride with an independent. Also superior meal option with another perhaps. :)

Here is a list of the major excursions and the cruise lines that offer them.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/skagwayexcursions.html#.VmqAIoJgnIU

As others have said, most of the trains board at the ship - the alternate would be at the WPRR station in town. Most of the combo tours use the train between Fraser and Skagway and bus the opposite direction - so the tour may be train first or bus first -with the second stop in between.

There are two dog sledding places - Caribou Crossing in Carcross and the 40 Below/Gold Dredge operation on the outskirts of Skagway.

Not sure about where the chili is served - Liarsville has salmon, Caribou has chicken. Maybe 40 below??

The Gold Dredge place does NOT do dog sled rides, only a demonstration and a chance to play with puppies.