New Logo

JB&JLG74

Looks like HAL's new president couldn't resist making his mark by messing with the logo. The new tag line, Savory the Journey, is nice and the tag line should be updated periodically. But why mess with the logo, which is on everything HAL to include the flatware in the dining room? And, to me, the removal of the Half Moon is a disavowal of HAL's heritage. I don't get it.

I believe it was in the early 1970's that HAL changed their logo at the time when the trans-Atlantic crossings became much less important than their cruise business. They even changed their name from Holland America Line to Holland America Cruises. I sailed under both "banners" and my cruise experiences were equally good. Several years later, the Company returned to the name of Holland America Line with the traditional logo. (I have no idea why.) A change in logo means little, I found. At least. at that time.

What is important is what we guests experience during our cruise.

The previous tag line of "Signature of Excellence", given the inconsistency of cruise experience that I have had during its "tenure", was something that HAL has had trouble meeting on every ship, on every cruise.

I have my opinions as to why this is and I have expressed them on this Message Board. Perhaps Mr. Ashford's decision to change the logo and slogan signifies a positive move to improving, consistently, the cruise product that HAL provides.

If so, we the guests will benefit!

I believe it was in the early 1970's that HAL changed their logo at the time when the trans-Atlantic crossings became much less important than their cruise business. They even changed their name from Holland America Line to Holland America Cruises. I sailed under both "banners" and my cruise experiences were equally good. Several years later, the Company returned to the name of Holland America Line with the traditional logo. (I have no idea why.) A change in logo means little, I found. At least. at that time.

What is important is what we guests experience during our cruise.

The previous tag line of "Signature of Excellence", given the inconsistency of cruise experience that I have had during its "tenure", was something that HAL has had trouble meeting on every ship, on every cruise.

I have my opinions as to why this is and I have expressed them on this Message Board. Perhaps Mr. Ashford's decision to change the logo and slogan signifies a positive move to improving, consistently, the cruise product that HAL provides.

If so, we the guests will benefit!

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you regarding the tag line -- about time for a change and I can see why "Signature of Excellence" could be thrown back at them when something goes awry.

But the logo change is a lot more expensive given every place that it appears and it seems that money could have been better spent else where. I agree that a change in the logo means little, which is my point. I don't think it will get them one new customer and the cost just doesn't seem worth it.

I suspect that the subtlety of the design change means that things like china and flatware will not be replaced outright, new pieces will be used concurrently with existing. JMO.

Ship's funnel markings, paper materials and the like will be replaced more quickly.

Looks like HAL's new president couldn't resist making his mark by messing with the logo. The new tag line, Savory the Journey, is nice and the tag line should be updated periodically. But why mess with the logo, which is on everything HAL to include the flatware in the dining room? And, to me, the removal of the Half Moon is a disavowal of HAL's heritage. I don't get it.

I'm guessing that the idea was to evolve the logo by making it simpler, hence more modern, yet still recognizable. The blue bow takes on more of an abstract quality without the Half Moon in the foreground, and I would guess that this makes it much easier to render the logo in a variety of formats. The font seems to have evolved as well. I like the new Savor the Journey slogan.

When we were on the Eurodam in October, there was new china in the Pinnacle Grill.

JMO -- but I don't care for it.

If I recall correctly I think it's orange and like a "basket weave" pattern?

I DO, however, like the new PG logo but while I felt the Bvlgari plates needed to be changed out for something else, these orange chargers would not have been my first choice

But the logo change is a lot more expensive given every place that it appears and it seems that money could have been better spent else where. I agree that a change in the logo means little, which is my point. I don't think it will get them one new customer and the cost just doesn't seem worth it.
I agree completely. :)