HAL Credit Card Points Bonus?

Tom O.

I have had the Barclay Bank HAL credit card for a while, and I am very familiar how the program works. Purchases with HAL are supposed to earn 2 points per dollar, while all other purchases are supposed to earn 1 point.

This week I purchased two ships excursions online from HAL. I checked my online statement to make sure I got double points.

Lo' and behold! I somehow earned triple points on these two excursions. I double checked the rules - they have not changed. Also about three weeks ago I made my initial deposit on the cruise, I received the normal double points for that.

Is HAL having some kind of special where you earn extra points for excursions right now? Or is it like that old Monopoly Game card that says "Bank error in your favor, earn $50"?

I have had the Barclay Bank HAL credit card for a while, and I am very familiar how the program works. Purchases with HAL are supposed to earn 2 points per dollar, while all other purchases are supposed to earn 1 point.

This week I purchased two ships excursions online from HAL. I checked my online statement to make sure I got double points.

Lo' and behold! I somehow earned triple points on these two excursions. I double checked the rules - they have not changed. Also about three weeks ago I made my initial deposit on the cruise, I received the normal double points for that.

Is HAL having some kind of special where you earn extra points for excursions right now? Or is it like that old Monopoly Game card that says "Bank error in your favor, earn $50"?

Not sure on the specifics but one thing is certain... don't call them up to ask :eek:

I got triple points on a couple of things last year ... a wine package and some Tamarind reservations ... but not on reservations or pre-purchases since then. I never asked and don't know why.

edit: correction - I did get triple points on Tamarind reservations I made a month ago, and for the full $20 pp, not the discounted price for being 4*. That reminds me of another thing: at one time they said they would be changing the system so that we would only pay the discounted price initially. I guess Barclay doesn't want to do that. :)

Edited by jtl513

You and I discussed this awhile ago, I guess you didn't see my response to you here, post #27 :) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48238966#post48238966

Edited by Cruising-along

You and I discussed this awhile ago, I guess you didn't see my response to you here, post #27 :) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48238966#post48238966

Yes, I remember that discussion. Somehow I missed your comment on triple points, or else it didn't sink in.

Now I am thinking I will make all my dining reservations as soon as I can, and maybe even ordering myself a gift of a couple bottles of Jim Beam, so I can take advantage of the deal

It is not very good marketing on their part to offer a special deal and then not announce it.

Yes, I remember that discussion. Somehow I missed your comment on triple points, or else it didn't sink in.

Now I am thinking I will make all my dining reservations as soon as I can, and maybe even ordering myself a gift of a couple bottles of Jim Beam, so I can take advantage of the deal

It is not very good marketing on their part to offer a special deal and then not announce it.

I agree, they should announce this. This is at least the 2nd year they've given triple points, we never saw any announcement either time.

Yes, get everything you can now! :D