Airfare high

cruisewiththekids

I'm looking for airfare to FLL on 12/15, and Delta has the best itinerary for me, but the fare is about 450 RT. Normally I would expect to pay around 200 or less. When I checked the seat availability, the flights down and back were nearly empty. What's up with that? I could see that high of a fare if the plane was nearly full, but don't they want to fill the plane? I'm coming from Akron, Ohio.

What's up with that? I could see that high of a fare if the plane was nearly full, but don't they want to fill the plane?
It's not a question of whether the flight is full now, but of how full the airline expects it to be by the time of departure. Very crudely, if they believe that they can sell out the aircraft at $450 fares, then they're not going to sell $200 tickets. Similarly crudely, if they only sold half the seats at $450 they'd still be making more money than if they sold every seat at $200. If they expect to do only that, they're still better off making you choose between paying $450 or pushing you to some other carrier that will sell a $200 ticket. That's the way they try to prise out of you every last dollar that you're actually prepared to pay for your flight, which is the name of the game in a deregulated air travel market.

I can find much lower fares, but the itinerary doesn't suit as well. Maybe I'll hold off a while. If they aren't selling any seats at 450, maybe they'll drop the price.

They might just cancel the flight or combine it with a earlier or later flight that day. Lots of schedules are changing on a daily basis.

remember you are also in that holiday time, when I was looking for air from seattle to fll for dec 4th, I was told it was a good thing we were coming home on the 12th because that's when the airfares jump for holiday travel. good luck

I'm looking for airfare to FLL on 12/15, and Delta has the best itinerary for me, but the fare is about 450 RT. Normally I would expect to pay around 200 or less. When I checked the seat availability, the flights down and back were nearly empty. What's up with that? I could see that high of a fare if the plane was nearly full, but don't they want to fill the plane? I'm coming from Akron, Ohio.

Most of the cheap fares to FLL are already gone during the holiday period-Dec. 12-January 4. There were some tremendous sales about a month ago to Florida.

Just because the seat map shows the plane is 1/2 empty doesn't mean it is so. The airline seat maps are a VERY unreliable indicator of load on a plane. Not everyone picks a seat, not all airlines assign seats, not all airlines' computer interface picks a seat. I am flying AA this afternoon. Went to pick a seat-plane looked 1/2 empty. Nope, plane is almost full. Had to call the elite desk to get the seat I wanted.

In this day and age, with fuel being what it is, more people traveling than ever before, and less planes in the sky, prices have no where to go but UP. Good luck.

I usually go with Airtran, but from CAK to FLL their flight times are really not very good.

The best deal is Continental out of Cleveland, nonstop, but I would have to travel the same day as the cruise, Thursday, arriving at 10:50 a.m. I know I've been advised against this, and it does make me nervous since it is winter in Cleveland.

Thanks. I could get something out of Cleveland with one stopover. It's just much closer and more convenient to go out of Akron-Canton. Southwest always seems like a stampede to get a seat, and with two small children in tow, I was hoping to avoid that.

I think I'll sit back and wait for a little while and see if anything pops up. Flight schedules with small children make things a little harder, because I'm trying to have them miss the least amount of school, plus not have to get them out of bed extremely early in the morning or get in at 11 or 12 at night.

Thanks for all your input.

Definitely, you will be allowed to pre-board with the children. Call S.W. and speak to their very helpful reps and they will advise the necessary steps to take. I've seen much older children pre-boarding...a whole family of 7 (2 adults) and the rest kids who looked to be about 2 yrs to 14 yrs of age.

Ruthie

Pre-boarding is the reason I refuse to wait in the cattle chutes if I have an A boarding pass ... it's not like I'm going to be at the front of the plane with all of the pre-boards, and sitting on the floor for an hour is not worth saving an extra 5 minutes getting off of the plane.

Oh, really? I thought it was just people traveling with infants that got to preboard. My kids are 4 and 6. You think they would let us preboard? I was concerned about not being able to find 4 seats together.

Just in case, SW allows you to check in for all flights starting at 12:01 am on day of travel. Check in the night before and you will be in group A. You shouldn't have trouble finding seats together even if you are the last to board in group A. You might have to sit at the back of the plane assuming the other 40 people all took a separate row from each other but you should still be able to find seats together.

Archived