What is the 1 Most Important Thing you Forgto to Pack?

take us away

There are some items that never leave the suitcase, as they are needed for both land trips and cruises - all are replaceable, but can be expensive or time-consuming to track down in foreign territory. Makes packing easier.

immodium, decongestant pills and cough medicine ( our familiar brands not easy to find in some places - went once to 4 drugstores in Horta looking for good cough medicine with DM and Holland didn't have anything like Sudafed or Benedryl without prescription), LL Bean travel alarm, binoculars, cloth bags for packing shoes in, European hair dryer, Qtips, cotton squares, washcloths, disinfecting wipes, small Fabreeze spray, small wrinkle release spray, travel size Kleenex, bandaids and alcohol wipes, aspirin, makeup remover wipes, magnifying mirror, tp and wipes, slippers, notepaper and pen, yellow marker, postits, extra sunglasses, sunscreen, reading glasses, travel size hairspray and perfume-

Since these things are there when packing, it is easy to check and replenish supply if needed. I just add clothes, shoes, meds, makeup and I am good to go. But I did forget pantyhose one trip and had to go to Walmart in Sydney Canada.

On my trip to South America & Antarctica, I forgot my gloves. I found some in a market in Montevideo, but they were too big, so I didn't buy them. Luckily it wasn't very cold on my cruise, so most of the time I just put my hands in my jacket pockets, and a few times, I used socks as mittens.

Some years ago, on one of our first cruises "we" forgot to pack my husbands cuff-links for his formal night shirts.

We were a little reluctant to spend a great deal of money on the ship-board offerings so I ended up sewing him into his evening shirts every formal night!

And cutting him out of them at the end of the evening!!

Now a box of cuff-links have a permanent home in his carry-on bag!

The cruise before last DH was complaining that his suit pants were too tight and that he could hardly do them up. I took a closer look and realised he'd packed a suit that he'd had when he was a little slimmer. He also had forgotten ties. He did have a better fitting suit - at home.

Last cruise, he complained again that he could hardly do his pants up. You've guessed it. He'd brought the same suit again :D. Luckily he had brought ties because they were needed to cover the stapled up waistband! Fortunately for him there were only two gala nights on that cruise.

Yes, I will be checking more closely next time! Not quite a 'what I forgot' story but still quite funny.

Ozcruizer

Prescription eye drops on a cruise.

My husband left his jacket at home on the door hanger when we were going to Paris. As it turned out, the plane never took off and we didn't leave. No jacket would have meant no nice restaurants.

Edited by mamaofami

It blows me away completely that you ladies don't pack for your DHs!

I would love to get out of doing my DH's packing, but he would do not much but throw in some undies, socks and t-shirts. After that it would be a blank and I would, at minimum, have to tell him what he needs to pack, down to the last cuff link!

And he really appreciates not having to do this "detail" work. Is there something in the genetic code about men and details? I think there must be!

Oooooh, don't give me ideas!!!!!

Gets worse - have a column for 'prepared' and another column for 'packed' which gets color-coded. - have 3 suitcases this trip so pink, green and blue markers were used as always anticipate 1 bag will be delayed. The socks are colored a lot! Then there is the black checks for carry-on!

My DH was responsible for his own packing but only after I reviewed the list!

Edited by take us away

Gets worse - have a column for 'prepared' and another column for 'packed' which gets color-coded. - have 3 suitcases this trip so pink, green and blue markers were used as always anticipate 1 bag will be delayed. The socks are colored a lot! Then there is the black checks for carry-on!

Dear fellow 5 star:

So this is how we got to that level without disasters in packing? Sounds about right!

There is another thing: anticipating that one bag (or more!) will get lost. This is the one that makes me want to leave from a home port all the time. I figure I have a much better chance of ending up with all bags intact and accounted for if I don't fly in.

But, unlike some professionals I could name, I don't have an actual plan for how to pack for lost bags! Good for you!

I would love to get out of doing my DH's packing, but he would do not much but throw in some undies, socks and t-shirts. >SNIP<

DH will not allow me to pack for him. Asks whether or not we will be getting a laundry package, then counts out his undies and socks. Asks if he can wear jeans to dinner (NO!) and then away he goes, packing. See my previous post about him not being prepared for the Caribbean :)

Just curious - how long a cruise for 3 suitcases? Do you have to fly to your embarkation port?

DH will not allow me to pack for him. Asks whether or not we will be getting a laundry package, then counts out his undies and socks. Asks if he can wear jeans to dinner (NO!) and then away he goes, packing. See my previous post about him not being prepared for the Caribbean :)

I did. Ha, ha on him!

I would love to get out of doing my DH's packing, but he would do not much but throw in some undies, socks and t-shirts. After that it would be a blank and I would, at minimum, have to tell him what he needs to pack, down to the last cuff link!

And he really appreciates not having to do this "detail" work. Is there something in the genetic code about men and details? I think there must be!

I am quoting myself on this one, because it just occurred to me we are talking only about clothes and shoes.

So, who is responsible for packing all the "little stuff" such as sunglasses, maps, cameras, toothpaste and toothbrushes, cough syrup, tylenol, bandaids, you know what I mean?

Edited by SilvertoGold

I'm another with a master packing list on my computer that I adapt for each trip. At this point, I don't use it as anything but a reference to remind me AFTER I've packed.

HOWEVER..... my issue is things being left behind WHILE traveling. One trip in England had my husband leaving his American Express card at the train depot, which we discovered oh-so-many train miles later. We had another card, but he really wanted to use AmEx for the extras (points / whatever). So we had a very entertaining conversation with AmEx on Skype to 1. cancel the card left behind, and 2. get a new card sent to a future destination in England..... it all worked, but it was a struggle. Of course, they wanted to send it to our home address!

Same trip - left one B & B, drove two hours to the next. Discovered that my zip-lock baggies with ALL my undies and bras were left behind. We drove back to pick them up next day. And yes - THANK THE LORD - they were clean - we had just done the laundry.

Once, for a 4-day trip, I had packed my DH one set of PJs. Sounds reasonable.....on the first night, he spilled a drink on his lap so there went the PJs! After that, I always packed at least one more of everything! Now that my daughter is grown and doesn't travel with us as often, that isn't such an issue but that night he grumbled so much that I went to store in the hotel and paid 75.00 for a pair of sweat pants!

We always bring our own wine - my DH had carefully packed it in it's own suitcase and put it next to the door. We drove to Ft Lauderdale and after checking in to our hotel, I suggested we break out one our bottles. After all, we brought over a case for 7 days, so it was all good. We looked around ---- and no wine suitcase. My DH had left it behind. Jeez --- so we dashed out and found a wine store and replaced everything. Next morning we were getting ready to head to the terminal and my DH got out of the shower. That's when he remembered that he had used his t-shirts, underwear and socks to pad the wine. Off to Target we went! Lol, the first thing we did after boarding was to get a stiff drink.

Once, for a 4-day trip, I had packed my DH one set of PJs. Sounds reasonable.....on the first night, he spilled a drink on his lap so there went the PJs! After that, I always packed at least one more of everything! Now that my daughter is grown and doesn't travel with us as often, that isn't such an issue but that night he grumbled so much that I went to store in the hotel and paid 75.00 for a pair of sweat pants!

Sleeping without PJs is free! :D

So, who is responsible for packing all the "little stuff" such as sunglasses, maps, cameras, toothpaste and toothbrushes, cough syrup, tylenol, bandaids, you know what I mean?

I do all the packing. And we travel a lot! (My Sis does NOT pack for BIL; each couple is different!)

My DH works very hard and pays for everything! Making sure he has everything he needs on trips is "my job".

Fortunately we both have enjoyed reducing what I pack, even for cruises. We did take that one notch too far -- on a land trip to Ecuador, we packed VERY small tiny suitcases, hardly bigger than attache cases. Not big enough for a second pair of shoes... you guessed it, as we were going down the ramp to meet our guide in Quito, the heel fell off my shoe-boot! I was very lucky that our hotel was only a few blocks away from a sort of city shopping mall (multi-story in a block of buildings) where I was able to find a pair of cross-trainers that fit me.

I didn't list that as Forgetting Something, though, because it was intended.

Edited by crystalspin

Just curious - how long a cruise for 3 suitcases? Do you have to fly to your embarkation port?

World cruise 115 days and driving to the port. Part of my fare is that HAL (FedEx) is picking up 2 suitcases which are being shipped to the port so I will only have 1 duffle and a carry-on with meds, jewelry, computer, etc.

Back when my DH was still here, I was responsible for the extras - have a separate list for the general stuff, camera chargers, binoculars, OTC meds, clothes pins, etc etc etc.

Edited by take us away

World cruise 115 days and driving to the port. Part of my fare is that HAL (FedEx) is picking up 2 suitcases which are being shipped to the port so I will only have 1 duffle and a carry-on with meds, jewelry, computer, etc.

Back when my DH was still here, I was responsible for the extras - have a separate list for the general stuff, camera chargers, binoculars, OTC meds, clothes pins, etc etc etc.

Thanks for the explanation. Have a wonderful cruise.

My SIL and BIL 'forgot' a day. They stopped by for a few days before driving to FLL for a cruise. They went down a day early to see some art exhibit in FLL and thankfully they decided to check into the hotel before going to the art museum. Found out at the hotel that they were a day late, their ship was in port, and she still will not speak about the cruise.....The BIL has always handled everything and she just 'came along' (to each their own) - that will probably change.

I do all my husband's packing. He hasn't a clue what he is taking until we unpack in our cabin. If I left him to his own devices it would be a recipe for disaster. I think you are right about genetics-----a small defect. :D

I start setting things out about five weeks before the cruise and put his things in one bedroom and mine in another. We tend to take longer cruises so I start early. I work from a list that I have been compiling for months. When it is time to pack I cross pack both our clothes in four suitcases with outfits that go together so that even if bags are lost we will both have outfits we can wear.

I use packing cubes to store all the bits and pieces such as lanyards, hole punch, bottle opener, post it notes, band aids, OTC meds etc.. I don't worry about putting OTC meds in a checked bag as they are easily replaced.

We travel to the port three days early so I have the suitcase that holds everything we will want pre cruise marked so we only have to open one suitcase in the hotel. That saves a lot of searching around.

I take along a list of liquid type supplies to pick up in the port prior to sailing so that nothing is forgotten there---and I do mean shampoo, lotions etc in addition to wine. :)

Before I close each suitcase I place an information sheet with contact information and the name of our hotel and cruise ship/date on top. I do up two airline tags for each bag as I have seen them accidentally torn off in the past.

I also attach two HAL tags on each bag prior to boarding for the same reason.

I use distinctive luggage straps on our bags so they can be spotted easily on the luggage carousel. That way if someone grabs a bag before it gets to us we can see that. The straps reduce the possibility of mistaken identity anyway. They also make the bags easy to spot among the jumble of bags upon disembarkation.

To further make it unlikely someone may mistakenly grab a bag I put a piece of yellow duct tape with our last name in indelible marker on the side of the bag.