Interior vs Veranda cost question

princesstiffany

I have normally been cruising on a different cruise line but I really want to take my niece on a Disney cruise. Disney looks to be more expensive (duh- of course it is it's magic!). It looks like the price difference between cabin types (interior, ocean view, verandah, etc) may be less on Disney than other cruise lines which really tempts me to upgrade the cabin. It would just be me and my 11 year old niece ( and we both LOVE the magic of Disney). Would you recommend upgrading the cabin on a 4 night Carribbean cruise or should we save our pennies to spend on fairy dust ( the glittery kind:)

Any help would be welcome. Thank you!

( by the way "Princess Tiffany" is my dog's name. Some Carnival folks gave me a really nasty time about the name so I don't post much.

I've been in all sorts of cabins on DCL. My experience is that the shorter the cruise, the less time I spend in my cabin (there's just too much to do!). Of course, with a verandah, I'm more tempted to spend time in the cabin.

The price difference depends on the cruise. On one we have booked this spring, a verandah costs twice the price of an inside! Just depends on bookings. You don't say which ship you are on. On the Dream, an inside cabin will have the "virtual porthole" which is fun.

SO....If I were a first time cruiser for 4 nights on the Dream, I'd book the inside cabin. I'd enjoy the virtual porthole and love my time around the ship. If I were on the Magic or Wonder, it would be a little harder choice to make because they don't have the virtual portholes. I'd still probably go inside with the philosophy that I wouldn't spend much time in the cabin anyhow except for sleeping and changing clothes and I could spend the extra money on fun things.

I've been in inside cabins on the Magic and the Fantasy...and I've been in balconies on the Magic and Wonder. So I'm not naive.

If you will be happy with an inside stateroom, you can keep that and use your extra $s for excursions and on board activities. You can also ask if there are any upgrades available when you check in at the port and decide at that moment if you want to pay more for a different room.

I've always been comfortable with an oceanview, rather than a verandah, because for my clausterphobia, I just need to 'see' the outside (which is why I could never sail in an inside cabin).

Given that my family uses the cabin solely for sleeping and showering and we're on deck all day, the cost differential for a balcony has never made sense for us.

We find verandahs to be too expensive, so we always go for oceanview on Disney.

Have you heard about the 'secret porthole' cabins? They're classified as insides, but have an obstructed window, so at least you could see daylight/the weather.

http://www.mousesavers.com/disney-cruise-line-discounts-and-advice/disney-cruise-line-planning-advice-tips-and-tricks/#porthole

The secret porthole staterooms are only on Magic and Wonder.