Explorer hit by 150knot Squall

Thanks for the videos Bitter_ bulldog.:D

I'll be on her in the middle of Tasman this time next week - she better be a bit more behaved & not so full of wind [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

If it was the same system that hit Sydney yesterday then it was a double whammy for the Explorer because the ships departure from Sydney was delayed because of a number of passengers not being able to fly into Sydney because of the storm. She was originally rescheduled to leave around 7pm (after the noro clean up)but don't think she got away until about 9 or 10 pm.... so the storm got her twice.

Wound up leaving 8:15. The weather treated us nicely, and seems most if not all got on in the end.

We were on noro watch (restrictions) all cruise, but cleared up by the end, so no real issues there.

Unfortunately, other issues in this cruise, though of the line's making rather than external issues. :(

Wound up leaving 8:15. The weather treated us nicely, and seems most if not all got on in the end.

We were on noro watch (restrictions) all cruise, but cleared up by the end, so no real issues there.

Unfortunately, other issues in this cruise, though of the line's making rather than external issues. :(

What issues?

What issues?

A mix of issues. Mostly that it was poorly organised and the cruise director wasn't really good (aside from as a comedian). The worst was the tendering, which was a shemozzle, but 2/3 of the cruise ports of this itin.

The significantly increased capacity after refurb was an issue again as it was for Voyager, particularly with the buffet. There were other cases of wrong instructions from the CD, some with bad consequences, and it isn't good if you can't trust what he says. Loved the comment from one staff member who made a joke about tender ticket one, and then said "Too soon?" It also was bad for the crew.

These ships weren't built for tendering, and it was really evident. In cruise itins like NZ and Australia where they only need to dock, the remaining issues would be minor.

I'm thinking of writing a review as it had some firsts and interesting elements -not sure if I'll get the chance.

A mix of issues. Mostly that it was poorly organised and the cruise director wasn't really good (aside from as a comedian). The worst was the tendering, which was a shemozzle, but 2/3 of the cruise ports of this itin.

The significantly increased capacity after refurb was an issue again as it was for Voyager, particularly with the buffet. There were other cases of wrong instructions from the CD, some with bad consequences, and it isn't good if you can't trust what he says. Loved the comment from one staff member who made a joke about tender ticket one, and then said "Too soon?" It also was bad for the crew.

These ships weren't built for tendering, and it was really evident. In cruise itins like NZ and Australia where they only need to dock, the remaining issues would be minor.

I'm thinking of writing a review as it had some firsts and interesting elements -not sure if I'll get the chance.

Sorry to hear that The Big M. Would be interested in reading your review if you do get the chance.

Loved Graham, no issues on our cruise just before yours.

We only tendered once though, it went pretty smooth actually.

I am on the Radiance at the moment and did a bridge tour today and got confirmation of the 150 knot wind. Apparently the Explorer tried to turn the ship to counteract the wind but it was extremely difficult and slow.

Ok thanks for that. The captain mentioned a course correction. Did they say which way they tried to go, turning the ship away from the wind or into the wind?

A mix of issues. Mostly that it was poorly organised and the cruise director wasn't really good (aside from as a comedian).

I second this, on previous cruises everywhere you turned the cruise director was there. either saying hello and walking around or keeping us informed on what was happening even a phone call to anyone sick that had reported to sick bay (my wife had athsma not bodgy botty).

The worst was the tendering, which was a shemozzle, but 2/3 of the cruise ports of this itin.

This was a crapfight... put simply unorganised and not a lot of info put out to guests on how it would run, instead of telling people only one person per cabin/group needed to pickup tender tickets it was open slather, if it was publicised a bit more the process would of been smoother.

It didnt help half the announcements didnt go over the speaker in your room (we had a suite) so we had to prop open the door to hear anything even though we reported it. They did get speaker working day 11 of 14..

Ok thanks for that. The captain mentioned a course correction. Did they say which way they tried to go, turning the ship away from the wind or into the wind?

From my understanding they turned away from the wind. Although more as an act to get the turn to force the ship to lean the other way rather then just getting away from the wind.

We suffered a similar knockdown on Radiance of the Seas a couple of years ago. It WAS rather spooky. There was virtually so sea at all (the wind came quickly out of nowhere, it was a frontal change) and no swell (you need a long ocean fetch to build big swells. )

Barry

I don't know if it's a case of existing staff just not being familiar with the tender process (because they've never had to do it), or if it's a case of the tenders not being suitable. Larger Freedom class ships tender ashore at some of the Caribbean ports, but they use "tender boats" from the port of call. Usually the "tenders" that they use are a lot larger than your standard ship tenders.

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/freedom-of-the-seas-358/tender-boat-123453/tender-boat--v7418295/

Maybe RCI should've investigated if this was an option at their tender ports...?

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if it's a case of existing staff just not being familiar with the tender process (because they've never had to do it), or if it's a case of the tenders not being suitable. Larger Freedom class ships tender ashore at some of the Caribbean ports, but they use "tender boats" from the port of call. Usually the "tenders" that they use are a lot larger than your standard ship tenders.

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/freedom-of-the-seas-358/tender-boat-123453/tender-boat--v7418295/

Maybe RCI should've investigated if this was an option at their tender ports...?

The South Pacific Islands where they visit this isn't an option e.g. Mystery Island, Lifou.

RCL do use this in AU ports where available e.g. Airlie Beach.