Buffet Etiquette

QTPieRye

You would think with all the "experience" Carnival has with ships that they would design the buffets to be more friendly and lay it out so that everyone does not need to get in one giant line. Seems like other cruise lines know how to design ships better.

Isn't this exactly what they did with the Sunshine? I figured they'd use those island stations on the Vista too now, right? It's just that they can't immediately retrofit every ship with a new buffet area and I'm sure even when adding upgrades, it takes a backseat to other, more pressing issues that are the actual 2.0 upgrades.

You would think with all the "experience" Carnival has with ships that they would design the buffets to be more friendly and lay it out so that everyone does not need to get in one giant line. Seems like other cruise lines know how to design ships better.

That is also one of the things that I just do not get with Carnival. It is almost like they want you to have to wait in lines. A lot of the "Cutting" would be unnecessary if the design were improved.

I will say that Carnival has by far the WORST set up for a buffet of any cruise line I have been on. The guy who designed the buffet lines on Carnival must have done so with his eyes closed and long lines in his mind!! RCI, Celebrity, and Disney have much better set-ups and lines are not nearly as common... Many different smaller stations so as not to cause a backup, whereas Carnival has everyone line up for most anything. And yes I have cruised Carnival 10 times on 5 ships, so I speak from experience. We still like Carnival, but the buffet lines need revamped and redesigned!

Now that said, the design lends itself to people having to "butt in" for one or two items to keep from standing in line for 5-10 minutes or more....:D:D

I don't think this is the "right" answer, but I am just happy in a buffet line if people aren't sneezing or touching food they aren't taking. I have a short fuse about little stuff like cutting in line so I generally don't eat at the buffet. I don't think there's anything wrong with the buffet at all. But I realize I have some silly issues that I don't want to toss out at everyone else. So- uptight line and buffet people- eat in the MDR or get room service. I think the OP is right on point.

The one thing that drives me crazy is when people start eating on the buffet. That usually leads to licking their fingers and touching more tongs or serving spoons.

On the Legend earlier this year I called someone out for that and she started yelling at me. When a worker came over to find out why and I explained he politely told the lady you really shouldn't do that and she stormed off. I saw her while walking around Victoria BC and she gave me a nasty look.

The people jumping in for something small is ok and doesn't bother me, but I hate when someone clearly passed on the eggs or decides they want more grits and try to push the line back 4 feet for an extra scoop.

I'm too new to really be granted an opinion around here. But, it would seem to me there are a whole host of different opinions as to what qualifies as rude or not (in fact, with my first sentence, some of you are nodding your heads and some of you are shaking them).

Hell, I did a San Francisco trip a few weeks ago and decided to park the car and take some light rail to my destination. A homeless, smelly Asian female boarded the trolley and say down right next to me, even pushing me over a bit, despite the fact that was plenty of seats all around. :confused: Rude? I'd say so! But maybe not to her or her culture, etc.

Anyways, back on subject, sadly, I don't think we are going to convince anybody either way, just get a bunch of opinions as to why it's okay to "cut" and why it's not okay to use the perfectly good and empty second station.

Me? I'm kind of weird. I'm not shy by any stretch of the imagination. But I do have this strange exception of an anxiety that makes me scared to death of offending someone (unless we are arguing politics) that if I even think cutting in line would possibly offend someone, I don't. I'm patient.

In general, I just wait. Patiently. Happily. And browse FB or play a game or surf the Cruise Critic Forums.

I'm too new to really be granted an opinion around here. But, it would seem to me there are a whole host of different opinions as to what qualifies as rude or not (in fact, with my first sentence, some of you are nodding your heads and some of you are shaking them).

Hell, I did a San Francisco trip a few weeks ago and decided to park the car and take some light rail to my destination. A homeless, smelly Asian female boarded the trolley and say down right next to me, even pushing me over a bit, despite the fact that was plenty of seats all around. :confused: Rude? I'd say so! But maybe not to her or her culture, etc.

Anyways, back on subject, sadly, I don't think we are going to convince anybody either way, just get a bunch of opinions as to why it's okay to "cut" and why it's not okay to use the perfectly good and empty second station.

Me? I'm kind of weird. I'm not shy by any stretch of the imagination. But I do have this strange exception of an anxiety that makes me scared to death of offending someone (unless we are arguing politics) that if I even think cutting in line would possibly offend someone, I don't. I'm patient.

In general, I just wait. Patiently. Happily. And browse FB or play a game or surf the Cruise Critic Forums.

Welcome....you and your opinion. CC rules do not require any time on here to voice opinions - when they are sought, feel free to give!

I don't ever cut in the line, as I have found the lines to be no more then 3 to5 min to get something other then made to order eggs. However, I don't have an issue if someone does not want to wait a min or two just to grab one item. To me, I am on vacation, to take an extra 3 min in line because of my error in forgetting to grab something is not a big deal.

By the time you wait 3 to 5 minutes in 3 to 4 lines everything on your breakfast plate is cold so I believe it's okay to request permission to get an item off an area without waiting through the entire line when you're just getting the one item.

By the time you wait 3 to 5 minutes in 3 to 4 lines everything on your breakfast plate is cold so I believe it's okay to request permission to get an item off an area without waiting through the entire line when you're just getting the one item.

THAT's a main reason that breakfast in the MDR is 1000x's better than buffet!:D

Can't wait for my next cruise.....I'm gonna go to the buffet in my robe...cut in line not once but multiple times all the while eating some bacon and Danish and then go back and cut in the bacon area Again because I've finished my bacon and need more.....then when I'm done eating I'm gonna go right outside the buffet and smoke a cigarette.....Faster to the Fun means cutting in line, Right? Lol

Just kidding bout everything of course but personally if I'm not having salad I'll cut up ahead right where the salad bar stops and politely say Excuse me I'm not getting salad and have never had a problem....there's usually a kinda a gap in the line there anyway.....

Who cares if someone hops in for an item(s) in the middle of the buffet?

It is a buffet line people and not the "we're doling out a million dollars" line.

They don't need even need to ask me if they can, just a "I'm grabbing X". Have at it says I, it isn't like it is the last of X.

I care! Especially when it is a family of five. Wish people were as tolerant when I forgot peas, I was treat as if I had committed a real faux pas:D

We only ate twice in the buffet this time. First lunch and one breakfast, enough for me. Lots of kids poking at it too.

This reminds me of a Costco trip a couple weeks ago.

There was a line of maybe 15 people waiting to have their receipts checked and exit the store.

I was up to about 3rd in line when this woman comes scurrying up, dodges in front of me and hands the checker her receipt.

I said, "Don't you see this line?"

She replied, "Oh yes, but I'm in a hurry."

Just wait until slow Sally or sloth Steve make their way through and use the gap to your advantage. The people that move through the line like Sally and Steve are quite ubiquitous. It helps everyone as you're one less person clogging the line behind Sally and Steve.

I have never cut...but that doesn't mean I won't need to next cruise. I can say that my son has ran back to the line to grab some condiments or one thing and has always been treated nicely. Granted he has impeccable manners and a sweet southern drawl that usually swoons the nearest teenage girls, charms the middle age women, and had the grandmas wrapped around his finger.

He knows how to work the system!

I think a simple excuse me, may I .... Should be sufficient. If I saw the person getting bristled about it, I would just ask the person behind them.

I'm on vacay, I don't want nor need any drama!