Buffet Etiquette

QTPieRye

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days (and other threads with similar notions.) I'm about "ready to bust" to say that I don't like the layout of the grill buffet on Lido (where burgers and hot dogs are served on ships with pre-2.0 layouts.)

I don't want a burger or hot dog... I want the chicken fingers that are located at the VERY END of the buffet line...

I don't want to stand in a line of 20 people while they ask for a burger this way or a hot dog and have the grill workers stare at me making my way ALL THE WAY down the buffet line telling them "no, I don't want a burger" (yes, I've done this before and it's downright stupid that I feel I should have to)...

Now I stand off the end of the buffet line and watch for a slowdown in the line. I dive in and grab some chicken fingers and honey mustard sauce. The last time I did this, the lady at the head of the line practically sprinted toward me (okay, maybe not, but it sure felt that way.)

Help me not feel guilty... LOL...

PS- I'm going on the Fascination in January and I'm feeling like a rebel and craving me some chicken fingers (maybe that's the Star Wars talking?!?) ;-)

May the force be with you (and chicken fingers be with me.)

Didn't we all learn about lines when we were in kindergarten?

Try as I might I don't remember the teacher providing us a list of acceptable reasons to cut into a line.

Yes, ^^ this.

Everyone 'just wants' a carton of milk, a slice of cheese, an apple, a muffin.........

Wait your turn. IMO

What we have learned from this thread is that everyone has different opinions and views on what is considered polite or rude. So the key is to go and understand everyone is different and to be a little more tolerant when you see something you consider inappropriate behavior.

I like the way you think! If only my next cruise could be full of BeachChiks!

Normally I don't mind if people cut in to get one thing if there isn't already a huge line with no gaps. On our most recent cruise we did a b2b on Liberty out of San Juan. On the first leg, it seems like all anyone did was eat 24/7. The lines were absolutely ridiculous and took even longer because so many people "cut in" to get one item. It seriously took us 10 minutes in line just to get to the stack of plates...another 10 minutes to get to the food. Note, this was early in the morning for breakfast! On the second part of the cruise it was much more typical. I don't like to rush while on a cruise, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I honestly see nothing wrong with cutting in for a quick "grab & go" item such as a butter or a carton of milk. It quite honestly doesn't hold up the line at all. It takes a split second to grab a carton of milk. I would do it without even really thinking about it. Of course I'd be polite & say "excuse me, I'm just grabbing X quickly". I wouldn't give a second thought to someone jumping in real quick in front of me to do the same.

In fact, in the cafeteria at my job it's considered commonplace to jump into the line to grab a ready made item while others are waiting for things that need to be cooked. It all comes down to being polite.

Then again I'm from Southern NY so generally I'm just happy & amazed to hear "excuse me" in a polite tone:D

I honestly see nothing wrong with cutting in for a quick "grab & go" item such as a butter or a carton of milk. It quite honestly doesn't hold up the line at all. It takes a split second to grab a carton of milk. I would do it without even really thinking about it. Of course I'd be polite & say "excuse me, I'm just grabbing X quickly". I wouldn't give a second thought to someone jumping in real quick in front of me to do the same.

In fact, in the cafeteria at my job it's considered commonplace to jump into the line to grab a ready made item while others are waiting for things that need to be cooked. It all comes down to being polite.

Then again I'm from Southern NY so generally I'm just happy & amazed to hear "excuse me" in a polite tone:D

What Drose said! Plus, it's a good idea to learn if your ship offers a "cafeteria line" or "station's". I've had people glare at me on a ship with "station's" when I moved from the back of the line to another "station", bypassing thing's I didn't want. YMMV :)!

• 3 months later...
By the time you wait 3 to 5 minutes in 3 to 4 lines everything on your breakfast plate is cold so I believe it's okay to request permission to get an item off an area without waiting through the entire line when you're just getting the one item.

Who are you kidding? The food was cold before you put it on your plate...

Just curious about buffet etiquette on the Lido deck...... I personally do not have any problem when somebody jumps into the line to grab one thing off the buffet, as I would prefer not to stand in a long line just to grab a couple pieces of sliced cheese! However, during my last 2 cruises out of Long Beach, I noticed that some people got really upset when people cut in just to grab something off the buffet.

I did find it very annoying that many cruisers are absentminded to the fact that there are tyically 2 omlette cooking stations. The line tends to get really long on one side, while other people just walk up towards the middle station! Not sure if this classifies as cutting lines... but I've done it myself. I used to tell the people in front of me that the other station was open... but really people?!?! Pay attention!

Sounds harmless, but imagine if everyone just started doing that. And there are those already on line waiting to come back to get that one thing they forgot.

I always pass the people looking for the perfect salad pieces, the gap can be quite large...

mostly little old ladies who have to have a perfect piece of lettuce or chicken or whatever and take forever to make their selection not noticing 40 people behind them waiting.

Just curious what was that red/pinkish stuff they were all grabbing for? :confused:

Shrimp, and they left plates of it on the table uneaten. I'm pretty sure the restaurant did not throw it out nor did it go to waste.:eek:

I think grabbing something small or prepackaged like some milk, an apple, piece of cheese, sauce or butter is ok. For the prepared food you should wait in the line like other people waiting on their turn to get food.

They have lots of bacon. Jump in and go.

Don't they call the Lido deck, buffet service not cafeteria style. My vision of buffets is that you can wander around and fill your plate with various food items from different locations. Of course some areas tend to be quite busy and lines do form...but it seems silly to me to stand in a line when the single item you want is "miles" away from the person in line who is stalled contemplating the single selection in front of them.

So often lines start at the entry and people seem to think they need to snake through the buffet in this Congo line. If all you want is a hot entree and the line is stalled at the salad bar shouldn't you be able to jump in front. If all you want is oatmeal should you have to stand in line as people load up with eggs and meats. Maybe I'm totally missing something.

Yes I agree, it is not a cafeteria. The same choice of food I repeated multiple times on both sides of the buffet (depending on layout) not only that but you often have three entry points usually one near the pool one from the back of the ship and another in the middle, it's nonsense to expect someone coming in from the rear to walk past empty food stations to queue at the front! Also if this was how the cruise line meant the buffet to be used they would have notices up telling guests to queue. Of course if there are people queueing for a particular dish or omelets , etc you wait your turn, but not if there are whole counters empty.