Help with disembarkation on Breakaway please

takeadip

Hi All,

So we are in a big group (18 people) for a wedding on Breakaway RT NYC 3/6/16-3/13/16.

Is there an easy way to make sure we all get off the ship roughly at the same time to get into a rented private bus? I dont think the driver wants to sit there at the pier for a couple of hours waiting for all of us to eventually get off the ship.

Whats the easiest less stressful way to get off the ship?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi All,

So we are in a big group (18 people) for a wedding on Breakaway RT NYC 3/6/16-3/13/16.

Is there an easy way to make sure we all get off the ship roughly at the same time to get into a rented private bus? I dont think the driver wants to sit there at the pier for a couple of hours waiting for all of us to eventually get off the ship.

Thanks,

Mark

Is the wedding arranged through NCL? If so ask the group service coordinator for your requested time and they should be able to get you sufficient luggage tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,

Mark

Its called walking off yourself, have everyone meet at XYZ location at XYZ time.........then walk off, or get in line to walk off. Can't get anymore easier than that

thanks to all...yes the wedding is booked through NCL.. i was just afraid like when we sail princess they color code you seemingly at random...everyone doing self walk off is prob best..is the buffet open the morning of walk off..?

Yes the buffet is available. Wedding might mean people will have a lot of luggage.. I would say many people will have 2 suitcases plus suit/dress bags. Given that you have to lug everything yourselves, all getting the same color might be better IMO.

If you are not n a hurry, get the last color. We've done self walk-off, and it can be chaos. Sit and relax while the masses stand in long lines.

Very much agree with mjkacmom about the chaos for self walk-off. People started lining up so early and the line to disembark took over all of deck 7. It was a bit of a pain slowly moving through that line with all of your luggage.

Upon embarkation, there should be a guide in everyone's stateroom about the process for disembarkation - and the color coded luggage system in use, with the last color/group typically scheduled around 10 AM with "time for all remaining passengers to get off" announcement in all the public area.

The colored luggage tags are typically available at the counter/table at or next to guest services by day 4 or 5, there's usually plenty of them for the "last" color group to disembark. Pack the non-essentials & let the crew handle the transfer, as it's a pretty long & sometimes steep walk up the gangways, down thru the terminal and the escalators/stairs (and elevators for those with accessible needs) into the lower level. It will all be laid out by color/zones inside the terminal & relatively easy to find - being the last group to come off the ship.

Porter's assistance are usually (if not always) avaiable to help speed thru CBP as there's an exclusive porter's only lane - and, depending on the private bus arrangement on the pickup location (as I don't believe that non-NCL buses are allowed to come inside/near the restricted area for passenger pickup) - porters can make the long walk across 12th Avenue easier for those bags. Remember to tip them nicely for their services - and, keep all the valuable items with your personal or smaller hand luggage.

If the NCL group coordinator can arrange for everyone to have the same color luggage tags (typically, all the cabin reservations for the group would be linked together) - and, it's also common for the group to board early (assuming everyone arrived & checked in early for the sailing).

BTW, congrats !

No stress free way to get off. We used elevators for embarkation but upon our return we were told that the elevators were unavailable. We were yelled at to stay left in single file and then suddenly we round the wall and were told to get on--- and my friend and I (both seniors and one age 82) stood our ground and refused to take the escalator with a large suitcase and large totes as well. They finally allowed us to use the elevators. It was a horrible situation. I need to write a letter to the port authority. This may not have any bearing on your situation but it does give you an indication of how helpful they will be.

Upon embarkation, there should be a guide in everyone's stateroom about the process for disembarkation...

Hmm.. that's new. On all of our cruises the guide has been delivered as an insert/addendum of Freestyle Daily couple of days before the cruise ends.

Hmm.. that's new. On all of our cruises the guide has been delivered as an insert/addendum of Freestyle Daily couple of days before the cruise ends.

That has been our experience as well on all of our NCL cruises, that the info about disembarkation isn't given until a couple days before the end of the cruise.