Pets On Board RCC Cruise

sjh422

I would rather be on a ship with dogs than kids...but to each their own right.

For some people, their dogs are like kids to them or maybe the only companion they have in life.

Based on my experience I have seen with dogs on board, they are much quieter, well behaved and cuter than most kids.....actually compared to a lot of adults on board as well...lol

That should get some responses....but its my opinion just like those who don't like or think dogs should be on ships.....fair is fair!

You post made me smile. I agree that most dogs are far better behaved than many children and their parents. We unfortunately ran into a few rude adults on our recent Allure cruise. I would much rather be in line with a nice service dog than the idiots we had to stand next to that evening.

Trained service dogs are trained to go only on command and/or on a specific substance. Either the disabled person or their companions are responsible for walking the dog and taking care of it's bathroom needs. This is not the crews responsibility. The ship will provide a "litter box" in an out of the way area of the promenade deck, which will be serviced by the crew a couple of times a day. The clean-up must be "red bagged" in biohazard bags, and burned in the incinerator. These requirements are all part of the USPH sanitation program.

This is not always the case. On our Liberty cruise this year we were sitting in the Schooner bar and a girl and her service dog walked by. After they had passed I noticed there were a few poops on the floor. I told the bartender and they called to have someone clean it up. It took a bit for the people to get there so we had to yell at people to watch where they were walking because they weren't looking at the floor while they were walking. People don't expect to have to watch out for poop while inside a cruise ship! So not all dogs or owners on a ship are properly trained

This is not always the case. On our Liberty cruise this year we were sitting in the Schooner bar and a girl and her service dog walked by. After they had passed I noticed there were a few poops on the floor. I told the bartender and they called to have someone clean it up. It took a bit for the people to get there so we had to yell at people to watch where they were walking because they weren't looking at the floor while they were walking. People don't expect to have to watch out for poop while inside a cruise ship! So not all dogs or owners on a ship are properly trained

I agree with your last sentence, that not all dogs or owners onboard are properly trained. My first sentence started off "trained service dogs". My point all along has been that there are scammers out there bringing their pets onboard and calling them service dogs. A quick google search will bring up as one of the first hits "take your dog anywhere as a service dog". Unfortunately, the cruise lines don't want the hassle of questioning (as they are permitted to) what service the animal provides. They can, and should, disembark any animal that messes outside the assigned area. This is a serious USPH sanitation violation, and if you see it again, I would recommend commenting to a senior supervisor that you are thinking of reporting this to the USPH (which would trigger an inspection).

Also, emotional support animals are not required to be trained at all, because in many cases, just their presence is the support that is required. This is why emotional support animals are not recognized under the ADA.

I know there was a post a year or two back that a passenger brought a small dog. The dog barked at people, sat on the owners lap in the dining room and got fed food off the plate, got left unattended in the cabin while it's owners went out for the night. I don't see that dog being any type of service animal.

I remember that "conversation"! The dog totally annoyed many people with the barking and also eating at the dining table. That did appear to be a case of someone just not willing to leave their pet at home.

When we walk the Promenade deck we often see the 4X4 areas for the dogs. We have been on cruises and have seen how well the dogs have cared for their owners. Absolutely amazing. I applaud the lines for allowing those with special needs to cruise. I also think some people need to appreciate that not everyone is going to love their dog eating at/on the table.

However, therapy dogs are not covered under the ADA, and are not supposed to be allowed onboard, though again the lines don't want the hassle of an ADA lawsuit.

Generally, the litter box is placed in an out of the way spot on the promenade deck, and gets serviced a couple of times a day. The "product" has to go into red biohazard bags and get burned in the incinerator. Sometimes, service dogs are trained only to go on specific materials, and we had one dog that would only go on cat litter, when we normally provided shredded newsprint. Home office didn't tell us of the need until embarkation day, so we scrambled out to Walmart to get some litter.

Your first sentence sums the whole thing up. Service dogs are covered by ADA rules and therapy dogs are not. There is no regulatory rule from the ADA for therapy dogs therefore allowing for their exclusion from being brought onboard a cruise ship.

Edited by Eng23

I agree with your last sentence, that not all dogs or owners onboard are properly trained. My first sentence started off "trained service dogs". My point all along has been that there are scammers out there bringing their pets onboard and calling them service dogs. A quick google search will bring up as one of the first hits "take your dog anywhere as a service dog". Unfortunately, the cruise lines don't want the hassle of questioning (as they are permitted to) what service the animal provides. They can, and should, disembark any animal that messes outside the assigned area. This is a serious USPH sanitation violation, and if you see it again, I would recommend commenting to a senior supervisor that you are thinking of reporting this to the USPH (which would trigger an inspection).

Also, emotional support animals are not required to be trained at all, because in many cases, just their presence is the support that is required. This is why emotional support animals are not recognized under the ADA.

I feel like you are thinking of "seeing eye dog" type of service dogs.

And if they aren't trained to THAT level, you don't believe they are a service dog, and are merely an emotional support dog.

But there is actually an in between. There are dogs that are not trained, and do not have to be trained, to the level of a seeing eye dog, but are still totally bonafide service dogs. Such as dogs that were either trained to, or just happen to, be able to sense blood sugar changes or impending seizures.

When I see an animal in a public place, I try to decide that it is a service dog that helps the person, and I move on. It keeps me happier.

On my last cruise (12-14-15) there was a couple with a small dog. They pushed the dog around in a baby carriage. The dog is clearly not a service dog so I was very surprised to see it allowed. I also wondered about the bathroom situation. I sure hope the "parents" cleaned up after the dog and that was not left to the stateroom attendant!

I do have to say the dog was very quiet and very well behaved. But still, it surprised me a dog would be allowed.

I really appreciate when I see a true service dog on the ship working and well behaved. However, when someone flat out tells you that their little dog is an emotional needs dog, that is wrong. They are using other people true disabilities, to take advantage and bring their dogs because they chose not to leave it at home.

I know there was a post a year or two back that a passenger brought a small dog. The dog barked at people, sat on the owners lap in the dining room and got fed food off the plate, got left unattended in the cabin while it's owners went out for the night. I don't see that dog being any type of service animal.

Under the ADA, the cruise lines are allowed to ask what type of service the animal performs. I think they should do this, and then disallow the comfort dogs as they are not recognized under the ADA.

I agree 100% with you. Some narcissistic people are taking full advantage of someone else's very real need. SHAME ON THEM. But honestly, someone like that feels no shame. But I will say it anyway SHAME ON THEM!

The reality is if someone is onboard with a service dog and you are allergic that in effect doesn't matter. Allergies are not a disability and if allergic you can leave the area to avoid the dog.

If only it were that simple. The real problem can occur after the animal has left the ship. Well trained service animals shouldn't be a issue. People that just bring their pet on board usually let them on the bed the couches chairs whatever is in the cabin. That is a lot of pressure on the steward on turn around. Trust me even if it isn't easily visible leftover pet dander is still a allergen if it contacts an allergic person. To many people think it is just a simple sneeze or two and that is it in my case casual contact in a open area that is usually the case but if it is lingering in the room and contacts my person lets just say it can be a ugly site.

Al

I feel like you are thinking of "seeing eye dog" type of service dogs.

And if they aren't trained to THAT level, you don't believe they are a service dog, and are merely an emotional support dog.

But there is actually an in between. There are dogs that are not trained, and do not have to be trained, to the level of a seeing eye dog, but are still totally bonafide service dogs. Such as dogs that were either trained to, or just happen to, be able to sense blood sugar changes or impending seizures.

When I see an animal in a public place, I try to decide that it is a service dog that helps the person, and I move on. It keeps me happier.

No, I am not. Anyone who has a dog trained to provide a disability service and who wants to take that dog into public places has the responsibility to train the dog in basic manners. This is a quote from the IAADP (International Association of Assistance Dog Partners), and is basically what the ADA requires:

3. Manners: a dog must acquire proper social behavior skills. It includes at a minimum:

•No aggressive behavior toward people or other animals - no biting, snapping, snarling, growling or lunging and barking at them when working off your property.

•No soliciting food or petting from other people while on duty.

•No sniffing merchandise or people or intruding into another dog’s space while on duty.

•Socialize to tolerate strange sights, sounds, odors etc. in a wide variety of public settings.

•Ignores food on the floor or dropped in the dog’s vicinity while working outside the home.

•Works calmly on leash. No unruly behavior or unnecessary vocalizations in public settings.

•No urinating or defecating in public unless given a specific command or signal to toilet in an appropriate place.

Please note the last requirement in particular.

If you can't train your dog to these standards, the dog should not be allowed into public spaces.

Ultimately we're discussing all these requirements and expectations but Royal will still continue to do business as usual. It's up to them to enforce it. I don't think a passenger on vacation should worry themselves enough as to calling senior officers or placing complaints simply because the rules weren't followed. If the dogs are there then it's safe to assume Royal has allowed them.

No, I am not. Anyone who has a dog trained to provide a disability service and who wants to take that dog into public places has the responsibility to train the dog in basic manners.

If you can't train your dog to these standards, the dog should not be allowed into public spaces.

Agreed agreed agreed. It's all about obedience training. And diabetic alert dogs and seizure alert dogs SHOULD be held to the same standards as a "seeing eye dog" or service dog for disabilities. Unfortunately some aren't

Edited by ryano

Ultimately we're discussing all these requirements and expectations but Royal will still continue to do business as usual. It's up to them to enforce it. I don't think a passenger on vacation should worry themselves enough as to calling senior officers or placing complaints simply because the rules weren't followed. If the dogs are there then it's safe to assume Royal has allowed them.

I'm sorry, but if a dog defecates in a public space like a bar or restaurant, to me that is no different from a passenger dropping trou and doing the same. It is extremely unhealthy and disrespectful of the other passengers and crew.

Has anyone had experience with ships operating totally outside of the US and service dogs? I know that not all countries have the same lax rules regarding service dogs as the US. I can't imagine countries would allow dogs to enter without health documentation, etc.

Has anyone had experience with ships operating totally outside of the US and service dogs? I know that not all countries have the same lax rules regarding service dogs as the US. I can't imagine countries would allow dogs to enter without health documentation, etc.

I can't say for sure, but since one European river cruise company outright bans power chairs and scooters, I'm not sure they would be required to allow a service dog onboard, regardless of certification.