Pets On Board RCC Cruise

sjh422

There was a Pomeranian on my cruise a few weeks ago. He/she didn't have any sort of thing that said service or therapy dog on it. The people working in the promenade were going all crazy over the dog. (In a happy way). It's probably been awhile that some have seen a dog

Service animals are not required to wear anything identifying them as a service animal. But they are usually easy to spot. Service animals are well trained to be unobtrusive. I saw one at a restaurant recently. Family walked into the restaurant sat down and the dog immediately sat down under the table quietly for the entire meal.

Unfortunately due to the sue happy world we live in most places won't say a word even if it appears it is just someone bringing in a pet. And the ADA limits the questions that can be asked to determine validity for the privacy of the disabled person.

Plus I refuse to be glared at by dog haters. I dont notice it out in public nor could I care less but Im sure I would notice it on a ship.

]

And this is what irritates me. Someone with a legitimate service animal shouldn't have to worry about others reaction to having the dog. And quite honestly that is why I don't pay any attention when I see people with one in public. I don't know if they have a valid disability and I wouldn't want to make someone uncomfortable just because I think they may be a faker.

How do you know that? While a seeing eye dog may be quite obvious, a small dog who is trained to detect seizures or diabetic issues, maybe not so much. An acquaintance has been in a hospital in Germany for a couple of months as she left her little dog home due to difficulties traveling through Europe with him. She went into a diabetic coma in the hotel and wasn't found for hours. Our grandson suffers frequent seizures. The dog will wake his parents if one is coming on so they can both get some sleep at night.

Don't judge if you don't have the facts.

That last sentence is great advice.

If the dog stays in a Suite does he get 14 days per day? Dog would be Pinnacle in 50 Days.

I wonder how that works out too, what if his owners are Emerald and he is Diamond. Do they have to wait outside the Diamond Lounge?

Come to think of it they must have been staying in a suite as when we noticed the dog sea pass was at breakfast in Chops. We sat with them and had a coffee together and thats when we got all the info on the dog and how he reached his status.

The ship sets up a 4' x 4' pee space with some natural plants or something -- you request it 30 days out or more.

funny i remember seeing this on the back of the explorer year ago didn't put 2 and 2 together until now. never saw the dog though..

and to the kids/dogs comments.. id rather be on a ship with a dog or a kid than an entitled grump senior any day of the week!

funny i remember seeing this on the back of the explorer year ago didn't put 2 and 2 together until now. never saw the dog though..

Yeah, that wasn't a putting green. :eek:

The mark of a well trained service dog is that they are basically invisible.

You are correct that requesting documentation violates ADA Law.

Per the USA Department of Justice with reference to ADA Law in situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions:

• Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
  • What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

First, I will say that I have absolutely NO problem with a dog being onboard if it is indeed a service animal.

But it drives me up a wall that people try to scam the system, and the fact that it is so easy for them to do so.

So technically, I could bring my 95 pound, high-energy Goldendoodle with me? I hope he fits on the sofa bed. Since he's hypoallergenic and doesn't shed, he can sleep there right? And join me in the pool? :p

(Just trying to bring some fun to the thread..)

I totally agree. I have a 100% legit service dog that is trained to do numerous tasks for me. It would be almost impossible to love a dog as much as I love my Allie but its like having a child. We need a break once in a while! So when I cruise, she stays with her trainer and is just happy as can be. Even though she is very well trained, I would never subject her to such close quarters and thousands of people. Plus I refuse to be glared at by dog haters. I dont notice it out in public nor could I care less but Im sure I would notice it on a ship.

Also, shes a Lab that has a HUGE love for water. It would be hard keeping her out of the pool :D:o

Here is Allie at my job, a college, where everyone loves her. When I cruise, she stays on land though. :)

Allie_1.jpg

Could you imagine her making a huge leap into the Solarium pool? HA HA HA HA :D And I thought people gave ME the stink eye when I did a cannonball in the Solarium pool :p

I am not a dog person at all-Quit often I hear people talk more about thier dogs than thier kids. No prblem different strokes.

To the guy who said he he would rather be on a cruise with a bunch of dogs than a bunch of kids-I thought it was pretty funny and I asked myself if there was a choice what would I take-definately kids. Like I said just not a dog person.

Edited by harry0

I really appreciate when I see a true service dog on the ship working and well behaved. However, when someone flat out tells you that their little dog is an emotional needs dog, that is wrong. They are using other people true disabilities, to take advantage and bring their dogs because they chose not to leave it at home.

I know there was a post a year or two back that a passenger brought a small dog. The dog barked at people, sat on the owners lap in the dining room and got fed food off the plate, got left unattended in the cabin while it's owners went out for the night. I don't see that dog being any type of service animal.

Under the ADA, the cruise lines are allowed to ask what type of service the animal performs. I think they should do this, and then disallow the comfort dogs as they are not recognized under the ADA.

Several years ago there was a couple on our cruise that had a small dog with them. It came up in conversation that it was a 'service dog' that was used to detect oncoming seizures. Cool, no problem. We noticed though that throughout the cruise we saw the dog with a differing member of the couple each time we saw it so unless the dog can detect the seizures of the other person from 1000 feet away through metal barriers, I call BS. This was nothing more that taking Fluffy on vacation.

From the Royal Caribbean website, a small snip:

nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended.

Put me in the camp of not wanting pets on board, and being angry at "fakers" and "scammers" who throw suspicion on those who truly need these noble animals.

From the Royal Caribbean website, a small snip:

nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended.

Put me in the camp of not wanting pets on board, and being angry at "fakers" and "scammers" who throw suspicion on those who truly need these noble animals.

I wonder how many fakers have gotten on board and only then discovered that they would be spending 24/7 with Fluffy instead of having the "adult time" they planned on.

There were 3 dogs on our allure cruise. The captain stated they were all service dogs. I heard one left a deposit in an elevator:p

Yup, not a service dog. Part of the training is that the dog is trained to hold it until instructed to potty in a defined area.

I wonder how many fakers have gotten on board and only then discovered that they would be spending 24/7 with Fluffy instead of having the "adult time" they planned on.

Actually, my point was that this is a way to spot a faker. I quoted a post of someone who said that this "service dog" was left alone in the cabin. Other friends of mine have witnessed the same behavior.

Royal Caribbean is NOT punishing/sanctioning/jettisoning these people. They are getting away with it.

I really appreciate when I see a true service dog on the ship working and well behaved. However, when someone flat out tells you that their little dog is an emotional needs dog, that is wrong. They are using other people true disabilities, to take advantage and bring their dogs because they chose not to leave it at home.

Under the ADA, the cruise lines are allowed to ask what type of service the animal performs. I think they should do this, and then disallow the comfort dogs as they are not recognized under the ADA.

I hope you or anyone you care about does not suffer from conditions on the autistic spectrum, clinical depression, schizophrenia, etc. These conditions ARE "true disabilities" in many cases. Perhaps tou could speak to those who deal with these conditions every day - you might feel differently.

I fully support those who need a service animal and travel with them.

I'm curious if the cabin is cleaned more thoroughly after an animal has been in it. I am allergic to dogs and have allergy attacks when I come in contact with surfaces that have dog or cat hair/dander on them....especially upholstered furniture.

The service animals I've seen onboard lay quietly on the ground/carpet next to their owner but I can envision where a fluffy, emotional support type dog could be on the couch, chair and bed.

Just curious ... is there any fee associated with bringing an animal on-board?

It's been stated that there is a cost associated with the accommodations the cruiseline has to make ... does the owner pay for those services?

I'm sure I'm going to take some heat here, but I think there should be a fee ... otherwise the rest of us are paying for those services through the cost of our cruise fare.

Just curious ... is there any fee associated with bringing an animal on-board?

It's been stated that there is a cost associated with the accommodations the cruiseline has to make ... does the owner pay for those services?

I'm sure I'm going to take some heat here, but I think there should be a fee ... otherwise the rest of us are paying for those services through the cost of our cruise fare.

There is no cost associated with the accommodations but the cruise lines may assess a cleaning charge. Whether or not they actually do is unknown. The cruise lines cannot charge a fee to bring a service dog on board particularly if the ship embarks from a USA Port as it would be a direct violation of ADA Law. However the cruise lines have very specific rules that clearly states the services provided by the cruise line which are actually very few as most must be provided by the passenger that is bringing a service dogs. Here's the link to RCCL's http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

Edited by xxoocruiser

I would rather be on a ship with dogs than kids...but to each their own right.

For some people, their dogs are like kids to them or maybe the only companion they have in life.

Based on my experience I have seen with dogs on board, they are much quieter, well behaved and cuter than most kids.....actually compared to a lot of adults on board as well...lol

That should get some responses....but its my opinion just like those who don't like or think dogs should be on ships.....fair is fair!

Maybe you should sail on the Ark.

I for one do not want to be on my vacation with someone else's "ain't he cute" ball of fur. What about someone who is allergic to them; what rights do they have?

And as far as your comment about kids, what a terrible thing to say. Reckon you've been an obedient (ruff, ruff) mature adult your entire life. Yes kids can be a pain in the butt when unsupervised but that isn't the kids fault, it's the parents fault...period.

Maybe you should sail on the Ark.

I for one do not want to be on my vacation with someone else's "ain't he cute" ball of fur. What about someone who is allergic to them; what rights do they have?

And as far as your comment about kids, what a terrible thing to say. Reckon you've been an obedient (ruff, ruff) mature adult your entire life. Yes kids can be a pain in the butt when unsupervised but that isn't the kids fault, it's the parents fault...period.

The reality is if someone is onboard with a service dog and you are allergic that in effect doesn't matter. Allergies are not a disability and if allergic you can leave the area to avoid the dog.

There is a small area, usually on the outside promenade deck, for the dog to do their thing. Crew cleans this area.

On Vision in March a lady had a small dog with her. I can't remember what deck is available to walk all the way around (4 or 5) but it was roped off the entire cruise with a big wooden box on the other side of the rope. It took us several days to figure out what the wooden box was for - so that dog could do his business.

I was checking in on our dogs via FaceTime last week while on the allure and our suite attendant, Lystra, told us she gets passengers coming onboard with their dogs all the time and they leave them in their rooms. No real issue with Royal, they just look the other way. She even encouraged we bring ours next time! Lol. Obviously this isn't happening but I did find it funny.