Snorkeling at Boaby Rock Point

diverdon48371

I was wondering if anyone out there has actually snorkeled at Boaby Rock Point ? I have checked the web, and can only find a couple of reference about the place, They indicate that it is one of the better places in GT. If so can you tell me what it is like(depth, what you saw, was it worth it)?

That's the southern most point about 1/3 mile or little more from the cruise port. Local "wiccans":rolleyes: have at times constructed conch alters/memorials and bonfires. I've seen dive boats in the area. And their inflatables beached just east of the point. But it's the windy side so not necessarily a beginner/novice snorkeling spot. You can reach out to Blue Water Divers or Grand Turk Diving and ask if they go there. I doubt Oasis Divers would since they cater directly to cruise passengers via ship excursions.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I know this is quite late- probably un-needed at this point but came across this thread just now. In case anyone in the future has interest- the southern most point "Boaby Rock Point/White Sands Beach" in my opinion has the best offshore snorkeling on the island. The water can be choppy depending on conditions as its not on the sheltered side (it's not as bad as the eastern-completely unsheltered side). I have snorkeled this several times on my own, simply walking down from the cruise ship. Wife isn't as good of a swimmer so she stays on the beach- everytime having it all to herself as very very few people come down there. The reef here is by far one of the best with corals, fans, formations and has also showed me more marine life than any other spot (eels, rays, several fish types, baracuda, ect). As long as the water isn't too choppy I highly recoomend. Also be vigilant of marinecraft in the area- many boat/jet ski operators come flying around the tip from the cruise port area and don't expect many swimmers in this area, even though it is an actual beach/swimming area--just stay near the reef.

• 2 weeks later...
Where would be a good "happy medium" for beginners that won't be too crowded?

As you leave the pier, turn right. There is a beach here, that is never too crowded. For better snorkeling, walk down the beach just past a smaller dock. This area is usually very quiet and much better for snorkeling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you. About how far from land to you need to go to see the reef and plenty of fish?

You won't be over a reef, but large rock formations. The rocks start right at the water's edge. We saw lots of fish and other sea life (gobs of urchins) right in the rock formations

You won't be over a reef, but large rock formations. The rocks start right at the water's edge. We saw lots of fish and other sea life (gobs of urchins) right in the rock formations

Great. Thanks.

Is there anywhere to rent snorkel gear for the day? We love to snorkel, but don't want to take a pricey excursion.

Thanks!

We have our own gear, so I've never paid attention to see if there was a rental spot. Sorry!

• 1 month later...
As you leave the pier, turn right. There is a beach here, that is never too crowded. For better snorkeling, walk down the beach just past a smaller dock. This area is usually very quiet and much better for snorkeling.

About how far? Any landmarks? For this safer snorkeling area.

At the point, IF not too rough, how far do you have to swim out. I'm not the strongest swimmer, but always have a vest on.

About how far? Any landmarks? For this safer snorkeling area.

At the point, IF not too rough, how far do you have to swim out. I'm not the strongest swimmer, but always have a vest on.

there is a smaller pier just a bit away from the cruise ship pier. just a few minutes away from the cruise ship pier. cant miss it, it is the only pier between the cruise ship pier and the point of the island. just past this smaller pier is where the snorkeling area we go to starts. if you go all the way to the point, probably a fifteen minute walk, and you would need to swim out about a hundred feet or so to get to the good snorkeling. hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

I did not get to snorkel this area last time in GT, but we are heading there again in February. Has anyone done Boaby rock point lately? if so where is the best place to enter and where is the best snorkeling? How far from shore do you go and what is the depth. Any information will be appreciated.

Thank You

Don

FYI, the water was a bit too rough for us to feel comfortable snorkeling at the point area.   But, the most important info I can provide is after walking around the point DO NOT cut across land (stay on the beach) to make the walk back faster.   It's a trap.......SKEETERS!    Stay near the water and the developed areas.

• 4 weeks later...

We walked to Boaby point last March.  We were going to snorkel but the water was way to rough.  But it was a bad day.  The water was rough everywhere except right by the cruise ship.  We couldn't even swim at Governors Beach 😞  

• 3 years later...

I tried to snorkel Boaby point in February 2022. It was too windy and choppy with rain on and off. The beach was completely covered with seagrass and large debris, tree branches etc. Getting into water was not easy. Looked like the storm just passed through. I saw some coral and fish but the visibility was too poor that day. I'd love to return when the weather is more cooperative. Hopefully I'll have another chance in November. 

sometimes scuba companies send small groups tot he area just north east of the point where there is some "iron shore" but nothing on the beach..  But that's the prevailing wind side and can be rough.  there are no facilities near the Point and you are entirely on your own.

• 2 months later...

At first we tried Baby point. Couldn't fight the current. We walked up the beach from the point, and spotted coral gardens from the shore. I haven't looked in awhile, but I could see them on Google aerial later on. You will be alone after the point, unless you're spotted having fun. Then others will come join you.

Have a fun trip!