Naples to Civitavecchia on Embarkation Day?

Shaken_Bake

Has anyone traveled via train from some place like Naples the morning of embarkation out of Civitavecchia? It looks to be about 2.5-3 hour train ride. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to go all the way into Rome the night before to just turn around and head out to the port at lunchtime, as long as I'm being prudent about the reliability of being able to get to the port on time. It's time for me to get into the serious itinerary planning for our trip in October! Grazie!

Has anyone traveled via train from some place like Naples the morning of embarkation out of Civitavecchia? It looks to be about 2.5-3 hour train ride. I'm just not sure if it's worth it to go all the way into Rome the night before to just turn around and head out to the port at lunchtime, as long as I'm being prudent about the reliability of being able to get to the port on time. It's time for me to get into the serious itinerary planning for our trip in October! Grazie!

Considering the plethora of options that would get you to Civi in plenty of time via train from Naples, I would have no problems with this plan.

Starting at 6:40 AM there are eleven combinations of high speed train from Naples to Rome and a regional train to Civitavecchia that would get you there by 2 PM.

There is only one train each day that does not require a change at Rome, the 7:31 Intercity that arrives to Civitavecchia at 10:45 AM. The benefit of this option is avoiding the long slog (about three blocks) at Termini from the main track head to the auxiliary tracks the regional trains to the coast use. You settle in and arrange your luggage once, then relax until the port.

If you purchase your tickets in advance on line (http://www.trenitalia.com) you can get a good rate on first class seats. The IC trains are the only ones where I would pay for the upgraded seats as there is a big difference in comfort.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 2 weeks later...