Carnival to Roll Out For-Fee Room Service Fleetwide

LauraS

Yep. "On my line dinner is 90 minutes long, on yours it's an hour and a half."

Exactly. 90 minutes is great, but an hour and a half does nothing to enhance the cruise experience. No matter how hard people try to spin it, it's all exactly the same. Brand loyalists can be funny people at times. Gotta love 'em. :D

Edited by Aquahound

Exactly. 90 minutes is great, but an hour and a half does nothing to enhance the cruise experience. No matter how hard people try to spin it, it's all exactly the same. Brand loyalists can be funny people at times. Gotta love 'em. :D

Nice to be appreciated. You do a fair amount of spinning yourself.

I do know how it is, since I said it. Most of the difference is, I have experienced both products. My comments on them are.....my comments. My comments specifically to amusement rides on Oasis and Quantum class ships stand. I am not trying to insult them or the people that sail them (which I was one of). What I said, was that it is not my cup of tea. Having bumper cars, merry go rounds, etc etc (by the way, way, way more than on a Carnival ship) do not enhance the cruise experience....for me. I never called ropes courses options, and these things on a Carnival ship don't enhance my cruise experience either.

The point was that cruising is evolving and changing. Carnival has taken a less aggressive path on those changes than other cruise lines....that is fact. Whether you or I think that is right, wrong, innovative or radical is our opinion. I will try and not belittle you for having yours....;).

I sort of get that some things don't directly enhance your cruise experience. There are things that I feel don't enhance the cruise experience for me such as karaoke, or bingo. But, I'm curious. Do these things detract from you cruise experience in some way? I would think the fact that these options exist would benefit anyone who likes to do other things with their time by drawing crowds away from their chosen activity. Thus in fact enhancing their cruise experience.

I sort of get that some things don't directly enhance your cruise experience. There are things that I feel don't enhance the cruise experience for me such as karaoke, or bingo. But, I'm curious. Do these things detract from you cruise experience in some way? I would think the fact that these options exist would benefit anyone who likes to do other things with their time by drawing crowds away from their chosen activity. Thus in fact enhancing their cruise experience.

They detract from my experience when I have to pay for them. Adding all those things to a ship and maintaining them costs money. They take up space, they along with other things like having to make a reservation to see an off Broadway show six months in advance (much like a Disney trip) detract from my experience as well. This is part of what I was referring to when I said cruising was evolving. It becomes more of an event rather than a cruise. Sailing on the Oasis was, for us disappointing due to that. I reviewed that cruise and posted it both here and on the Royal main page with general agreement.

NCL is king of Nickel and diming

RCCL has amusement rides

CCL is the party cruise line

What ever cruiseline you are loyal to, you wear the rose colored lenses;)

My only concern is did CCL really get rid of smoked salmon on the door hanger bfast menu??????????

NCL is king of Nickel and diming

RCCL has amusement rides

CCL is the party cruise line

What ever cruiseline you are loyal to, you wear the rose colored lenses;)

My only concern is did CCL really get rid of smoked salmon on the door hanger bfast menu??????????

Yes they did - as per recent reports and I am upset that it was just 'slipped' by like that - maybe if we get 'upset' (as per the shrimp cocktail fiasco) they will put it back on? Or at least put some other 'protein' on the door hanger menu - I do prefer using room service for early port mornings and I will definitely miss the smoked salmon :( (please someone tell me they still serve the smoked salmon sandwiches at tea time?)

They detract from my experience when I have to pay for them. Adding all those things to a ship and maintaining them costs money. They take up space, they along with other things like having to make a reservation to see an off Broadway show six months in advance (much like a Disney trip) detract from my experience as well. This is part of what I was referring to when I said cruising was evolving. It becomes more of an event rather than a cruise. Sailing on the Oasis was, for us disappointing due to that. I reviewed that cruise and posted it both here and on the Royal main page with general agreement.

Just out of curiosity, you say all this amusement park stuff diminishes your cruise experience, and you have lots of choices on Carnival, why would you book the Vista? Talk about Amusement park like.

1550x872

And about the Oasis, I'm sure you didn't enjoy your trip on this ship why would you, but even you know that you are in the minority. And I'm sure those is no Carnival bias there.... I can't wait to sail Carnival, If Oasis was as awesome as I thought, Carnival must be fan-freak-n-tastic.

My live review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293377

We are brand loyalists, aren't we :D

Ford/Chevy Coke/Pepsi McDonalds/ Burger King Potato/Patato

I would love to read your review, do you have a link?

Thanks Man!

Just out of curiosity, you say all this amusement park stuff diminishes your cruise experience, and you have lots of choices on Carnival, why would you book the Vista? Talk about Amusement park like.

1550x872

And about the Oasis, I'm sure you didn't enjoy your trip on this ship why would you, but even you know that you are in the minority. And I'm sure those is no Carnival bias there.... I can't wait to sail Carnival, If Oasis was as awesome as I thought, Carnival must be fan-freak-n-tastic.

My live review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2293377

We are brand loyalists, aren't we :D

Everyone has biases. We very much enjoyed our Oasis cruise, the ship is a wonder, the drawbacks (from my perspective were based upon it being more of an event than a cruise). Having to reserve shows so far in advance, that sort of thing. To answer your question regarding Vista, the answer is really easy. While the Vista has a ropes course and the sky cycle, other than that it is water related slides and splash park. The additions to that ship include an Imax theater we may try or not (probably not over in Europe). The rest hit home for us, every dining venue has both inside and outside seating, can'y wait to try Havana Cabana rooms (won't do it in Europe as we are hardly in our room). I can go on, but I think you have had enough.

Compare the pic you supply to make your point to what the Anthem has are more of those types of things.

Yes they did - as per recent reports and I am upset that it was just 'slipped' by like that - maybe if we get 'upset' (as per the shrimp cocktail fiasco) they will put it back on? Or at least put some other 'protein' on the door hanger menu - I do prefer using room service for early port mornings and I will definitely miss the smoked salmon :( (please someone tell me they still serve the smoked salmon sandwiches at tea time?)

On the Sunshine there was smoked salmon and the fixins on the Lido Breakfast Buffet so it's still available - just not room service

<snip>

Silly you. ;) Only on RCI is it an "amusement park" that "takes up space" and is somehow portrayed to take up the whole ship. On Carnival they're just "options" that are easily avoided. Come on, haven't you learned that by now. :D

By the way, the bed on a Ford truck is too long and takes up too much vehicle space. It does nothing to enhance the driving experience. On the other hand, the bed on a Chevy truck is easily avoided and it's an "option" for when I want to haul stuff. ;)

Edited by Aquahound

Silly you. ;) Only on RCI is it an "amusement park" that "takes up space" and is somehow portrayed to take up the whole ship. On Carnival they're just "options" that are easily avoided. Come on, haven't you learned that by now. :D

Glad you are on board now, without a doubt they are 6 flags of the seas. Carnival has the fun ships. I believe I answered the question also.

Edited by jimbo5544

That sucks one of things we look forward to is the salmon for bfast room service

On the Sunshine there was smoked salmon and the fixins on the Lido Breakfast Buffet so it's still available - just not room service

All the cruiselines have it in the buffet but Carnival was the last that I didn't have to get permission from a superior( or stay in a suite) to have it delivered to my cabin.

On RCCL I need head waiter approval and on our NCL TA we knew the executive chef and could just write in whatever we wanted on the door hanger

We normally order room service as an alarm clock than have coffee and lox and bagel on balcony for breakfast on sea days

Edited by jonbgd

Everyone has biases. We very much enjoyed our Oasis cruise, the ship is a wonder, the drawbacks (from my perspective were based upon it being more of an event than a cruise). Having to reserve shows so far in advance, that sort of thing. To answer your question regarding Vista, the answer is really easy. While the Vista has a ropes course and the sky cycle, other than that it is water related slides and splash park. The additions to that ship include an Imax theater we may try or not (probably not over in Europe). The rest hit home for us, every dining venue has both inside and outside seating, can'y wait to try Havana Cabana rooms (won't do it in Europe as we are hardly in our room). I can go on, but I think you have had enough.

Compare the pic you supply to make your point to what the Anthem has are more of those types of things.

Haha, there you go again, "those type of things" ya that would be called options or choices. But anyway the Vista does look like a very cool ship. Havana looks awesome, I'm sure there will be pretty good premium for those rooms etc. The waterfront looks cool too with all the restaurants etc, oh wait isn't the waterfront on NCL, wait is this a Carnival ship or NCL? Havana or Haven wait I'm confused again? Haha, I'm just messing with you, umm btw when was the last time Carnival came up with a new ship design, not just a revamped Destiny, Conquest, Dream, Vista class, those all are the same boats right?

You can poke fun at the "Carnival" (pun intended :D) type features on RCCL but you even have to admit, at least they(RCCL) have come up with some new ship designs etc. 12 ships of the same design (Destiny thru Vista), come on. Correct me if I'm wrong, the Destiny was built in 1996, that's 20 years without a new innovative design? Hey but who am I to criticize, they are filling (packing) them in. Like I said I'm not here to bash Carnival, they obviously have a very good product, but come on get some #@lls Carnival, show your customers you can be innovative. And yes, you can go on :D

Oh and I read and enjoyed your review, very fair and honest. Seemed like you enjoyed it with a few negatives. Glad you got to experience the Oasis class, I just got my experience a couple weeks ago, like you said in your review, Wow! Its amazing that thing even floats.

And I swear, when I take my 1st Carnival cruise I will be fair and honest as well. Maybe meet you on board and have beer :D

I did pull one quote from your Oasis review that made me go, "there it is"!

-The Boardwalk, I hate amusement parks-:eek:

Now I understand you! :cool:

Haha, there you go again, "those type of things" ya that would be called options or choices. But anyway the Vista does look like a very cool ship. Havana looks awesome, I'm sure there will be pretty good premium for those rooms etc. The waterfront looks cool too with all the restaurants etc, oh wait isn't the waterfront on NCL, wait is this a Carnival ship or NCL? Havana or Haven wait I'm confused again? Haha, I'm just messing with you, umm btw when was the last time Carnival came up with a new ship design, not just a revamped Destiny, Conquest, Dream, Vista class, those all are the same boats right?

You can poke fun at the "Carnival" (pun intended :D) type features on RCCL but you even have to admit, at least they(RCCL) have come up with some new ship designs etc. 12 ships of the same design (Destiny thru Vista), come on. Correct me if I'm wrong, the Destiny was built in 1996, that's 20 years without a new innovative design? Hey but who am I to criticize, they are filling (packing) them in. Like I said I'm not here to bash Carnival, they obviously have a very good product, but come on get some #@lls Carnival, show your customers you can be innovative. And yes, you can go on :D

There are good and bad to every cruise line. There is a continuity to Carnival designs through the ship classes, that is true. Royal ships are attractive (from the outside), can't say the same for NCL. The Oasis class and Quantum class are certainly innovative.

Oh and I read and enjoyed your review, very fair and honest. Seemed like you enjoyed it with a few negatives. Glad you got to experience the Oasis class, I just got my experience a couple weeks ago, like you said in your review, Wow! Its amazing that thing even floats.

And I swear, when I take my 1st Carnival cruise I will be fair and honest as well. Maybe meet you on board and have beer :D

I did pull one quote from your Oasis review that made me go, "there it is"!

-The Boardwalk, I hate amusement parks-:eek:

Now I understand you! :cool:

It certainly was not my favorite part of the ship.

It certainly was not my favorite part of the ship.

I really didn't spend that much time there. But what I did like about those areas in general (Central park, Royal Promenade, Boardwalk) is they gave you a nice area to get from point a to point b. Especially central park, so nice to walk through there to get from the back of the boat to the front of the boat, kinda the same with the Boardwalk, just a nice open area to get to the aqua theater or eat at one of the eateries.

Yes, still have smoked salmon at tea time, and at the deli