Butter Free at the Teppanyaki Restaurant?

JerseyMouseCruises

They will gladly prepare any dish they offer in the kitchen to the specific request of the guest(s). This is first hand knowledge. You sound like you would make a great table mate. Very insensitive response BTW.

Explain to me how this would be an inconvenience to anyone sitting at that table, know that you have been briefed on how it really works.

There is not a table like the dining room. It is searing around a hot solid grill where the chef cooks in front of you. They play with the utensils and flip the food around making a show out of it. Nothing is cooked in a kitchen. When the cook has to make special portions for special requests it detracts from the experience. There are 10 or 12 people seated around the grill. It would be insensitive to the others to ask for more then a minor request such as steamed rice VS fried.

Where do you get your information? :cool: Food allergies, are mostly inconvenient (diarrhea, indigestion), or lead to rashes, welts, and pruritus. Anaphylaxis, is rare in both medications, and food.

Since anaphylaxis is such a real and fatal possibility it can't be ruled out and shouldn't be taken lightly. Those with a true allergy should be carrying an epi pen.

Edited by cruzsnooze

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/fried-rice-peanut-butter

Not that unusual. Like I said not uncommon. If I were allergic I would be concerned.

As someone who travels frequently to China for business and has 2 sons adopted from China, I can assure you that not only is peanut butter not readily available in China (peanuts are though) but this is not in any way shape or form an authentic fried rice recipe.

As someone who travels frequently to China for business and has 2 sons adopted from China, I can assure you that not only is peanut butter not readily available in China (peanuts are though) but this is not in any way shape or form an authentic fried rice recipe.

I think we are talking about Japanese not Chinese.

Well......

Teppanyaki is a Japanese venue.....

so...........maintaining authenticity to a Chinese recipe is.........

not in play.

Also, anyone with a real allergy, like a shellfish or nut allergy which are quite serious, would ask before eating. I made my post as I don't want someone with a kid who has a peanut allergy to read these posts with bad information and be discouraged or choose not to go there. It is a high point of our cruises with my nephew.

I think this is a very important point for those with either serious or life threatening allergies. The most important thing to do is to contact NCL prior to the cruise and identify the individual and get them registered. My understanding is that a peanut allergy can be triggered by what I'll call "peanut dust" wafting over from peanuts several feet away. No one here knows the conditions in Teppanaki on that particular night with those particular people except for the chef in charge, who will make sure the food or the person is absolutely isolated from the allergan. People have said NCL, like other cruise lines, does a wonderful job with this.

For vegetarians, the choice is usually easier, as they are not in a life threatening situation but are making an ethical or health-related choice. Often they are fine sitting at a grill with others who are eating the foods they do not want to eat, and having their mixed grill veggies cooked on the same grill as meat. When you mention vegan the situation changes, as most vegans I have experience with will worry about cross-contamination and would want the grill cleaned before their food is cooked. I'm in California so perhaps they are a bit more rigorous in their choices here, but usually the label "vegan" = "more stringent".

So it is up to the individual to ask if the accommodation made to non-life threatening preferences is suitable for them. "Can a vegan eat at Teppanaki" would be answered (by me) with "No, there is no way to avoid cross contamination of animal products due to the steam during cooking and prior food cooked on the grill. If you are fine with cross-contamination, then perhaps yes, but particles of animal products may be in your food."

This forum is really geared toward conversation and spirited debate, so I don't think it's a good place to ask these questions. I would call NCL's special needs department and ask them, as you will get answers without judgement.

Edited by fshagan
added (by me) to clarify the vegan question