Butter Free at the Teppanyaki Restaurant?

JerseyMouseCruises

You would be wrong on that, they use a lot of butter.

IMO this is a family style meal and if you need special accommodations you should probably select a different venue to enjoy your meal so as not to inconvenience the other diners who are forced to eat with you.

Please, don't answer when you are assuming. You are only showing your ignorance.

They will gladly prepare any dish they offer in the kitchen to the specific request of the guest(s). This is first hand knowledge. You sound like you would make a great table mate. Very insensitive response BTW.

Explain to me how this would be an inconvenience to anyone sitting at that table, know that you have been briefed on how it really works.

FWIW...there are no nuts used at Teppenyaki. We've eaten there multiple times with my nephew with a peanut allergy with no issue or special accommodation. The only thing he could not eat is one of the post meal desserts. Just don't want someone to read this and think otherwise or be concerned.

Being off he ship for less than a week I will share this. We at there twice and both times there were special requests. One was no garlic and the other was no fried rice. In both cases, they fixed the special meal table side while we had soup/salad. They then served the "special meal" and started the show. We were not disrupted at all. The only issue was the "special meal" person had to decide whether to eat while it was hot, or wait till our meal some time later after the show and eat a cold meal. We had one of each choice, one ate her meal while we watched and then sat and watched us eat, the other waited for everyone in her party to get food and at a cold meal. Easy choices.

Edited by rvsullivan
  • Like 1

FWIW...there are no nuts used at Teppenyaki. We've eaten there multiple times with my nephew with a peanut allergy with no issue or special accommodation. The only thing he could not eat is one of the post meal desserts. Just don't want someone to read this and think otherwise or be concerned.

One of the desserts indeed comes with nuts.

GREEN TEA CAKE WITH CASHEW NUT BRITTLE

Edited by DMH15

I'll take that bet if only because they called it butter a dozen times. Plus if I'm wrong the beverage package will cover my bet!

Here's a story:

My spousal unit is in the grocery store. Two teenage girls are bantering.

One of'em decides to ask 'that lady' -my spousal unit. They approached her and asked " is this butter?" as they presented a pack of margarine to her. She told'em "no".

They came back with a nother brand of margarine with the same query. She told'em no again and explained that it was grease. Then she showed them a package of butter and pointed the magic word----' Butter" on the label.

Lots of people call congealed yellow dyed soybean oil butter. That doesn't make it butter.

Yes they will accomodate you but it's not the best place to go for accomodations. I hope your group is taking up the whole table... because you are going to be delaying everyone.

It is a two hour experience? Three minutes is not a great delay IMHO.

So what does her academia have to do with manners. She will be disrupting the flow of dinner for everyone at her table. people try to be polite and don't say what they are thinking, which happened to you.

Like I said, they prepared hers at the same exact time on a separate section of the Teppan-Yaki plate. Nothing was disrupted. And in fact it wasn't that they didn't say anything but what they did say... They were incredibly nice. Not everyone feels as you do. You were not there. Your claim is only a guess.

Bottom line: NCL will make accommodations. They make the rules.

Edited by DMH15

Awesome thank you- I've seen pictures of them cooking the rice and it looked like they could do that without too much hassle! But nice to get the conformation.

To the 'if you don't like any element of the meal you shouldn't be allow to eat there' brigade, if the request is easy to accommodate and they are willing to do it then what's the issue? I love Japanese food but hate eggs. I would just not eat the rice of they made it with eggs, rather than missing out on the meal completely. I do hope that wouldn't be a massive inconvenience to my table mates :rolleyes:

I don't eat fried rice, so I order steamed rice instead. It doesn't hold up anyone's dinner nor does the chef have to do anything.

• Like 1

Not true for all, some I am sure but not all. On more than one occasion we have had peanut butter added to our fried rice as the chef cooked it. I do not care for peanuts but eat it because there it was, a part of the menu. Not allergic, if I was I would not be writing this post.

Not all Teppanyaki restaurants are on NCL ships, some are in Japan! and many in Mexico, lots of peanuts used in Mexico. Never assume.

Not true for all, some I am sure but not all. On more than one occasion we have had peanut butter added to our fried rice as the chef cooked it. I do not care for peanuts but eat it because there it was, a part of the menu. Not allergic, if I was I would not be writing this post.

Not all Teppanyaki restaurants are on NCL ships, some are in Japan! and many in Mexico, lots of peanuts used in Mexico. Never assume.

Do you really mean peanut butter or peanut oil? I've never heard of peanut butter added to fried rice.

Seriously? You are the one being selfish if you think about it.

I am glad NCL makes the rules. Not you. It took about 3 minutes for the chef to sauté off to the side in oil. Geez. My niece is not ALLERGIC to animal products but has made the choice to eat a plant based diet. For health. She is a straight A student at the Univ of Texas studying health and nutrition. She is not radical. She does not preach her lifestyle and she will sit across from me eating a steak.

On her 18th birthday and high school graduation cruise on the Jewel, Teppan-Yaki actually was one of the best restaurants for her and her diet. She had salad, steamed white rice, sautéed vegetables and tofu in oil. And fruit sashimi at the end. It was lovely. And my classy table mates were very enchanted with her. I doubt any of them felt their meal was disrupted, quite the opposite.

NCL has a lot of guests with different dietary concerns and from my experience they have handled it wonderfully. They care about all their guests.

I must have missed the part where I said I was hiring. I have no clue why you posted this person's resume.

And yeah, it disrupts the table. Vegetarianism was never mentioned in my reply, nor were any dietary concerns. You quoted me because I said I don't think someone should hold up an entire table of strangers just because they don't like something. I couldn't care less if it is the pope, I still think it's selfish. Not liking something is not a dietary concern. Of course NCL cares about guests. Too bad not all guests care about others that much.

Edited by LrgPizza

I must have missed the part where I said I was hiring. I have no clue why you posted this person's resume.

And yeah, it disrupts the table. Vegetarianism was never mentioned in my reply, nor were any dietary concerns. You quoted me because I said I don't think someone should hold up an entire table of strangers just because they don't like something. I couldn't care less if it is the pope, I still think it's selfish. Not liking something is not a dietary concern. Of course NCL cares about guests. Too bad not all guests care about others that much.

Yes, I agree. It is too bad you don't care about others. Obviously.

Since you're the one who thinks you and yours are special and deserve special consideration it seems you don't care about others.

When you have one chef who has to divide his attention to special requests it disrupts the flow and show of the dinner. Of course NCL doesn't want to offend their rude passengers, what can do, they're stuck with you.

I'm not the one that puts myself before others. And check the thread. Many agree, but you've singled me out. Get over it. My comment wasn't even directed at you, or this saintly relative person of yours.

Some of you folks are awful dense. We are on a cruise ship website in a forum for Norwegian and discussing the teppenyaki/hibachi style restaurant called Teppenyaki on their ships. A restaurant I've eaten at as recently as last month and probably 4-5 times on my two NCL sailings. Not ANY restaurant of this type.

Also, anyone with a real allergy, like a shellfish or nut allergy which are quite serious, would ask before eating. I made my post as I don't want someone with a kid who has a peanut allergy to read these posts with bad information and be discouraged or choose not to go there. It is a high point of our cruises with my nephew.

Edited by txagfan

I think it is likely that your meal will be cooked in a kitchen instead of on the teppanyaki grill.

We had some person who was allergic to soy - I don't know why anyone with a soy allergy would consider eating at Teppanyaki. As it turned out, they went ahead and ate the miso soup and the soy sauce and said they could actually have some. (???????????) Very confusing as food allergies usually cause anaphylaxis.

Where do you get your information? :cool: Food allergies, are mostly inconvenient (diarrhea, indigestion), or lead to rashes, welts, and pruritus. Anaphylaxis, is rare in both medications, and food.

Please, don't answer when you are assuming. You are only showing your ignorance.

They will gladly prepare any dish they offer in the kitchen to the specific request of the guest(s). This is first hand knowledge. You sound like you would make a great table mate. Very insensitive response BTW.

Explain to me how this would be an inconvenience to anyone sitting at that table, know that you have been briefed on how it really works.

Since you want to revert to name calling, I'll point out your own ignorance to you. The discussion involves the Teppanyaki Restaurant, NOT the kitchen. What they can and will do in the kitchen is not the same as what they do in the restaurant. It is a show in addition to the meal and any special requests disrupt the show. Now that you have been briefed you can understand that you are letting your ignorance show.

Your response was rude, insensitive, and uninformed. Clearly something that comes from the me generation. Simply another person who entitled, and uninformed.