Missing items after disembark from Marina

Grappagourmet

Over the last 15 years, we've been cruising every year, with many different companies. Short cruises, medium cruises, big ships, small ships. We have never left any item behind, upon disembarkation. We always go through a thorough check of the stateroom - all drawers, all closets, under all furniture. We do it at hotel rooms, as well. Never missed an item.

Last time, upon our arrival in Rio, aboard the Marina, on January, 11th, we went thru the same drill. Packed everything, double-checked the stateroom (Oceania Suite) and, in the end, left the luggage ready to disembarkation, on the bed, unlocked (disembarkation would be on our own, no luggage outside). We went for a snack in the buffet, went back to the suite, locked everything and, one hour late, went ashore.

After starting unpacking, we missed a small paper bag with christmas souvenirs that we had bought prior to embarkation. It was not left ashore, at the hotel - we surely saw it when we were packing, in the ship. We were sure it had not been left behind at the ship, but... In any case, we sent a message to Oceania, through their website, asking for some assistance. The automated answer said they would answer in a timely manner. Ok.

After further unpacking, we missed another item: a perfume glass, bought aboard with many other make-up items. All make-up items were there, except for the perfume. That definitely wasn't coincidence. We sent another message to Oceania and got the same automated answer.

It's 10 days since the first contact. So far, no answer from Oceania. I wonder what exactly TIMELY means for them. But those items were taken from our stateroom, no doubt about it.

Be carefull.:mad:

Formally file a missing report with Oceania HQ Miami. Call the 800 number and ask for Gladys Sanchez in "Lost & Found." She will probably not return your call right away (lots of missing items) but if you are persistent you might get lucky if she picks up the phone.

Gladys takes a report on reported missing items then emails the ship. O ships routinely send her a list of items turned in onboard after disembarkation. But that takes time to snake through the rococo system O has in place.

You might learn your "lost" items are on the list which is regularly updated with Gladys. But it takes time. Your larger point about being extra cautious on valuables is well taken!

I would ask your TA (if you used one ) for the email of the person to contact & email directly

The online form seems to take a lot longer for responses

If you put January 11th (as in your post) in the notice then they may question the claim

• 4 weeks later...

My mistake: disembarkation was on December 11th, not January (thanks LHT28 for the heads-up).

Good news are we finally got mail from Oceania, stating that our package has been "found" . Still don't know about what exactly "package" means, as we have two itens "missing". Standing by.

So glad to hear your items were found! Regarding the wording of the email calling both items a "package"...I would just ask to confirm that both items were found. It's also possible they only found the small package with the ornaments, and not the perfume glass. I do hope they found both.

The fact that they found them and notified you is very reassuring. And IMO, it also would seem to exonerate them from any malfeasance. I personally find it hard to believe that if someone purposely stole them, they would just turn them in for Oceania to send them back to you. Seems far more likely that they were left behind inadvertantly, or perhaps slipped out of your bag before you zippered and locked it, or were misplaced in some other way (i.e. slid down behind something that you couldn't see). I too have a longstanding habit of doing at least two if not more "idiot checks" (as we like to call them)...and even so, we have discovered we left things. Packing up at the end of a cruise is a pain in the butt for sure! :o

The most important thing is that you get them back. Yay for O!