Wine for Ultimate Balcony Dinner

kayakbob

The UBD comes with a half bottle of champagne however I've always been able to exchange it for a full bottle of wine. The champagne was valued at $32 so we got a bottle of wine that cost the same amount. But if you want to drink wine you brought onboard that would be okay.

With the UBD, can I use one of my 'brought onboard' bottles with dinner or am I expected to order off of the Princess wine list? Thanks, Bob

Short answer: YES. longer answer - we used one of our two allowed "brought aboard" wines during our UBD aboard the Grand on Hawaii trip last March. We scheduled our UBD during for about 7.00pm on one of the inter-island hops that had a sailing time of 5 pm. Great experience.

...VTX-Al

When we had the UBD, we kept the half bottle of champagne but exchanged the cocktails for glasses of red wine.

I assume you would want to consume one of your "corkage free" bottles of wine with your meal. Never tried that but since you are consuming the wine in your cabin you should be able to do that with no corkage fee. Please report back if you try that.

Short answer - YES. Longer answer - we used one of our allowed (no corkage fee) brought aboard wines during our UBD on the Grand during our Hawaii trip last March. We scheduled the UBD on one of the inter-island hops that had a 5 pm sail time, with dinner for about 7.00 pm, with a beautiful Hawaiian sunset as a background. Great experience and highly recommended.

...VTX-Al

Edited by VTX-AL

Short answer: YES. longer answer - we used one of our two allowed "brought aboard" wines during our UBD aboard the Grand on Hawaii trip last March. We scheduled our UBD during for about 7.00pm on one of the inter-island hops that had a sailing time of 5 pm. Great experience.

...VTX-Al

Thanks for the info :)

With the UBD, can I use one of my 'brought onboard' bottles with dinner or am I expected to order off of the Princess wine list? Thanks, Bob

Go ahead and take their wine. We swapped their sparkling wine for a bottle more to our liking. I think you can swap for one up to $40. Drink your wine and keep theirs for another evening.

BTW, here's a couple of videos for you.

You've made a very wise decision booking the UBD. Wife said she'd never felt more pampered than this. (Hint: pampered wives are a good idea.) We will do it again on our next cruise.

Absolutely no problem drinking wiine that you brought on board with your UBD.

We've done it twice. Both times we drank the 1/2-bottle of sparkling wine (the second one they substituted Prosecco for Champagne and, since neither of us are fussy about sparklers, that was OK), ordered glasses of wine instead of cocktails, and, then opened up bottles of wine that we'd brought to our room. On our last one Mrs. XBGuy ordered the lobster. So she opened a Silverado Chardonnay, which, coincidentally, was on the ship's winelist. I opened an Apsara Cabernet Sauvignon with my Filet Mignon. I know that the chances of them needing me to drive the ship are pretty remote. So, I don't worry very much about blood alcohol content. :D