Budget lines vs "mainstream" lines

mrobstad

Great info and I thank the host fir chiming in. Yes, I've seen the no SS on some river cruises and I've checked them out. But the buffet on budget lines might be a deal breaker for. Then again, the river cruise lines like Ama, Viking, Tauck are significantly higher than what I'm used to.

We started ocean cruising in July 2010 and have done 9 Celebrity cruises as well as 5 on NCL.

Celebrity is our cruise line of choice. In my opinion, little has changed since our first cruise on Celebrity. Of course, five years ago, there was no Aqua Class...

For the record X AQ has been around since 2008 when Solstice commenced service. True that AQ was still being retrofitted onto M-class within the last five years.

Not everyone is mean:).....I learned a long time ago, every forum can

be tough:eek:......if you have any questions I would be happy to answer

them. (we can do that here if you want).

Thanks Lois....first what is BBB? Our first ocean cruise was on HAL to Alaska and while the land portion was absolutely marvelous and the ports were all wonderful, the ship itself was a nightmare! Our room vibrated so badly that you had to hold onto the wall while taking a shower! The a/c didn't work and we wound up sleeping with the balcony door open...and the food?....I've had better meals at Denny's and I never got food poisoning at Denny's! We have a stern facing cabin at concierge level same as we had on Panama Canal and we loved it....in fact I cried when we made port in FLL 'cause I didn't want to get off the boat!! The food was amazing and we loved everything about it..although we are pretty easy to please. If my room is clean and you feed me 3x a day and I can sit in peace on my balcony and watch for turtles or just count the waves...I'm good!!! Have you done Exotic southern Caribbean? That's the one we're doing in March...in October we're doing the New England Fall Color cruise from NY/NJ and back. I can't wait. If you'd prefer to go off line, since this is way off topic, my e-mail is chydro564@yahoo.com...and I appreciate the help!! :D

To the OP - Avalon also waives the single supplement on many sailings on most rivers. Avalon is not as all inclusive as Uniworld but in my opinion offers a very good experience for the money. There is always a list on their website of specific sailings with the SS waived.

I went to the Celebrity Forum....all I'm going to say is that's a tough crowd over there!! I woudn't last a single post!!

There's an interesting dynamic on a lot of the CC forums: long-time cruisers are vicious toward the cruise line about all the cutbacks since their first cruise with Noah, but let a newbie say one little negative thing and they're all over it defending the mother ship!

And that is the rub.....what is good value to one person is not

necessarily value to someone else. I have over 40 cruises with X......

And with this new BBB? I don't like it at all. But that is just my

opinion.

I personally don't have a problem with BBB. If you book at the lowest level, one of the included perks will work for you [even if you don't drink, either free gratuities or the OBC is good depending on the length of the cruise]. If you want an almost-inclusive cruise, BBB will work for you. I don't think the middle level works particularly well, but nobody is forced to take it and sometimes the math may work. My problem is that it is getting very expensive to get a good meal on Celebrity because they have degraded the MDR, jacked up the specialty restaurants to absurd levels ($50 pp), and therefore forced you into either AquaClass or a Suite to have a dining room at the level of just a few years ago -- and they have also jacked up the suite prices so that you might as well just book on Oceania. OTOH we really enjoyed our cruise on Eclipse this March -- so we'll see on Connie next spring whether all this CC complaining is real or just hyper-ventilating.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Have you done Exotic southern Caribbean? That's the one we're doing in March...in October we're doing the New England Fall Color cruise from NY/NJ and back.

We did the Exotic Southern Caribbean on Eclipse this March -- it was great! Despite all the negative stuff I have read [and, sadly, internalized], we had a great cruise! Eclipse was fantastic [well, the Miami DJs not so much -- but the Hot Glass Show was an unexpected pleasure]. The ports are interesting I guess, but Caribbean islands just aren't our thing -- so if we took it again we might just stay on the ship because there's so much to enjoy right there. We have booked a Canada/New England cruise for next year, but we chose Princess because they stop at St. John in the Bay of Fundy [and airfare from NY to Quebec isn't bad at all].

We did the Exotic Southern Caribbean on Eclipse this March -- it was great! Despite all the negative stuff I have read [and, sadly, internalized], we had a great cruise! Eclipse was fantastic [well, the Miami DJs not so much -- but the Hot Glass Show was an unexpected pleasure]. The ports are interesting I guess, but Caribbean islands just aren't our thing -- so if we took it again we might just stay on the ship because there's so much to enjoy right there. We have booked a Canada/New England cruise for next year, but we chose Princess because they stop at St. John in the Bay of Fundy [and airfare from NY to Quebec isn't bad at all].

This is our first trip to the Caribbean Islands so we know nothing except what we see advertised and read about on CC. I get the feeling that there's not that much history but we took a few of the scenic excursions. As for Canada/New England we're going in October and chose Celebrity because we wanted to sail from NY/NJ and experience what our families did sailing into NY Harbor past the Statue of Liberty. We don't port at St John in Bay of Fundy, but I think there might be an excursion. Check out Air Canada from LGA....we flew them to Vancouver last spring and were very satisfied with the planes and the service and it's only 90 minutes to Montreal so Quebec has to be close to that. And as an added bonus, they fly straight up the Hudson so you'll get bonus fall color on the way up there. Happy Holidays to you and Mrs. Jazz... stay dry and travel safe.

...they stop at St. John in the Bay of Fundy [and airfare from NY to Quebec isn't bad at all].
Everything official I have ever seen spells out SAINT John (in New Brunswick) but abbreviates ST. John's (in Newfoundland). I have asked many Canadians and not one has been able to give an explanation why:confused: (other than that's the way it is:cool:).

Thom

\ My problem is that it is getting very expensive to get a good meal on Celebrity because they have degraded the MDR, jacked up the specialty restaurants to absurd levels ($50 pp), and therefore forced you into either AquaClass or a Suite to have a dining room at the level of just a few years ago .

This is precisely why we stopped ocean cruising, with the exception of Oceania and a few others we would consider. Our last few cruises had us in the specialities every night for dinner and that really adds up, as do all of the other extra charges we incurred to have a decent experience. This was not just with X but also Princess and RCI. Not worth it IMO.

The BBB does not interest me as we don't drink the quality of liquor and wine they include and prefer to pay as we go for whatever components we do purchase.

We have booked a Canada/New England cruise for next year, but we chose Princess because they stop at St. John in the Bay of Fundy [and airfare from NY to Quebec isn't bad at all].

I hope you enjoy Princess. I have not been on the newer ships but I love Canada NE. I have been to Canada NE 2x and ironically, of the ports I have visited Saint John is the weakest port for me. They have different ports this year and we missed a port due to snow, so maybe that was a weaker port.

One thing to say about Saint John is that the locals really want the ships to come. They had hundreds there to help people pick where they want to go and handed out roses to all the ladies. Maybe I am just picking the wrong excursions.

The food in the MDR on Grand Princess was appalling bad. We had as many meals as possible off the ship. Four nights we opted for the specialty restaurants which were quite average, but at least the food was edible. All of our other meals aboard ship were in the pizzeria, which had the best food on the ship, and breakfast was in International Cafe. The buffet was totally unpleasant - overcrowded, not clean, and unappealing food.

Edited by caviargal

Just a heads up. X cruises from Bayonne, south of the Statue of Liberty. You will not pass it unless the Captain detours. That may happen on departure, but almost certainly not on your return.

Well that will be disappointing...but at least we'll sail under the Verrazzano! I thought Cape Liberty was a little further north. I don't need to sail real close I just want to see Her. I've done the Circle Line and I've been out to Liberty Island so it's not like I haven't seen it before. It will still be thrilling....my biggest worry so far is that it might still be fairly dark when we enter the harbor!!

This is our first trip to the Caribbean Islands so we know nothing except what we see advertised and read about on CC. I get the feeling that there's not that much history...
These islands were flourishing before any part of what is now the 50 US states was settled by Europeans (Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino was found 98 years before Harvard, and 82 years before the Pilgrims landed). The West Indies were fought over for hundreds of years by the Spanish, French, British, Dutch, Danes (the US bought the US Virgin Islands from Denmark in1917), Swedes, etc. Thomas Jefferson's Great-Grandfather probably lived on St. Kitts (some dispute whether that is Jefferson's line, but certainly claimed so on St. Kitts). The first foreign recognition of a US flagged ship took place at St. Eustatius 16 Nov 1776. The decisive battle for US independence (Yorktown) would have turned out much differently if not for the the French fleet under de Grasse and French troops under Rochambeau and Lafayette, and from a French perspective this was a mere side show in their battles with the British in the West Indies (in Battle of the Chesapeake, which prevented Cornwallis' evacuation from Yorktown and resulted in his surrender, the French fleet had sailed from Saint-Domingue [now Haiti] and immediately afterwards proceeded to fight the British under Hood in the Battle of St.Kitts). There is LOTS of history in the Caribbean.

Thom

...I thought Cape Liberty was a little further north. I don't need to sail real close I just want to see Her...
The Statue of Liberty is clearly visible from the top decks while you are still docked at Cape Liberty. Sunset at Cape Liberty during Canadian "leaf season cruises" is still after 6pm, and departure is usually at 5pm, so you should have a clear view as you depart.

Thom

These islands were flourishing before any part of what is now the 50 US states was settled by Europeans (Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino was found 98 years before Harvard, and 82 years before the Pilgrims landed). The West Indies were fought over for hundreds of years by the Spanish, French, British, Dutch, Danes (the US bought the US Virgin Islands from Denmark in1917), Swedes, etc. Thomas Jefferson's Great-Grandfather probably lived on St. Kitts (some dispute whether that is Jefferson's line, but certainly claimed so on St. Kitts). The first foreign recognition of a US flagged ship took place at St. Eustatius 16 Nov 1776. The decisive battle for US independence (Yorktown) would have turned out much differently if not for the the French fleet under de Grasse and French troops under Rochambeau and Lafayette, and from a French perspective this was a mere side show in their battles with the British in the West Indies (in Battle of the Chesapeake, which prevented Cornwallis' evacuation from Yorktown and resulted in his surrender, the French fleet had sailed from Saint-Domingue [now Haiti] and immediately afterwards proceeded to fight the British under Hood in the Battle of St.Kitts). There is LOTS of history in the Caribbean.

Thom

Lots of history happened in the Caribbean, but there isn't much left to see. I'll take the Mediterranean over it any day: even more happened, and it's better preserved.

Lots of history happened in the Caribbean, but there isn't much left to see. I'll take the Mediterranean over it any day: even more happened, and it's better preserved.

We don't visit the Caribbean for history; we go for the beaches and ocean as well as local flavors and culture.

If we have at least a week to spare, we will head to Europe, which is our favorite destination. And the Med is at the top of that list for us as well.

Edited by caviargal

I agree that lots happened in the Med, and MUCH of significance remains there. But the Caribbean retains perhaps more significant pre-19th Century historical sites than do the 50 US states combined, including the Western Hemisphere’s oldest church, oldest cathedral, oldest university, largest fortress, and even a house built by Christopher Columbus’ son Diego.

It is possible to enjoy Caribbean culture without knowing its history, but to actually understand cultural items such as Cropover Festival, patois, Rastafarianism, Voodoo, etc it is necessary to understand at least some of the underlying history. I am not a historian, but I do like to understand what I’m seeing.

However this is getting quite far afield from budget versus mainstream river boat lines.

Thom

I agree that lots happened in the Med, and MUCH of significance remains there. But the Caribbean retains perhaps more significant pre-19th Century historical sites than do the 50 US states combined, including the Western Hemisphere’s oldest church, oldest cathedral, oldest university, largest fortress, and even a house built by Christopher Columbus’ son Diego.

It is possible to enjoy Caribbean culture without knowing its history, but to actually understand cultural items such as Cropover Festival, patois, Rastafarianism, Voodoo, etc it is necessary to understand at least some of the underlying history. I am not a historian, but I do like to understand what I’m seeing.

However this is getting quite far afield from budget versus mainstream river boat lines.

Thom

Thanks for all the info Thom...especially that we'll be able to see Statue of Liberty from the ship....that's what I wanted. Of course everywhere has history, what I meant was that not much remains because of the violence of the "occupation" of the islands by people coming to primarily rob them or "save" them. I have booked several excursions that visit some of the forts but I haven't seen any for native archeaological ruins.

Sorry for the hijack... You'll be pleased to know that I have taken further conversations about Celebrity and the Caribbean off line. :D

We don't visit the Caribbean for history; we go for the beaches and ocean as well as local flavors and culture.

If we have at least a week to spare, we will head to Europe, which is our favorite destination. And the Med is at the top of that list for us as well.

Europe is hands down our favorite destination as well....like the US it has everything: beautiful scenery, wonderful museums, restaurants and shopping and more history than we can see in one lifetime. But for a winter getaway....those beaches look pretty inviting!! :D

There's an interesting dynamic on a lot of the CC forums: long-time cruisers are vicious toward the cruise line about all the cutbacks since their first cruise with Noah, but let a newbie say one little negative thing and they're all over it defending the mother ship!

That's the truth! It's interesting, that's for sure. :)