NZ vs a Tassie cruise in regards to rough seas?

to_dee

Mic summed it up very concisely ...good advice :D.

And thanks for all that extra detail I didnt know any of that in regards to the currents, history, swells etc. Thanks for that comparison Megsie that was also very helpful.

I feel like we can make a better informed decision now. thks CC gang :)

Enjoy no matter which one you decide to do.:D

To_dee,

We have been cruising for years now, both all round Aus, NZ, Europe etc. I get sea sick when I step in a puddle of water so I had to find something.

The best by far are Bonine tablets which you buy at the shop on the ships. We don't sell it in Australia but in this one the Americans have got it right. I just take one every night before going to bed and no problems.

Ask around, do the research but they work for people who get truly, badly seasick.

Just disembarked from Celebrity Solstice's Christmas cruise from Auckland to Sydney. We had some "interesting" seas during the Tasman crossing, particularly on Christmas Day. I expected the Hobart to Sydney crossing to be equally rough but it wasn't. Solstice handles the seas well and is very smooth. I think it's just the luck of the draw with both the Tasman Sea and Bass Strait.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It is advisable to take some seasickness medication with you. I do not know if you took something or what it was. The medication often recommended by shipboard medical centres is Avomine, an antihistimine. It is available at Chemist Warehouse for $9.60 for 30 tablets. I find they can make me sleepy if I go to a movie or a show, but while I am walking around, there are no negative side effects. I advise AGAINST taking Stemetil, the medication usually recommended by doctors. It is an anti-emetic - it will stop you throwing up, but it won't make you feel any better. Actually, it will make you feel worse because you will wish you could throw up, but cannot.

I disagree. Stemetil works very well for motion-sickness induced nausea. We had no problems at all on our cruise despite the rough seas on Christmas Day. DH is very prone to seasickness but used Stemetil as prescribed and felt perfectly well the while time. Not a hint of nausea.

If you felt nauseous after taking Stemetil it may be that the nausea was not caused by motion sickness but by something else (like a gastro bug). In that case using Stemetil would not be advisable.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Just disembarked from Celebrity Solstice's Christmas cruise from Auckland to Sydney. We had some "interesting" seas during the Tasman crossing, particularly on Christmas Day. I expected the Hobart to Sydney crossing to be equally rough but it wasn't. Solstice handles the seas well and is very smooth. I think it's just the luck of the draw with both the Tasman Sea and Bass Strait.

Luck of he draw is spot on.

We've crossed Bass Straight 14 times, if I'm counting right and transversed it 3.

Only one has been what I would call smooth sailing, and about three what I'd call Nasty, the rest were all what would be described as moderate seas.

Hope to have another crack next year.

I've already booked our next NZ cruise :D In February 2017. Got a good deal onboard - cheaper than I paid for the last cruise, with more OBC, plus drinks package and grats included. I've decided that Solstice is the perfect cool climate cruise ship as it has the wonderful sky lounge on deck 14, overlooking the bow of the ship. Great for sailaways. Watching a ship that size negotiate the narrow channels in Tauranga and Dunedin was fascinating.

It will be interesting to compare Solstice to Golden Princess in April.