Majesty hot tubs

Colbycat

Ok. To be more specific I read it in reviews of the majesty on shipmate and Facebook. When I posted the question on shipmate, someone who claims they just got off confirmed this. "Just off" could mean different things to different people, like yesterday or two weeks ago. I am just looking for confirmation or even better someone who disembarked recently and says it is not true.

Dear Majesty of the Seas Guests:

Royal Caribbean International is working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to investigate two confirmed cases and one possible case of Legionnaires’ disease (a type of pneumonia) that may be associated with travel aboard the Majesty of the Seas in July and October 2015.

Starting with the first case identified, Royal Caribbean took steps to protect the health of guests and crew, including shutting down the whirlpool spas, treating the water with extra chlorine, and conducting extensive water sampling on board the ship. This testing confirmed that bacteria are present in samples taken from the water used for showering. It is not known whether the ship’s shower water was the source of the bacteria that caused the infections and our investigation is ongoing.

Legionnaires’ disease is caused by the bacterium Legionella and is not spread from person to person. When freshwater that is contaminated with Legionella is breathed into the lungs (as a mist or vapor), it can cause pneumonia. People cannot get Legionnaires’ disease by drinking water unless it “goes down the wrong pipe” into the lungs instead of the digestive tract. Most people who are exposed to Legionella do not get sick, but the risk increases with age or for people with underlying health conditions (see back of this letter for more information).

In order to prevent additional illness and identify anyone else who may have been diagnosed with pneumonia after traveling aboard the Majesty of the Seas, we ask the following:

If you have already traveled aboard the Majesty of the Seas and get sick in the two weeks after your cruise:

o Please see attached facts for information regarding symptoms of Legionnaires’ disease.

o Seek medical attention, and show this letter to your doctor so that he/she can prescribe appropriate antibiotics if needed.

o Request Legionella testing (by urine test and respiratory culture).

o If you test positive for Legionella, ask your doctor to report your illness to your local or state health department as soon as possible after your diagnosis.

If you are planning to travel aboard the Majesty of the Seas:

o We believe the risk of Legionnaires’ disease is low but not zero because this ship has undergone two rounds of treatment with chlorine.

o Your individual risk may be elevated if you have any of the risk factors listed on the attachment. Unfortunately, we cannot estimate your individual risk. If you have any risk factors, you may want to consider rescheduling your cruise for a later date.

o If you use a respiratory therapy device with a humidifier (e.g., CPAP or BiPAP), do not fill it with tap water; use distilled or boiled water instead.

Both Royal Caribbean and CDC are working to protect the health of the guests and crew aboard the Majesty of the Seas. If you have questions about Legionnaires’ disease, you may contact your local or state health department or CDC at 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-6348). You can also learn more about Legionnaires’ disease at http://www.cdc.gov/legionella. For travel-related questions, please contact Royal Caribbean

I read somewhere that all the hot tubs on Majesty are closed for maintenance and have been since October? Is this true? How can they run cruise after cruise with no hot tubs and guests not complain?

I can tell you from the experience of 3 times on Majesty that they close them down around 10-11pm every night. I found that totally unacceptable and haven't planned on sailing her again, but I know things change.

I can tell you from the experience of 3 times on Majesty that they close them down around 10-11pm every night. I found that totally unacceptable and haven't planned on sailing her again, but I know things change.

Funny - last time we were on Majesty (last year), we wanted to enjoy the pools and hot tubs at night as we do every cruise...every single night they were closing and cleaning the pools and hot tubs anytime from 7 pm on - we asked an officer why they are doing that as we like to enjoy the facilities later in the evenings. He said they like to clean them around that time. After we spoke they kept 1 pool open at least....no hot tubs though. They also had both pool bars closed.

Don't understand how you can shut down the only pools and hot tubs on the ship....makes no sense to me.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

I had to go back to my USPH VSP to review the changes in RWF procedures in the newer version.

Hot tubs must be drained at a minimum of every 72 hours of operation. There is no limit for recirculated pools, but generally it is one week maximum. The reason that pools and tubs are drained more frequently is that too many (most, all?) people don't shower before getting into the pool, and their oily sunscreen creates an oil layer on the water that affects the chlorine's ability to sanitize the water. Hence, they drain and wash the pools and tubs.

Another reason for daily draining and cleaning of the hot tubs is the problem mentioned earlier, legionella (legionnaire's disease). While the legionella on the Majesty was found not to be from the hot tubs, but from the shower heads, hot tubs are a major breeding ground for legionella. Because the hot tubs are maintained at higher chlorine levels than most residential spas, a chlorine scale tends to build up inside the pipes. The temperature of the water is nearly the prime breeding temperature for legionella, so it can grow underneath the chlorine scale where the chlorine is not effective against this. For this reason, the hot tubs are superchlorinated (usually just before draining) to 100ppm, which removes the chlorine scale, and any legionella growing behind it. Because hot tubs are such breeding grounds for legionella, this is why the air jets have been disconnected on all hot tubs on ships. Legionella is inhaled, so any growing in the hot tub water gets aerosolized and you then breathe in the vapor.

These are all requirements of the USPH, not the cruise lines. As to the time that pools and tubs are drained/cleaned, this could be caused by international law which relates to how many hours of work and rest, and how much of it is consecutive, and which only recently (last couple of years) has it affected cruise line crew.

I hate to bring the logistics of hot tubs up. But with two hot tubs and 2500+ passengers, how many people really get a chance to use them on a 3 day cruise? That being said, I can't see a broken or contaminated hot tub affecting that many people

We got off Majesty this morning and am happy to report both hot tubs were open the entire trip. I'm not sure how late, but every time I went up there they were open, even during both late night deck parties. Enjoy :)

We got off Majesty this morning and am happy to report both hot tubs were open the entire trip. I'm not sure how late, but every time I went up there they were open, even during both late night deck parties. Enjoy :)

Best news I've heard! Thanks for posting. Hopefully they will continue on that trend. :)

Super since we board on Monday !!