Car Service Pick up at the pier in NYC...still allowed?

dongordon

I thought I heard or read somewhere that they are not allowing car services to pick up at the pier, but you must cross the street.

Is that true?

(Also, can they still drop you off at the pier?)

If so, this could be a problem with all the luggage we bring with us (my wife and daughter!:D) and we are not as young as we used to be! :D

Merry Christmas!

Don

Across the street is a Taxie stand for yellow cabs etc. I use car service and get dropped off picked up at the terminal.

So, The car service is still allowed to pick up and drop off directly at the terminal / pier?

That is good news :), because I heard that this recently changed and you had to cross the street for the car service to pick you up.

Thanks.

Don

We had Carmel pick us up at the Pier a couple weeks ago. It was a zoo with 2 ships in port, but using our cell phones, the driver found us. With all our luggage and a car seat we wouldn't have been able to walk anywhere either

We were on the Gem in October and had Carmel pick us up. They won't let you wait right at the opening of the terminal building but if you walk 50 - 100 feet to your left (as you are exiting the building) there is a bus pick up area with angled spaces. It is much closer than across the street and if I remember correctly keeps you under the cover of the roadway above. We met our Carmel car there.

Edited by fshagan

When we were on the Breakaway they would not let car service pick us up, we had to cross the street. When we took the Gem car service was allowed to pick us up at the terminal. I don't know if it was because the Gem has less people so it's not a problem.

What about Uber? We have a car service dropping us off but thought we would use Uber to pick us up after the cruise. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We didn't use them, but did see an Uber vehicle there picking up people without problem.

We were on the Gem in October and had Carmel pick us up. They won't let you wait right at the opening of the terminal building but if you walk 50 - 100 feet to your left (as you are exiting the building) there is a bus pick up area with angled spaces. It is much closer than across the street and if I remember correctly keeps you under the cover of the roadway above. We met our Carmel car there.

That's what I did two years ago when I sailed out of NYC.

We walked to the left and the posts are numbered and provided the car service with the number.

There were so many cars, it took awhile for the car service to get through.

If you are cruising in the winter, dress warm! :)

Don

What about using a limo? Still have to go across the street? I would be suprised they wouldn't allow the limo to enter where the coach buses and other larger shuttle services pick up returning cruisers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Forums mobile app

On December 13, both the Breakaway and Gem were in port and pickups were allowed at the terminal. It was very very busy but they were allowed.

We were walking with our porter when I called Carmel regarding our pickup. Carmel told us they only pick up at the lower level. The porter said to tell them that it was too busy and they'd never get in there. Tell them to come up to where the taxis pickup. Carmel put me through to dispatch and arranged to come to that level. While we were waiting we saw all kinds of vehicles there for pickup. From Uber, to other car services.

If they put restrictions in for security or other reasons, it may not be something you can plan in advance. We were very happy we could get picked up at the terminal as we had a lot of luggage, a child carseat and a senior with limited mobility.

Last year after our Breakaway cruise we were told to have the car service pick us up across the street. We had a porter bring our luggage and he told us to not only go across the street but to go down a few blocks. It would be much easier for the car to be able to stop and pick us up. He was right. On our next cruise, that's what we are planning to do in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
We are getting a ride to the Manhattan cruiseport on a Sunday but returning on a Wednesday leaves us with nobody to pick us up.

We are trying to find a reputable car service and will pick us up at the port and take us to our residence in Long Island .

The two car service mentioned in the above posts are ones that I've used in the past with no problems. Especially the one with all the 7's.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that they are not allowing car services to pick up at the pier, but you must cross the street.

Is that true?

(Also, can they still drop you off at the pier?)

If so, this could be a problem with all the luggage we bring with us (my wife and daughter!:D) and we are not as young as we used to be! :D

Merry Christmas!

Don

My experience for the past few years -

If toting your own luggage, you are directed across the street. I found it very crowded and difficult for cars to stop for pick up.

If you get a porter they take your luggage, pier side, to the bus stop area and unload your luggage there (or wherever else you would like on that side). Well worth the tip and you breeze through customs.

The two car service mentioned in the above posts are ones that I've used in the past with no problems. Especially the one with all the 7's.

I have to clarify my original post.I am looking for a Car service that I can call the day the ship returns from the cruise .I cannot make arrangements ahead of time just in case I can find someone who can pick us up (family member).

We just got back from a Christmas/NYE cruise. Got dropped off right at the pier, and picked up as well with a private car service. Worked out fine. There were lots of cabs lined up on the way back, he just parked behind them. 2nd floor of the terminal.

I will note that we left the ship early, around 9:30 so it wasn't as crowded probably.