Boston car rental return on the morning of cruise

SnowshoeCat

I'm thinking of taking a cruise out of Boston. I would need to rent a car one way. It looks like the easiest method is to return the car to Logan, then take the silver line to the port. Is that correct? Looks too easy ;)

Additionally, I might need a hotel the night before, so I'd be looking for someplace 1-2 hours west. I'll be coming straight along the Mass Pike. I'd like something far enough out to keep the cost down, but close enough to have time to deal with any traffic delays. The cruise leaves on a Friday, so there's rush hour to think about. I don't need a specific hotel, just location. Thanks.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I'm thinking of taking a cruise out of Boston. I would need to rent a car one way. It looks like the easiest method is to return the car to Logan, then take the silver line to the port. Is that correct? Looks too easy ;)

Additionally, I might need a hotel the night before, so I'd be looking for someplace 1-2 hours west. I'll be coming straight along the Mass Pike. I'd like something far enough out to keep the cost down, but close enough to have time to deal with any traffic delays. The cruise leaves on a Friday, so there's rush hour to think about. I don't need a specific hotel, just location. Thanks.

That's a good plan. Hotwire can be your friend for a hotel 1-2 hours west on the Mass Pike.

I would consider getting off I90 in South Boston to drop off your luggage at the pier before dropping off the car at Logan. To get back to the port you will have to take a rental car shuttle back to a terminal, get the Silver Line to the indoor World Trade Center Station, and transfer up and over the tracks to take the SL2 bus to Black Falcon. It's all free, but it does take some time and much easier without all your luggage.

On a Friday morning I would be leaving your hotel around 9 am to avoid the rush hour.

Thanks for the reassurances. I thought 9 am would be a good start time, too. I'd probably drive straight through to the airport. I pack light and I'm used to handling my luggage, unless you think a quick detour to the port would be easy?

I didn't know the Silver Line is free. Is it possible to walk to Black Falcon from World Trade Center station?

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Thanks for the reassurances. I thought 9 am would be a good start time, too. I'd probably drive straight through to the airport. I pack light and I'm used to handling my luggage, unless you think a quick detour to the port would be easy?

I didn't know the Silver Line is free. Is it possible to walk to Black Falcon from World Trade Center station?

Most cruisers don't pack light, so if you can manage your luggage, it's no big deal to do the Silver Line. I do it all the time with rolling luggage to go to Logan - Red Line to Silver Line to Logan.

According to the map it's .6 miles walking from the Silver Line Way Station to Black Falcon. This station is the first station stop coming from Logan Airport, but there is no free transfer at Silver Line Way because it is an open outdoor station. You have to go to the indoor World Trade Center stop (sometimes the Silver Line does both an outdoor WTC stop AND an indoor WTC stop - it always does the indoor stop) in order to do the free transfer. This is a decision you can make on the day of the cruise depending on the weather.

Okay, thanks again. I knew the walking distance wasn't far, I just wasn't sure what kind of area it is, whether it's heavily industrial with lots of big machinery rolling around. Thoughts of Bayonne come to mind ;)

Edited by SnowshoeCat