Voyager vs. Explorer out of Australia

mein18

We are looking into a cruise out of Sydney in early 2017 and see that both the Voyager and Explorer offer basically the exact same itinerary. Knowing that they are sister ships, can anyone give any assistance on helping us choose?

Voyager is less expensive and does get the edge as far as a better sailing date to fit our schedule.

Thank you.

We are looking into a cruise out of Sydney in early 2017 and see that both the Voyager and Explorer offer basically the exact same itinerary. Knowing that they are sister ships, can anyone give any assistance on helping us choose?

Voyager is less expensive and does get the edge as far as a better sailing date to fit our schedule.

Thank you.

I don't believe there is any significant difference between the ships anymore. I'd choose the less expensive cruise.

If you're looking at a cruise with tender ports, go with Voyager.

Neither ship was built for them, and the experience just had on Explorer was terrible (perhaps due to it being newer here). From what I've heard with Voyager they work them alright.

Thank you.

The only possible difference I can think of which may (or may not) be of importance to you is that Voyager of the Seas has the Dreamworks experience and Explorer does not (parades in Royal Promenade, 3D movie screenings in the La Scala theatre (or is it Royal theatre now?) and character photo opportunities etc.

Thank you for the info. We are empty nesters so no kids going with us so not really a factor unless Dreamworks attracts considerably more kids on Voyager cruises.

In that respect I'd say it may. They do have more parades, character showings and the like on Voyager. In contrast the Promenade parade on Explorer was almost a ghost town!

From other questions there is more interest in the DreamWorks attractions, so that may lead to more children's bookings. That said, our Explorer sailing was also at full capacity with children, so it's probably less a defining factor. Just you may want to avoid those frequent opportunities on Voyager if it's not your thing.

In that respect I'd say it may. They do have more parades, character showings and the like on Voyager. In contrast the Promenade parade on Explorer was almost a ghost town!

From other questions there is more interest in the DreamWorks attractions, so that may lead to more children's bookings. That said, our Explorer sailing was also at full capacity with children, so it's probably less a defining factor. Just you may want to avoid those frequent opportunities on Voyager if it's not your thing.

I am aurprised to read that. Any time I've been on a ship (Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class) with Royal Promenades the parades have been packed with or without Dreamworks aboard.

• 5 months later...
Thank you for the info. We are empty nesters so no kids going with us so not really a factor unless Dreamworks attracts considerably more kids on Voyager cruises.

When I take my kids on a cruise the price is one of the highest priorities. Dreamworks isn't a factor for me as my kids aren't into that sort of thing.

Maybe look for 2 almost identical sailings with a price difference and book the more expensive one. If you avoid school holidays and take one of the more expensive cruises (even if it's only an extra $50pp) there should be hardly any kids on board.

We've done two voyager trips in January/February from Sydney and the number of kids didn't bother us. There were a few but the ship wasn't overrun - you could take into account school holidays as NSW school holidays finish earlier than ACT school holidays for example.

• 1 month later...

I've travelled on both ships a number of times and have found that Voyager tends to have more children aboard. Explorer definitely has better late night offerings at the cafe. The restaurant food is similar, the service much the much and the activities lacking in quantity and variety on both ships. If you don't enjoy quizzes or bingo you're at a disadvantage. Explorer had a terrific Murder Mystery night which Voyager didn't. Explorer staff were more guest friendly and did follow up on queries and complaints. Would definitely prefer to travel on Explorer.

Thank you for the info. We have booked the Voyager already. Although kids on the cruise wouldn't bother us, I just looked it up and cooincidentally, the school term starts the day before we sail so that should reduce the number cruising.