Anthem Questions

Hi all!

I've been on numerous RCI cruises and am soon going on the Anthem! As the ship is so different from the other Royal ships, I have a variety of questions that I'm hoping anyone who has been recently can help with!

1. Do towels need to be "signed out" on your sea-pass?

2. What are the best spots (indoor and outdoor) to watch and take pictures of sailaways from the various ports? Some reviews commented on the lack of areas with decent unobstructed views.

3. Based on your own good/bad experiences, would you recommend dynamic classic dining, or choice? If choice, are reservations necessary? (I'm sailing solo and would like to eat with others if that's relevant to your answer).

4. How does check-in work? I've read that sea passes are not provided at check-in? Crazy answer but if they're in an envelope on the door, can't anyone use them to get into your room prior to picking them up?

5. How are the hairdryers? Same awful ones that you have to hold down the button and that overheat?

6. If you booked a guarantee room - when was it assigned? (The phone agent told me that 95% are assigned on the day of sailing... Based on my precious experiences, I find that hard to believe).

7. Can you purchase internet by the minute if you don't need a full cruise worth of unlimited?

8. Have people been able to book iFly online? For whatever reason, I could book the North Star but not iFly! Does this mean it's sold out?

9. Any other tips? Would love to hear!

Thanks so so so much in advance and wishing everyone a happy holiday season!

Answers inline below.

Hi all!

I've been on numerous RCI cruises and am soon going on the Anthem! As the ship is so different from the other Royal ships, I have a variety of questions that I'm hoping anyone who has been recently can help with!

1. Do towels need to be "signed out" on your sea-pass?

Yes.

2. What are the best spots (indoor and outdoor) to watch and take pictures of sailaways from the various ports? Some reviews commented on the lack of areas with decent unobstructed views.

3. Based on your own good/bad experiences, would you recommend dynamic classic dining, or choice? If choice, are reservations necessary? (I'm sailing solo and would like to eat with others if that's relevant to your answer).

We chose to only do Specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen since we were in a suite.

4. How does check-in work? I've read that sea passes are not provided at check-in? Crazy answer but if they're in an envelope on the door, can't anyone use them to get into your room prior to picking them up?

This is all correct. Get to your room quick when the doors open.

5. How are the hairdryers? Same awful ones that you have to hold down the button and that overheat?

6. If you booked a guarantee room - when was it assigned? (The phone agent told me that 95% are assigned on the day of sailing... Based on my precious experiences, I find that hard to believe).

7. Can you purchase internet by the minute if you don't need a full cruise worth of unlimited?

Don't believe so. I only recall seeing it by the day.

8. Have people been able to book iFly online? For whatever reason, I could book the North Star but not iFly! Does this mean it's sold out?

We had booked ours online. Probably already full. I would check for open slots as soon as you board.

Hi all!

Some additional answers:

2. We loved Anthem, but there's a real disconnect from the ocean. In particular, there's NO outside bow area in which passengers are allowed. Best you can do outside in terms of forward facing are the wings on either side of the Solarium. (It's an IQ test to get out there. :) ) You can also be outside in the very aft portion of the Windjammer. Another good outdoor spot is on Deck 15, above and on either side of the pool below. Indoors, the Solarium can't be beat for exterior views.

4. Yes, the sea pass card for the main person on the reservation will be left in a sealed envelope outside your cabin. [Any others are on the bed in the cabin] Could someone else take it first and get into your EMPTY cabin? Yes, but why would they want to? PLEASE don't worry about this!! I think I've read just about every thread on Quantum and Anthem on this board, and I've yet to see a single person report that someone took their sea pass card before they got to their cabin.

9. Main tip: relax and go with a good attitude. Anthem is a stunningly beautiful ship with incredible public spaces. (I have more specific tips and comments in my review of our TA on Anthem, which is linked in my signature below.)

Have a great time!

We found one of the best indoor places to watch sailaways was two70. Yes the hair dryers are the same. One tip I would offer is to do the bumper cars and north star the first day as soon as possible. The north star did not require reservations the first day and it was a very short wait right after we had a quick lunch. We loved the ship and had a wonderful trip. Have a great trip.

Edited by vrock

Thanks so much for everyone's answers! If anyone has any more information on the Internet or anything else, it would be greatly appreciated!

I booked everything online but iFly didn't come up. I called and talked to a rep on the main line and also a Crown and Anchor rep and was told that there would be charges for both North Star and iFly effective December 30th and as such, I must book iFly onboard (and pay $26). He seemed to think that nobody on my sailing was able to book online, and it's not a matter of it being "sold out". This conflicts with answers that other cruisers got so I guess time will tell. Curious to see if they'll back-charge me for my "complementary" North Star reservation as well as I was told it will be $20!

I did want to confirm there is no by the minute internet offering on Anthem.

We survived without internet, with the exception that I had it on my phone in Puerto Rico based on my US phone service.

Thanks for the confirmation! That's really too bad about the lack of per-minute rates. Is there any way to purchase the plan and then cancel it the next day to get one day of use? While I don't want to be connected 24/7, I'll need to be in touch with home periodically to let everyone know I'm still alive! ;) And as a Canadian, I won't even be able to use my phone in Port Canaveral without high roaming fees. But I may just have to settle for that.

I presume there is no "virtual postcard" booth on the Anthem as there was (is?) on the Allure? That thing saved my butt in terms of Internet fees! :)

Thanks for the confirmation! That's really too bad about the lack of per-minute rates. Is there any way to purchase the plan and then cancel it the next day to get one day of use? While I don't want to be connected 24/7, I'll need to be in touch with home periodically to let everyone know I'm still alive! ;) And as a Canadian, I won't even be able to use my phone in Port Canaveral without high roaming fees. But I may just have to settle for that.

I presume there is no "virtual postcard" booth on the Anthem as there was (is?) on the Allure? That thing saved my butt in terms of Internet fees! :)

Understand about the need for some contact. :) I don't know about plan/cancellation. Not aware of any "virtual postcard" booth.

You might be best off just using your phone briefly when needed. Perhaps contact your phone service provider about any option/package.