Car Rentals NZ (Tauranga)

I have done a google search of car rental companies in Tauranga, the closest one to the port is NZ rentacar and they also provide a pick up/drop off service to the cruise ship terminal. The choice on their website is Tauranga or Tauranga Port, should I choose "Tauranga Port"?

Is this a reputable company?

Have others used this company?

Cruising on explorer of the seas which arrives at 8.30 am and departs at 7.30pm.

I am considering booking the car from 9.00 am and returning at 6.30pm.

Would appreciate any comments or feedback on this company and other comments please re: driving to Rotorua - we want to see as much as we can (except Hobbiton).

The ship docks at Tauranga Port in Mt Manganui. It is probably 20 minutes drive from the town of Tauranga. Most rental car companies either bring the car to the gates of the wharf or pick up the customers there and take them to their office.

If the ship arrives at 8.30, it would be well after 9am before you get ashore. Clearance usually takes half an hour at least. If the ship is due to depart at 7.30, it is probably "all aboard" at 7pm. I suggest planning to be back at the wharf an hour before the "all aboard" time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Explorer yesterday.

We used Hertz. (tried Thrifty but all cars were booked). They had a shuttle that picked us up at the port and brought us back to the port after we returned the car. We had to pay $10 for the shuttle for the whole family.

We drove to Rotorua. went on the luge and skyswing, zipline etc, checked out the mudpools and drove back via Kiwi360.

Had a great day, but bear in mind that at the skyswing/luge park, you stand in long lines to go on the rides.

We used Rite Price Rentals. They have a shuttle between the ship and their depot. Worked very well for us and also for our friends who booked separately. I am happy to endorse them.

We drove to Rotorua. There is a small charge to use the motorway. I would recommend taking this option even though it is for only a third of the way. You still see plenty of countryside.

We used Rite Price Rentals. They have a shuttle between the ship and their depot. Worked very well for us and also for our friends who booked separately. I am happy to endorse them.

We drove to Rotorua. There is a small charge to use the motorway. I would recommend taking this option even though it is for only a third of the way. You still see plenty of countryside.

Glad to hear your used Rite Price - we used them in 2010 to hire a 12 seater mini van. Proved a good choice. Cheap way for a group to see Rotorua.

Glad to hear your used Rite Price - we used them in 2010 to hire a 12 seater mini van. Proved a good choice. Cheap way for a group to see Rotorua.

We has used Pegasus a couple of times in Tauranga and each time hired a 12-seat van for a group to go to Rotorua. It worked out brilliantly. :)