Hold on you CC

AlanaZah

Hi All!

This is my first time cruising with RCCL. I've sailed with Carnival & Norwegian before and can't remember how it works with them.

May seem like a silly question to some, but does RCCL put a hold on your credit card when you're sailing? I've heard different things. I've heard they'll hold $500 out of $700. RCCL call agents said that they don't put a hold, it's basically what you charge onboard that gets charged.

So I guess my question is; Does RCCL put a hold of a certain amount on your credit card when you board the ship, or there is no hold but of course you're charged whatever you purchase, directly onto your CC.

Thanks so much in advance!

A

I see pending charges done daily and one final transaction at the end of cruise. The pending charges drop off one at a time over a period of a week or so. For instance, if I play bingo for $49 on day 2, there will be a pending charge of $49. If the next day I purchase some photos and a t-shirt for a total of $89, there will be another pending charge of $89. Those pending charges will remain for several days. The day after I return, my credit card will be charged $138, the amount of my total bill, but the pending charges are usually still in place. I have high credit limits and never carry a balance, so it doesn't matter to me. If you are close to your credit limit and don't have enough left for double your on board expenses, you will have a big problem.

BofA RCI credit cards show a pending charge for each individual day's spending. It does place a hold against your credit line and will reduce your spending limit. Only if you are close to your limit would there be any issues.

Other banks may show a pending charge.

Enjoy your cruise.