Pre-purchasing Onboard Credits - Princess

Can you tell me where are you seeing this $110/$125 thing? If I go into my On board Reservations section to buy OBC all it does is does is allow me to buy units at $31.25 AUD, it does not tell me what this equates to in USD. I am guessing it equates to $25USD as this reflects the 0.80 on my prepayment of gratuities. I booked in April last year. Is this locked in right up to cruise date?

Can you tell me where are you seeing this $110/$125 thing? If I go into my On board Reservations section to buy OBC all it does is does is allow me to buy units at $31.25 AUD, it does not tell me what this equates to in USD. I am guessing it equates to $25USD as this reflects the 0.80 on my prepayment of gratuities. I booked in April last year. Is this locked in right up to cruise date?

That is correct.:D

Is there any problem with using different cards for different things ie purchasing OCB and prepaying gratuities with one card (credit card) but then paying off final bill on ship by another card (debit). It doesn't confuse things to have OBC paid in by a different card to the one that will be paying the balance?

Is there any problem with using different cards for different things ie purchasing OCB and prepaying gratuities with one card (credit card) but then paying off final bill on ship by another card (debit). It doesn't confuse things to have OBC paid in by a different card to the one that will be paying the balance?

I don't think so. We've done exactly that. I used one credit card, which earns me reward points, to buy the OBC through Princess's Australian office but am using a 28 Degrees card on the onboard account as that has no overseas transaction fees.

However be aware when using a debit card that the cruise lines may place holds on funds during the duration of the cruise, and those holds sometimes take a while to come off, which can affect what funds you have available for use on that account. The best thing to do would be to leave your credit card attached to the account but go to guest services on the last night and pay using your debit card.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I had three options - $27.50, $55 & $110 so USD $25, $50, & $100.

It appears that it may be locked in for those of us who booked early enough - I booked in September. Someone mentioned rebooking their cruise in November and the rate changed to .80 on their booking. Bummer for them!

Interesting - I did have funds "held" last time on the debit card which was very annoying. I will be prepaying some stuff on credit card - do I just change it last minute to debit details or keep credit card details on file and just pay with other card at end? don't they bill it to your credit card automatically if you have given them these details?

Interesting - I did have funds "held" last time on the debit card which was very annoying. I will be prepaying some stuff on credit card - do I just change it last minute to debit details or keep credit card details on file and just pay with other card at end? don't they bill it to your credit card automatically if you have given them these details?

Keep the credit card details on file but actually go to guest services on the last night and pay with your debit card. Some people also pay off their accounts in cash in a similar manner. They don't bill to your credit card until the end of the cruise so if your account balance is zero then nothing goes onto your credit card.

Certainly not, it makes no difference.:D

That is correct.:D

Lor111 are both on Alaska cruises in May. Sent her over to these boards yesterday. :p. I had the same question McC - nowhere does it state I am buying $25USD when I purchase $31.25 AUD so am just guessing here. Just wish they'd put it as USD in the personaliser!

I booked last May and the exchange rate for the Bev packages is .80 cents.

Edited by Pushka

Lor111 are both on Alaska cruises in May. Sent her over to these boards yesterday. :p. I had the same question McC - nowhere does it state I am buying $25USD when I purchase $31.25 AUD so am just guessing here. Just wish they'd put it as USD in the personaliser!

I usually check by going to the US website to check what each unit is worth as well.:D

I agree, the website could be better.

I usually check by going to the US website to check what each unit is worth as well.:D

I agree, the website could be better.

Isnt that still guessing though? When I look in the personaliser it just tells me this:

5ca5cf5d4360d14ea65f1a09491b87a8.jpg

How much does this equate to in USD? The conversion hasn't been done yet.

I am thinking maybe USD $700 when if todays exchange rate is used it should be $615USD.

Edited by Pushka

I phoned Princess last September to buy my OBC as I wasn't sure either. They assured me that it was AU $110 for US $100 at the time. My personalizer is still showing AU$110 BTW.

If I remember I'll post something when I board Golden 6th April, after checking our onboard account.

Oh, the beverage package seemed to be a different rate. It cost me AU $61.99 to buy which worked out a smidge cheaper than buying the OBC (at the .90 rate) to buy the package onboard.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Isnt that still guessing though? When I look in the personaliser it just tells me this:

5ca5cf5d4360d14ea65f1a09491b87a8.jpg

How much does this equate to in USD? The conversion hasn't been done yet.

I am thinking maybe USD $700 when if todays exchange rate is used it should be $615USD.

It shows the number of units plus the total AUD price, not the total units and unit price. So

2 at AU $250 is 2 x US $100 OBCs = US $200

10 at AU $312.50 is 10 x US $25 = US $250

5 at AU $312.50 is 5 x US $50 = US $250

So, yes, US $700 in total for a cost of AU $875

US $700 would cost AU $993.89 at the current exchange rate of 0.7043. You saved AU $118.89. :D

Helps to get someone like that. He's probably also cruised.

Yes. He did have a few problems with their website and was muttering under his breath a bit, and I only got an email showing a summary of the Special Services costs, not itemised by gratuities, drinks package and OBC, but it all showed correctly after I paid the balance of the cruise.

Actually I'm very interested to see what happens at the end of the cruise. I bought some extra OBC and expect to have a credit balance on my account at the end. Under the cred card info I have requested billing in USD to allow my credit card company to do the conversion. If they put the credit back in USD and the exchange rate stays where it is, I could make a bit of profit on the deal. :D

Actually I'm very interested to see what happens at the end of the cruise. I bought some extra OBC and expect to have a credit balance on my account at the end. Under the cred card info I have requested billing in USD to allow my credit card company to do the conversion. If they put the credit back in USD and the exchange rate stays where it is, I could make a bit of profit on the deal. :D

Hedging currencies again?

It shows the number of units plus the total AUD price, not the total units and unit price. So

2 at AU $250 is 2 x US $100 OBCs = US $200

10 at AU $312.50 is 10 x US $25 = US $250

5 at AU $312.50 is 5 x US $50 = US $250

So, yes, US $700 in total for a cost of AU $875

US $700 would cost AU $993.89 at the current exchange rate of 0.7043. You saved AU $118.89. :D

I agree with these conversions.

After our Alaska cruise with Princess last June we had a credit balance left on our account. I expected it to be deposited onto my nominated credit card, but Carnival Australia actually mailed me a cheque. It took 3 or 4 weeks to arrive. There was no indication of the exchange calculation or even any mention of the USD amount they converted, just a remittance advice showing the AUD amount.

I did a rough calculation and they seemed to use an exchange rate similar to the one applicable at the cheque date. It was certainly way better than the 100 USD for 110 AUD rate that they gave me when I purchased the onboard credits. Yay.

Got to laugh. Finally got a response from an email to Princess to ask where on personaliser I could purchase OBC and it said couldn't be done, had to call up call centre for it. Just as well I thought to ask Cruise Critic! It did confirm though that $31.25AUD = $25USD.