Question about In-Suite Dining

RumpunchGirl

Will the butler bring cocktails to the room as well? I was thinking of something like a mid-afternoon snack and maybe a couple of Bloody Marys on the balcony. Can they do this?

Not that I'm aware of. Others may have had success.

You can however order bottles for the room and then mixers would come with that and you could make your own drinks.

Carrie

Will the butler bring cocktails to the room as well? I was thinking of something like a mid-afternoon snack and maybe a couple of Bloody Marys on the balcony. Can they do this?

Absolutely.

It will likely NOT be covered by the UBP, but the butler will ABSOLUTELY bring you cocktails.

Absolutely.

It will likely NOT be covered by the UBP, but the butler will ABSOLUTELY bring you cocktails.

Yes this is 100% correct. The drinks are not covered by UBP so even if you have the UBP there is a charge for the drinks. However the butler can and will most definitely bring you drinks (and snacks) to your suite.

I remember once bumping into our butler while coming from the Garden Cafe with a plate of muchies and he was upset that I picked them up myself. Said I could always ask him to bring me whatever I wish from whichever restaurant, cafe or bar. :) Oh how I wish we would be cruising in a suite again but a mini suite this time. Still a cruise without a suite is better than no cruise at all. :) I tested it with a balcony cabin after three NCL suite cruises and yes it seems to be doable. :D:D:D

Not that I'm aware of. Others may have had success.

You can however order bottles for the room and then mixers would come with that and you could make your own drinks.

Carrie

This is called a "Bar Set Up"

An old file copy below for reference:

Note the pricing 2013 - !

This service is about a $100 a bottle on the low end and much more for better label drinks !

BAR-SET-UP

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

• 1 month later...
Never been our experience to have the butler hover in our suite while we ate, and not sure I would even like for him to. Maybe for someone in a DOS or a Garden Villa, othewise I would think pretty rare. We had occasion to be invited to a Garden Villa a couple times and were very surprised to see both the Butler and Concierge hovering in the the small butler's panty area of the suite each time we were there.

Sailed Ncl 7 times since 2012 always penthouse, OS, or DOS. Never had Butler stay in room for meals. I think that would be a little weird as I am not used to the life style. It was nice to get them delivered and were always warm never cold. Even got the cote de boeuf pour deux one time as a single order on accident. My DW ordered duck and I ordered filet de boeuf grille.

Yes this is 100% correct. The drinks are not covered by UBP so even if you have the UBP there is a charge for the drinks. However the butler can and will most definitely bring you drinks (and snacks) to your suite.

I remember once bumping into our butler while coming from the Garden Cafe with a plate of muchies and he was upset that I picked them up myself. Said I could always ask him to bring me whatever I wish from whichever restaurant, cafe or bar. :) Oh how I wish we would be cruising in a suite again but a mini suite this time. Still a cruise without a suite is better than no cruise at all. :) I tested it with a balcony cabin after three NCL suite cruises and yes it seems to be doable. :D:D:D

In my experience butlers take there job very seriously. I was in a DOS twice and never asked for really anything but dinner a few times. They some how figured out I like orange and rootbeer soda and stocked it to the hilt in the bar. And snacks were tailored to what we ate after a few days. I was impressed with the service

In my experience butlers take there job very seriously. I was in a DOS twice and never asked for really anything but dinner a few times. They some how figured out I like orange and rootbeer soda and stocked it to the hilt in the bar. And snacks were tailored to what we ate after a few days. I was impressed with the service

I am new to NCL. What does DOS mean?

I understand breakfast in the room, maybe at a push a lunch. I just don't understand why anyone would want to eat their dinner in their room. Especially from a speciality restaurant with delightful food and service. Maybe just me though.

I understand breakfast in the room, maybe at a push a lunch. I just don't understand why anyone would want to eat their dinner in their room. Especially from a speciality restaurant with delightful food and service. Maybe just me though.

Dining service in the suites is one of the best perks in my opinion. Of course, while I wouldn't have dinner in my room every night of a cruise there are some advantages. First, it's a more private setting and there is no dress code. Also, you can eat out on your balcony if you wish, which is something that you can't do in most restaurants. Although I suppose with the waterfront on the new ships this is less of an incentive. The service and atmosphere in the restaurants is great but dining in the room can be nice too.

• 1 month later...

Our first NCL Butler (in a DOS) was only "okay", although because it was our first, we thought he was great.

He couldn't seem to remember which treats we did or didn't want, and he sometimes brought something garnished with something that we had specified in a WRITTEN note the first day one of us was *allergic* to. He kept bringing things with that.

The second NCL Butler, in a Haven 2BR suite?

We've heard him mentioned here: MAXI - wonderful.

He quickly figured out what we liked from our comments and also what we ate (and how quickly) and didn't.

It became funny... the more we ate of X, the more X appeared... and we gobbled it up.

This went on all day.

Every day :)

Fortunately, it was healthy (particular fruits).

Had it been candy, we'd have needed to ask him to stop!

We miss Maxi, and hope to see him in the future.

[quote name='GeezerCouple']Our first NCL Butler (in a DOS) was only "okay", although because it was our first, we thought he was great.

He couldn't seem to remember which treats we did or didn't want, and he sometimes brought something garnished with something that we had specified in a WRITTEN note the first day one of us was *allergic* to. He kept bringing things with that.

The second NCL Butler, in a Haven 2BR suite?

We've heard him mentioned here: MAXI - wonderful.

He quickly figured out what we liked from our comments and also what we ate (and how quickly) and didn't.

It became funny... the more we ate of X, the more X appeared... and we gobbled it up.

This went on all day.

Every day :)

Fortunately, it was healthy (particular fruits).

Had it been candy, we'd have needed to ask him to stop!

We miss Maxi, and hope to see him in the future.[/QUOTE]

Maxi is the best, he was reassigned to the Jade.

[quote name='NCLfamily']I understand breakfast in the room, maybe at a push a lunch. I just don't understand why anyone would want to eat their dinner in their room. Especially from a speciality restaurant with delightful food and service. Maybe just me though.[/QUOTE]

I am with you but it seems like lots of people really enjoy not having to leave their suites to dine.

A snack in our room will be about all we plan on eating in there. We won't even eat breakfast in our room.

I think in room dining is perfect for parents with small kids or if one of your family members fall ill.

Its nice to know its there even if I don't plan on using it. I like going to a the restaurants.

There's something so special about sitting in your jammies eating escargots, filet, caesar salad and mushroom soup while enjoying the view from our AFT suite.

We eat most breakfast and lunch meals in our suite out on the balcony - we aren't much for sitting at the pool, don't enjoy buffets and just enjoy spending time together relaxing.

That's what's great about cruising - there's something for everyone!

We are celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary during our Alaska cruise and we plan on dining in our suite enjoying the majesty of Glacier Bay!

[quote name='NCLfamily']I just don't understand why anyone would want to eat their dinner in their room. Especially from a speciality restaurant with delightful food and service.[/QUOTE]

Our butler encouraged it to try it once and we did. Imagine enjoying Osso Buco from La Cucina on a large balcony while watching the sun set over Kailua Bay. When the butler found out DW was a Riesling fan, as was he, he brought us a bottle of his favorite Riesling out of his own stash.

It was one of the top highlights of a trip that had many highlights.

[quote name='watchdiva']There's something so special about sitting in your jammies eating escargots, filet, caesar salad and mushroom soup while enjoying the view from our AFT suite.

We eat most breakfast and lunch meals in our suite out on the balcony - we aren't much for sitting at the pool, don't enjoy buffets and just enjoy spending time together relaxing.

That's what's great about cruising - there's something for everyone!

We are celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary during our Alaska cruise and we plan on dining in our suite enjoying the majesty of Glacier Bay![/QUOTE]

"jammies" don't let my wife see this, she isn't aloud to pack 'jammies".. tried years ago and I left that bag at home... :D