Recent Navigator Cruisers - how were the beds?

:confused:

So much lately about the "new" but not improved mattresses. Wondered how any recent (Oct-present) Navigator cruisers found them. We are on a Royal ship for the first time in early March and it will be the very first cruise for my Sr. parents (late 60s). As they both have some mobility/back issues & I am worried after reading some negative posts about the concrete slab-like new mattresses. Any feedback on that? I am considering emailing special needs dept. to request extra mattress pads if that is the case. Just want to make this experience as good as possible for them as it may be their one and only cruise. God willing there will be more :D

We are booked in 2 ocean view, 3 superior balcony, and one mobility balcony room (the parents).

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by Kermit426

To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a wholesale change of ALL mattresses in ALL rooms recently, so the experience from one room to the next could be very, very different.

I have never experienced a "concrete slab" of a mattress, including in a brand new Freedom cabin (one of the new ones where the Dungeon nightclub was taken out and new cabins inserted).

Have you even asked the parents if they prefer a smooshy mattress or a firmer one? People with mobility issues often have trouble getting in/out of a soft bed, or experience more aches and pains with less support from a soft mattress.

If they do, indeed, need to sleep on a cloud, you can bring along a memory foam mattress topper and ask the room attendant to put several duvets down between the mattress and the topper, along the lines of The Princess and the Pea fairytale.

Our bed in 8390 was awful. Not hard but the springs gave no support it poked into my back and had deep valleys. I had hip and lower back soreness. Asked for a bed topper to no avail. I've learned to request this in advance for the next cruise.

You won't know until you actually lay on it. If you're not happy tell your cabin steward and he'll have a mattress pad on it before you sleep the first night. We always ask for one because we like the idea of a new pad under the sheets.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. They have a memory foam topper on their bed at home, so I think I will have them add mattress pad/topper to their requests to the special needs dept. just to be on the safe side and see what response they get.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. They have a memory foam topper on their bed at home, so I think I will have them add mattress pad/topper to their requests to the special needs dept. just to be on the safe side and see what response they get.

We emailed special needs dept prior to our Dec cruise on Navigator to ask for a mattress topper. We quickly got an email response that the topper would be in place when we arrived. Upon meeting the room steward the first day and asking about it, he informed us they no longer provided those mattress toppers anywhere on the ship...who knows if that's true, but that's what he told us.

Interesting. We were in 8570 72 and 74. Are they randomly changing mattresses?

5kidsandadog We will be sailing on the Navigator in May 2016 in room 8574 do you happen to have a pic of the cabin? we cant find one anywhere online. thank you

Edited by bmw4dusty

5kidsandadog We will be sailing on the Navigator in May 2016 in room 8574 do you happen to have a pic of the cabin? we cant find one anywhere online. thank you

Yes, that was actually our cabin.ImageUploadedByForums1452007197.668771.jpg.13b46f7734d86ddbbb4ff80ac747757a.jpg

Edited by 5kidsandadog

We emailed special needs dept prior to our Dec cruise on Navigator to ask for a mattress topper. We quickly got an email response that the topper would be in place when we arrived. Upon meeting the room steward the first day and asking about it, he informed us they no longer provided those mattress toppers anywhere on the ship...who knows if that's true, but that's what he told us.

I had exact same actions and result on the Navigator in September. We layered all of the extra mattress pads and duvets in the cabin that we found stored under the bed under the sheet and survived but not comfortably. I've posted elsewhere here that I've now purchased my own eggcrate mattress topper that will go on every future RC cruise, though I do think it's ridiculous to have to resort to this to be able to sleep.