Travelocity rate drops & how to get credit

Seayalater

There was a thread notifiying cruisers that Travelocity periodically posts price drops. And that we can go back to our TA and (MAYBE) receive a credit.

SO, I see on Travelocity that our cabin rate is about $140 cheaper, I tell my TA, whom calls Princess and says in actuality our rate has gone up.....Does the average TA automatically tell a client if a rate has dropped, or is this something we (the client) need to police?

I just don't get how some folks save up to $800. I like a bargain the same as everyone else!!

Century 2000

Millenium 2002

Caribbean Princess 2004

[This message was edited by Seayalater on 04-24-04 at 12:50 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does the average TA automatically tell a client if a rate has dropped, or is this something we (the client) need to police?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> NO - only the very best TA watches prices for their clients! Most are much too busy with new bookings to earn more money for themselves and just do not have the time. Was told by a TA they get a print out from the cruise lines with price drops and promos but honestly there is little time to double check all of their bookings.

We have not been lucky enough to find one so do better booking with Princess directly. Often the stateroom category you have becomes higher price than a higher category room and they don't tell you that either. When I double check with Princess on the current price of our category I always ask if that if the lowest price for that type (balcony, outside, etc.) and they will tell me. Found at a past passanger rate, for our Sept. sailing, that the BE we booked when it was the lowest price was now $500pp higher than a BD icon_rolleyes.gif and that was for both our back to back cruises which they checked for me without me having to ask. That was $2000 total for the two of us. icon_smile.gif

Always keep on top of prices if you want the best deals!

Future cruises:

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

I check prices on anything we have booked every few days, even months out.

Remember, you're in a much better position to get a price reduction before you've made final payment or are in penalties. You could just as easily cancel and re-book in many cases.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

My TA sent me emails this pass month with two different price reductions. One for $269 and the other for $78. And that cruise isn't even until November! $347 total.....that's a lot of frozen drinks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Some TA's are wonderful.....I think I'm going to keep this one!!

Margie

Celebrating Our Parents 60th Anniversary - Legend of the Seas to Mexico 9/5/04!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Join Our Legend Roll Call Here

Our Dawn Princess Caribbean Medley Family Cruise 11/23/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Join Our Dawn Roll Call Here

Windjammer-Flying Cloud 1991

Carnival Elation 1999

NCL Sun 2002

Star Princess 2003

Legend of the Seas 2003

hi-

Just call your TA. Tell them how much and where you saw the price drop and they will match it. They do appreciate saavy customers. I did this on my last cruise. Saved $200 per person. icon_biggrin.gif

Sea Princess 2/02

DisneyWonder 6/03

Mariner of the Seas 4/04

Golden Princess 1/23/05

I noticed that our cruise had dropped and when I called my TA, she had already called Princess. They honored our price drop and kept our 3 cat upgrade. Of course, we had not made our final payment yet.

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

ALso please remember that some of the folks who see large price drops may have initially paid alot more than you. Therefore their price drop may just put them to equal of what you have paid.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

I asked my TA if he would match a price drop and his answer was "Well, I don't know". I'll be looking for a new TA before we book our next vacation.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;22;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we sail again

Caribbean Princess - May 22, 2004

Rhapsody of the Seas - 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AngelaC:

I asked my TA if he would match a price drop and his answer was "Well, I don't know".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had multiple reductions but each time we called our brick and mortar TA. We were very polite with our TA, informed them there might have been a drop, did not ask them to MATCH a price (matching has a different connotation) but asked them to check with Princess. And they gave us new prices which did not exactly "match" the on-line price. /Sultan

Island Princess SFO - FLL 9/2003

Star Princess -- Alaska 6/2002

Our TA won't honor any rate drops, which I didn't know when I booked with them. I'm thinking about cancelling with them and booking with someone else. We're still 3 weeks from final payment. I'm just scared to do it because we ended up with a HUGE balcony and I don't want to lose a cabin on that deck.

LeeLee

Carnival Fantasy

9/6/01 RCI Sovereign of the Seas

8/1/04 Sapphire Princess Honeymoon!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I am curious about this...my catagory is no longer showing on Travelocity. How will I know if there is a reduction in price?

Jeanne-Marie

Caribbean Princess 10/16/2004

Triumph 4/26/2003

Triumph 4/13/2002

Sensation 96-01

Destiny 97

Costa Victoria 99

Horizon 95

Noordam 89

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

islesun_e0.gif

If the category is no longer showing, that means that the category is sold out. I wouldn't count on a price reduction if the category is sold out (unless Princess shuffles people around - upgrades- or people cancel).

I had read the postings on this thread and another previous one on price drops. I went to travelocity and found the cabin next to mine on Golden Princess in August was showing at $53 pp less, then went to Expedia and found the same cabin for $216 pp less. Called my TA whom is a very good friend and asked her to check with Princess. Just heard back that Princess said this was the individual price by the agency (because of volume) and could not have my TA get me the lower price. Quite upset and dont' know what to do since the TA is a good friend. I have only put down the deposit not the final payment. Has anyone called Princess directly and asked?

cruisinflo -

Proceed on Expedia like you are going to book with them and see if that price holds. If they are truly offering the same category for $216 pp less, your TA as a good friend should/would understand you switching your booking! (Be sure all port charges, taxes etc. are included in the Expedia price.) That's quite a chunk of change that anyone can use for tips, shore excursions etc.

Julie

Deuteronomy 4:29

<')))><

Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Seayalater,

Thanks to your post I called my TA to find out that my cruise had been reduced so you saved me $90.00. Its nice to know Princess will let you have the reduced price.

Ann

Until Golden Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I am such a newbie at making the deals, that I hope I can get some help. I booked with a TA in an Auto Ins company that has a Travel section. I believe she told me at the time that there could be a rate drop. (Don't know if I should say what company or if it makes a difference) and put a deposit down for a specific cabin but would accept upgrade. After reading the messages last week I went to Travelocity and found that the rates have dropped so... do I call my TA and ask for the lower rate? is it possible to rebook to a more expensive cabin since the price on those are now cheaper that what I booked. This all sounds so difficult but I would love a balcony if I could afford it. Help please.

until we sail away....Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Yes,call your TA and ask for the price drop. I check prices like a hawk and have had the price lowered on every cruise including our first cruise. Sometimes I have had the price lowered 2 or 3 times. Very much worth your time and effort to monitor prices!!!!

4/9 2005 Dawn Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;4;9;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>do I call my TA and ask for the lower rate? is it possible to rebook to a more expensive cabin since the price on those are now cheaper that what I booked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there are cabin's available you should be able to switch your booking. We have done this in the past. We also have gone from a lower category to a higher one when prices dropped and also received money back from Princess when this happened after final payment.

Might be best just to ask your TA if the rate has decreased, rather than ask for a lower rate, and go from there. That doesn't put the TA on the defensive - another topic discusses this. If you want to go to a balcony ask what is the best rate you can get for a balcony and what is available.

If you were booking directly with Princess you could just call them yourself and get the entire thing accomplished.

Future cruises:

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

Wow, thanks for the advice, I called the TA today and she told me prices were down a bit over $400 per person, soo.... since I have all that extra $$ I am picking a new cabin. Does anyone know abour these possiblities:

Caribe 520, it is well away from the bumpout section for viewing, bigger balcony

OR Aloha 418. TA said hallway might be noisy??, smaller deck that others? but in the bumpout section which people seem to enjoy.

The other choice is a AC mini suite D706. How would that room and balcony compare.

How does one know if the balconies are covered or uncoverd from either viewing the web page or brochure? What would you choose and why? Thank you

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Always keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF. TA's MAY notify you but never count on it. Immediately contact your booking agent if you see a price drop. HAVE ALL information and any restrictions. If you have to cancel- do so if the price is important to you. BUT if you are attached to your particular cabin etc- then the pricing may not be available. It can pay to be very flexable. Be aware of any agency fees BEFORE you book, in addition to the cruiseline fees.

twocats....I would go with cabin C520.

We were in that cabin for our Panama cruise in Dec. It was so wonderful, that we'll be in that cabin again, on the Island Princess 15 day Hawaii cruise this coming Dec.

The balcony was half covered. If you choose Dolphin Deck, it's totally uncovered.

Minette

Caribbean Princess......7/24/2004

Island Princess.......12/20/2004

Thank you so much for the answer, I reposted desperate for some help. The call is in to the TA to finalize. The price drop was so great, didn't think I could get a balcony. Whoopee. Glad to know C520 is a good spot.

Archived