Changing Dining Times On Board.

Bunti

Hello. My son and I are cruising on the Veendam on January 31, 2016. It is our first Holland America cruise and we're very much looking forward to it.

We were assigned Any time dining; and we really prefer fixed dining-early. I called Holland America and was told it is fully booked.

My question is, has anyone ever gone to the Maitre'd the first day and asked to be changed? Is that an option? I have done that on RCL, but it wasn't an option on the Princess cruise I tried. (all of our other cruises we have gotten our requested dining time.)

I hope that we can change the time, but we will make the best of whatever time we end up with.

Also do not like anytime dining!

Absolutely go to the maître d the 1st day of the cruise and ask about changing to assigned dining - there is often a line so be patient. If not possible, another option is to go to anytime dining the 1st night, find a table you like, then after dinner ask the maître d for the chosen table at a specific time for the next few days. They will often accommodate you for this work around.

Good luck and good cruising!

Also do not like anytime dining!

Absolutely go to the maître d the 1st day of the cruise and ask about changing to assigned dining - there is often a line so be patient. If not possible, another option is to go to anytime dining the 1st night, find a table you like, then after dinner ask the maître d for the chosen table at a specific time for the next few days. They will often accommodate you for this work around.

Good luck and good cruising!

We asked to book a particular table after the first night - it was just for two - and we were able to book it for every night. It was just like assigned dining. We had the same waiters every night. We also. Noticed other tables around us, even tables for eight, had the same people every night, so it is doable.

Edited by Stratheden

As soon as you get on the ship, go to see the dining room manager -- usually located in the Explorer's Lounge. You daily "On Location" program will give you the time and place.

They will put you on the waiting list.

If you aren't able to get your fixed dining, when you go to the Open Dining, you can request whatever size table you want and if you like it, make reservations for 3 days at a time. Reservations can only be made for times between 5:5 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 PM.

We love As You Wish (open) Dining. When you walk up to the lectern and answer "seat us wherever is easiest for you" the look of appreciation from the M'd is priceless!

We still got to know waiters -- even more of them! -- and we like being able to have a pre-dinner drink without watching the clock (over much). If you meet amiable people, you can keep an eye out for them on the rest of the cruise, and if you are seated with someone brash or annoying, you can breathe a sigh of relief that you won't HAVE to sit with them every night thereafter.

Also you can check the Lido menu at lunch and if it sounds good, eat dinner there without inconveniencing your MDR tablemates who would normally wait for you, in Traditional Dining.

We love As You Wish (open) Dining. When you walk up to the lectern and answer "seat us wherever is easiest for you" the look of appreciation from the M'd is priceless!

We still got to know waiters -- even more of them! -- and we like being able to have a pre-dinner drink without watching the clock (over much). If you meet amiable people, you can keep an eye out for them on the rest of the cruise, and if you are seated with someone brash or annoying, you can breathe a sigh of relief that you won't HAVE to sit with them every night thereafter.

Also you can check the Lido menu at lunch and if it sounds good, eat dinner there without inconveniencing your MDR tablemates who would normally wait for you, in Traditional Dining.

We have done both Open and Fixed (Early) dining and both have their pluses and minuses. If we are traveling with someone or plan on attending most MDR meals, we go for Fixed. If we think we will missing alot of meals or just want to be flexible, we do Open.