january 2nd 2016, Koningsdam is on the move!

Alphen

Correct,

She is currently in the anchor area, outside the Venice Lagune. Assume she is testing achoring procedures.

As well as testing nautical compass calibrations: the most recent ''manoeuvres'' are typical for such testings.

It's happenin' !!!! soon she'll be ''flying solo'' !!

Cheers

Yeah, probably did compass swings yesterday and saturday :)

A question for those more informed than me...

Does Carnival group or HAL have dedicated Sea Trial ( Bridge/engineering) crews or is the Takeout crew responsible? ( if so, what courses do they get?) or is the ship still under responsability and command of dedicated Fincantieri crew?

To compare: In aviation, flight testing before delivery is done by the manufacturer ( eg. boeing) by specially trained testflight crews.

After heavy maintenance ( like a dry-dock), it is specially trained Airline crews who perform the required tests. ( just performed one yesterday).

A new model, say B737max. Requires about a year of testing before certification...subsequent aircraft of the same model are being tested only for a couple of flights before handover inspection/flight.

Does Carnival group or HAL have dedicated Sea Trial ( Bridge/engineering) crews or is the Takeout crew responsible? ( if so, what courses do they get?) or is the ship still under responsability and command of dedicated Fincantieri crew?

To compare: In aviation, flight testing before delivery is done by the manufacturer ( eg. boeing) by specially trained testflight crews.

After heavy maintenance ( like a dry-dock), it is specially trained Airline crews who perform the required tests. ( just performed one yesterday).

A new model, say B737max. Requires about a year of testing before certification...subsequent aircraft of the same model are being tested only for a couple of flights before handover inspection/flight.

I am in no way an expert either, but what I do know;

• Koningsdam is currently under Italian flag, owned by the yard until march 31st, when the ship will be transferred,

• What I know about the crew is that some of the key personnel that will be on her maiden voyage is already in place, but I also know that some crew members come over for some specific tasks for a shorter period,

I am assuming that while the yard is in charge of the ship, they are responsible for the tests and show to the customer (HAL), that the ship performs as agreed in the contract. I also assume that while they do that, HAL personnel will be at least having an eye on how everything works, checking the contract specifications and are also learning on the job how everything works and is operated.

I also have some experience in aircraft delivery and also first flight after maintenance, what you are referring to (first flight after critical maintenance), is something different entirely, if an engine on Koningsdam fails during testing, it may become very quit and dark and they will gently float, but they will not crash. :-)

Edited by Alphen

Like Alphen said, KODM's entire bridge team is onboard and in control of her tech/sea trials. In addition, experts from Fincantieri, HAL Seattle superintendents, and lots of the other manufacturer reps (propulsion, steering, computers, etc.) are also onboard during her trials

Edited by Copper10-8

Like Alphen said, KODM's entire bridge team is onboard and in control of her tech/sea trials. In addition, experts from Fincantieri, HAL Seattle superintendents, and lots of the other manufacturer reps (propulsion, steering, computers, etc.) are also onboard during her trials

Just as long they do not let them sleep in our cabin, I want to be first :D:D:D

Koningsdam has entered dry-dock in Trieste Italy today, whether this was planned or due to things that were discovered during her sea trials, we can only guess and time will tell!

KdamTrieste2_zpsqp1684xb.jpg

KdamTrieste_zpshumbvlza.jpg

And yes, I had some spare time, so thought I had a look where she was.......

Edited by Alphen

Just as long they do not let them sleep in our cabin, I want to be first :D:D:D

:DWell you still may not be first, there is a 5 day shakedown cruise leaving Venice before the first paying passengers board. I already know at least 8 HAL employees out of Seattle going to be the guinea pigs so to speak. They will be staying in the cabins. I believe there will be quite a few from Europe as well. Not that it will be packed but it will be quite a few non rev passengers on prior to April 8th.

:DWell you still may not be first, there is a 5 day shakedown cruise leaving Venice before the first paying passengers board. I already know at least 8 HAL employees out of Seattle going to be the guinea pigs so to speak. They will be staying in the cabins. I believe there will be quite a few from Europe as well. Not that it will be packed but it will be quite a few non rev passengers on prior to April 8th.

Bummer :(

Hopefully the drydock is not due to one or both of the azipod propulsor units malfunctioning. We will be onboard on 4/15 in Civitavecchia for Voyage 3.

If I would have to put my money on it, I would say it is a scheduled dry-dock.

A dry dock near to you when it is needed on days’ notice in case of, is not easily found, probably something that has to be booked well in advance.

Koningsdam has been in the water for some time now (since march 2015), and it is maybe just a standard period of getting her final coat of paint on the underwater section, together with visual checks of the underwater parts that have had their shake down in the last few days, checking the azipods and thrusters after the (high) speed and other trials. Maybe it is also standerd procedure to visually check things like bolts and seals below the waterline, after the initial runs and shakedowns.

Edited by Alphen

If I would have to put my money on it, I would say it is a scheduled dry-dock.

A dry dock near to you when it is needed on days’ notice in case of, is not easily found, probably something that has to be booked well in advance.

Koningsdam has been in the water for some time now (since march 2015), and it is maybe just a standard period of getting her final coat of paint on the underwater section, together with visual checks of the underwater parts that have had their shake down in the last few days, checking the azipods and thrusters after the (high) speed and other trials. Maybe it is also standerd procedure to visually check things like bolts and seals below the waterline, after the initial runs and shakedowns.

Yes, all that looks like standard operating procedures after initially '' playing in the water for a while''.

As to paint...judging by what she looked like on the FB video, definitely needed !!!:D

cheers

I also understand Captain Albert will be on board for a while in his new current position of ''teacher emeritus''. He's the probably the most senior officer on the staff with HAL....and deserving of the honour of being part of the launch team.

Copper 10-8 would likely concur.

A big thank you for all who are sharing info on the Koningsdam via this discussion thread! We are excited about being on the Christening cruise and are really enjoying following along with this info as the ship gets ready for revenue sailing!!

Koningsdam is currently conducting trials again, earlier today she tested high speed turns. Contract specifications are tested if they are met correctly, probably making sure that she is able to turn within specifications, with a specified maximum tilt angle at maximum turning speeds (over 23 knots!).

Kdam%20turns_zps2ia55mjj.jpg