Dining options

cincicruisers

Hello

I am trying to understand the dining venues and how it works. I am reading lots of reviews and people are eating at different venues each night. Some are 'specialty' restaurants and some are 'included'.

Then I see where you can get a UDP. How does that work?

Do you need to reserve ahead of time?

Is there a cost savings to purchase ahead of time or for multiple reservations?

Is there a listing somewhere where I can see all of the restaurants and whether they are included or extra n a particular ship

Is there a listing somewhere where I can see all of the restaurants and whether they are included or extra n a particular ship

Google "NCL"; choose "NCL.com" and when you are there the first page has "Plan your Vacation". Click and then "Plan by Ship". Find the ship you are interested in and then "Explore Ship" and all will be revealed about that ship.

Mike

You can no longer buy the UDP. Instead, it is the SDP, which you can buy for the number of meals that you choose. This generally saves money compared to paying per meal, although the amount of the saving depends on which restaurants you go to (and what you order in some of the restaurants that are changing to a la carte pricing).

In some restaurants, the SDP just gives you a discount rather than totally covering the cost.

There are mixed reports about whether you need to book in advance. Personally, I have only ever had one cruise where reservations were a problem to get once onboard, but many people on here have reported lately that they have struggled, so it is probably best to reserve them before boarding to be safe.

There are details on the NCL website, including lists of the restaurants, their charges and details of what the SDP includes. I can't link them as I'm on my phone at the moment and as I'm in the UK, any links I post may not work for you. In my experience, they aren't hard to find though.

Then I see where you can get a UDP. How does that work? You buy a package of x meals that only you can use at any time during the cruise in the specialty restaurants. Any others in your party has to have their own, there is no sharing/shouting.

Do you need to reserve ahead of time? In one word NO. But if you want a specific day and time then it is more logical so to do. Also if you do before hand and want to change you can do so provided you do it more than 24 hours before the booked time.

Is there a cost savings to purchase ahead of time or for multiple reservations? No.

For more information; when you are in the NCL website go to "Get Ready for your Cruise" and then "Onboard Packages". That will give you details.

HTH

Mike

I could help you better with the restaurants if I knew which NCL ship you are going on.

Do buy the UDP (unless it was included with your cruise package) as it is wonderful. The thing about NCL is that you can eat in a different restaurant every night and unlike other cruise lines, most of the tables are small enough for your family group, be it 2 or 4. However, if you are traveling with a large group, they do have the flexibility to setup a table for them in any venue. To some extent an NCL cruise feels more like a land vacation.

Here is a site which includes all the 2014 menus for all NCL ships:

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-breakaway-menus.html

There have been some menu improvements since 2014, but in general, if it is a specialty restaurant, then that is something that you pay extra for either by paying at the time you dine there or with the UDP. The key changes I can think of is that Shanghai's is now a free venue. The MDR's are free as is the buffet and O'Sheehan's. The Great Outdoors is free. Flamingo Grill on Getaway is free. Margaritaville on Escape is not free.

As far as the evening specialty restaurants go such as:

Le Bistro

Cagney's (steakhouse - sometimes called something else on certain ships)

Moderno

La Cucina

Ocean Blue

Teppanyaki

If you want to eat in the above restaurants it is best to make a reservation for them BEFORE your cruise so you get the time you want. Le Bistro, Teppanyaki and Cagney's do tend to sell out within the first day of the cruise. If you cannot get a reservation online get your reservation on the day you board the ship. Some ships also have a dinner theater and it is best to make your reservation for the dinner and show BEFOER you board the ship.

It is also best to reserve a spa pass if you want one before you board the ship and are not in a spa cabin.

The Main Dining rooms, you can generally get into easily without a reservation except for the Manhattan Room and the Tropicana Room - these are best to reserve. The Garden Cafe Buffet is massive and so comprehensive that many do most of their meals there. O'Sheehan's is another popular free venue with Prime Rib featured on some nights.

The Haven Restaurant or Epic Club - unless you are in the Haven, does not apply to you. If you are a Haven guest you will not need a reservation at all for this restaurant which is free for Haven guests.

As to the UDP, yes, you save money by buying it ahead of time. It is hard to say how much - perhaps 20% or so. But NCL also may include this package with the purchase of your cruise.

BTW, KeithJenner is correct, the UDP is now the SDP.

Actually they are not the same. The UDP, which is no longer available, allowed unlimited dining. The SDP is limited to however many dinners you purchase.

If you pick the SDP as your included perk for a 7 day cruise, it will only give you 4 dinners. If you wish to only eat your dinners in the specialty restaurants, you will then be able to purchase the 3 night specialty dining package before your cruise at a rate of 59.00 pp, plus 18% grat or 69.62.

This is interesting to me. I have not cruised with NCL for 10 years now and at that time the 'new' Freestyle dining was a new concept. I loved the idea of having no set dining time and it worked really well for me. I have booked a cruise on the Jade for October this year and after reading this forum am concerned that the way Freestyle works has changed. Many people say they now book their dining choices before their cruise, and a previous poster advises this. This is the opposite of the original definition of Freestyle. My idea of a holiday is to be spontaneous and not to plan in advance. I prefer to eat mostly in the MDR, and not before 8pm. Will I have to rethink my plans, will I still be able to eat in most places without too much queuing? I don't mind booking on the day if that works ok, or turning up and being asked to return in half an hour, but any further in advance does not really suit me when in my holiday frame of mind. I like to check the MDR menu, and if nothing excites me try somewhere else, so I expect that won't work? I am thinking of purchasing a Speciality Dining Package for 3 or 4 nights before sailing, but is it possible that if I do not book my actual venues and times until on board and closer to the time, I will find it difficult to use? Thanks anyone for your observations on Freestyle. :confused:

This is interesting to me. I have not cruised with NCL for 10 years now and at that time the 'new' Freestyle dining was a new concept. I loved the idea of having no set dining time and it worked really well for me. I have booked a cruise on the Jade for October this year and after reading this forum am concerned that the way Freestyle works has changed. Many people say they now book their dining choices before their cruise, and a previous poster advises this. This is the opposite of the original definition of Freestyle. My idea of a holiday is to be spontaneous and not to plan in advance. I prefer to eat mostly in the MDR, and not before 8pm. Will I have to rethink my plans, will I still be able to eat in most places without too much queuing? I don't mind booking on the day if that works ok, or turning up and being asked to return in half an hour, but any further in advance does not really suit me when in my holiday frame of mind. I like to check the MDR menu, and if nothing excites me try somewhere else, so I expect that won't work? I am thinking of purchasing a Speciality Dining Package for 3 or 4 nights before sailing, but is it possible that if I do not book my actual venues and times until on board and closer to the time, I will find it difficult to use? Thanks anyone for your observations on Freestyle. :confused:

The thing about freestyle is that it gives you the option to decide where and when you want to dine (and do other things like entertainment). Many people read this as meaning that you can be spontaneous, but I don't think that has ever actually been the intention (although it has been, and still is possible). Bookings for speciality restaurants have long been recommended, and just turning up at a speciality restaurant has always meant the chance of not getting in.

You will always be able to get into the MDR, although there may be waits. Personally, I have never waited more than a few minutes, but some have reported longer waits, they do have buzzers so you may not have to wait in line.

I have always booked speciality restaurants at least a day or two in advance, and often now book before boarding. However, it is often possible to change those reservations onboard, so you aren't necessarily tied to those times. Whilst I have never had any problem, reports on these boards suggest that if you wait until you are onboard then there is a chance you may struggle to get reservations.

The thing about freestyle is that it gives you the option to decide where and when you want to dine (and do other things like entertainment). Many people read this as meaning that you can be spontaneous, but I don't think that has ever actually been the intention (although it has been, and still is possible). Bookings for speciality restaurants have long been recommended, and just turning up at a speciality restaurant has always meant the chance of not getting in.

You will always be able to get into the MDR, although there may be waits. Personally, I have never waited more than a few minutes, but some have reported longer waits, they do have buzzers so you may not have to wait in line.

I have always booked speciality restaurants at least a day or two in advance, and often now book before boarding. However, it is often possible to change those reservations onboard, so you aren't necessarily tied to those times. Whilst I have never had any problem, reports on these boards suggest that if you wait until you are onboard then there is a chance you may struggle to get reservations.

Thanks, that has reassured me as the MDR will probably be where I will dine the most. Just a thought - if a Dining Package is purchased, what will happen if one cannot get reservations to use it?

Thanks, that has reassured me as the MDR will probably be where I will dine the most. Just a thought - if a Dining Package is purchased, what will happen if one cannot get reservations to use it?

I'm afraid I don't know. The posts on here that say they had trouble usually then say that they managed to get reservations when they kicked up a fuss, so I don't actually recall hearing from anyone who was unable to get some reservations in the end.

Does anyone know how many nights they include on a 8 day sailing under the choice promo? We just booked a suite on the breakaway and our reservation only says free specialty dining. .. it doesn't say how many nights. On our cruise last year we had the UDP and UBP but it seems things are different now. Thanks!

Does anyone know how many nights they include on a 8 day sailing under the choice promo? We just booked a suite on the breakaway and our reservation only says free specialty dining. .. it doesn't say how many nights. On our cruise last year we had the UDP and UBP but it seems things are different now. Thanks!
A 7 day sailing gets you 4 dinners, so an eight may get you 5, but I do not know for certain. I do know though that if you wish to purchase the additional nights in specialty restaurants so you do not have to eat in the MDR, it's charged as 3 nights, not the difference between 4 and 7. The 3 night charge is 59, the difference between the 4 and 7 night package is only 45. And of course you need to pay the additional 18% gratuity no matter which way you go.

7-9 night sailings receive a 4-night SDP. The UBP will be for the entire cruise. We are going on a 9-night sailing in July and received the SDP for 4 nights, and the UBP.

So, if I received the Choice SDP with the purchase of my cruise, can I make reservations in advance on the NCL website? I don't see where I can do this on the website, it just gives me an option to purchase an additional package for 3 nights. It's been almost 3 years since we've cruised NCL and wasn't sure if we could make our dinner reservations online before our cruise or not.

So, if I received the Choice SDP with the purchase of my cruise, can I make reservations in advance on the NCL website? I don't see where I can do this on the website, it just gives me an option to purchase an additional package for 3 nights. It's been almost 3 years since we've cruised NCL and wasn't sure if we could make our dinner reservations online before our cruise or not.

Yes, you can make advance reservations, but not until 90 days before your cruise. That's probably why they aren't showing up. Once you are at 90 days, you will see additional options for dining appear. Or you can click on each day's itinerary and add dining that way.

We are leaving in March, and I just finished up making my reservations.

Yes, you will be able to reserve 90 days prior to sailing. The specialties will appear under the Dining section at that time. It should show $0 when you're checking out. If you have any trouble, you can also call NCL to make the reservations.

Which is what I said.

I was correcting SuiteTraveler, not you. I quoted SuiteTraveler's post which said UDP and SDP were the same.

Moreover, in post #5 SuiteTraveler says to buy the UDP. That is no longer available which also led me to believe that SuiteTraveler does indeed think that the UDP and the SDP are the same.

Your explanation was good but I'm not sure SuiteTraveler read all of it since he/she claimed that you were correct in saying that UDP and SDP are the same.

Edited by NMLady

Teppanyaki is probably the one you would most want to make an advanced reservation for, since it has the most limited seating and the most limited seating times. For the other restaurants, my experience on two NCL cruises is that you shouldn't have any problem getting a seat for 5:30 or 9:30, but anything in-between is a hit-and-miss prospect.