Denali or Kenai Peninsula

ragincajun76

Which would you choose touring Denali or touring Kenai Peninsula after a cruise that ends in Seward. Time & budget constraints will only allow us to do one. I know we are the ones who have to make the final decision but I would like to hear comments from those who have experienced both. Your opinions are very helpful so please list pro's & con's that you have experienced. Thanks.

Denali, in a heartbeat. I must include Denali in any visit to Alaska .... I love the wildlife, the vastness, the beautiful scenery. Last summer I had 3 days and a free ticket on Alaska Airlines; Denali was my choice.

No 2 trips into the park are the same. And even on a rainy dreary day, the bus ride is still enjoyable .... the animals don't mind the rain and wind. It's so exciting to see them in their natural environment.

To me the Kenai is just more of same scenery I saw on the cruise. Keep in mind that I live in the Pacific NW, have access to a boat, so my frame of reference is different from someone coming from Kansas. Not to say there aren't some beautiful sights on the Kenai , but it doesn't grab me the way Denali does. When you park above Homer there's a beautiful view of the Spit, the sea, mountains and glaciers. But on a rainy day, not so much.

It's definitely a personal decision. I mean there are people who cruise to Alaska every year, and some do multiple cruises or back to back cruises every year. One Alaska cruise was enough for me.

Since it's a personal choice I would encourage you to develop a complete itinerary for both destinations; include sights & activities, travel time, lodging choices, and overall cost.And if the weather is crappy, have a back up plan. ie if you have a 6 hr Kenai cruise but it's stormy, what will you do for the day?

Which itinerary stands out to you? which sounds best to your entire travel group? which will best provide you with the sights and experiences you want?

Edited by mapleleaves

I agree with mapleleaves that it is a personal choice.

After doing a ton of research and finding out what there is to do, we chose the Kenai Peninsula. It is more our speed and offers a lot of what we wanted to do without as much driving or sitting in car/bus (which was a big factor for us). Also, we LOVE coastal regions and don't get to see them in our everyday life. If you are a more outdoorsy type than we are and can or like to hike, your choice may Denali.

I don't think there is a wrong choice. It was really hard to pick at first, but the research really helped.

If you're interested in the Kenai Peninsula and don't know where to start your research, this is an excellent source: http://kenaipeninsula.org/destinations

It depends who is traveling (if kids how old?). But generally I too would choose Denali over the Kenai Peninsula in a heartbeat. Scenery, wildlife, hiking is incredible.

And you talk about budget constraints? You can get three days of shuttle buses into the park for well under $100/person. Lots of lodging options in the Denali area, ranging from a hostel with varied shared and private lodging to fairly luxurious cabins.

I ask the insightful questions. :) What led you to choose these two locations? Have you looked into each- are very familiar with what each offers and WHAT you want to do/include in each of these areas? Have you read, numerous trip reports, on each location?

If you have any weak spots in my questions- I would suggest you back up and cove it.

What you are going to find- are raves about everything in Alaska. I caution being swayed by single claims of "better", because they are only that person's preferences. You just don't see, "oh boy", did I make a mistake in Alaska going to A, B, C. " Instead you will see a lot of, "best trip ever, which we had more time, can't wait to return" etc.

Make lists, and keep narrowing, fine tuning. an area/tour of interest?- look further- trip reports, costs, time. That list is going to evolve- IF you invest the time, and do your own thinking. ;) The answer will be in front of you.

How much time are you investing in your mainland trip? There could be the possibility to include Seward and Denali? Which may be an acceptable compromise?

On our first Alaska visit, we had 9 nights/10 days for the land trip, and chose not to go to Denali. Our itinerary was:

Day 1 - cruise ends in Whittier, shuttle to Anchorage (1 night)

Day 2 - pick-up rental car, drive to Chitina, fly to McCarthy (2 nights in Kennicott)

Day 3 - Root Glacier hike, mill tour

Day 4 - fly to Chitina, drive to Valdez (1 night)

Day 5 - ferry to Whittier, drive to Homer (2 nights)

Day 6 - Homer

Day 7 - drive to Seward (2 nights)

Day 8 - Kenai Fjords cruise, Sea Life Center

Day 9 - drive to Cooper Landing (river float), then to Anchorage (1 night)

Day 10 - fly home

The following year we had the same number of days for the land trip, but went to Denali for 2 nights, after we attended a church conference in Eagle River for 5 days. We did sightseeing in the Anchorage area each day before the conference started. I hadn't been particularly interested in animal viewing in Denali, but the scenery there was much more beautiful than I expected.

Both trips were great, and I'd do either again in a heartbeat.