Recommended way to bring wine onboard RCI ships

I haven't brought wine onboard with RCI before, so I'm unfamiliar with the process...

I know that guests can bring 2 x 750 mL bottles of wine onboard per stateroom on boarding day, per the FAQ:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=260

However, I am wondering what the recommended or correct way is to bring it on board.

If I pack it into the middle of a suitcase to protect the glass bottles, security x-ray won't be able to tell it's wine from hard liquor, and I imagine they'll want to verify it's wine...I don't want them tearing apart my suitcase.

If I pack it on the top so a quick unzip by security will reveal it's wine, the glass bottles could be subject to breakage during bag handling as they're delivered to the stateroom by the crew (I don't have hard-sided luggage).

If I check the main luggage and carry on the wine bottles in hand luggage (or my wife's purse, LOL), then we have to deal with carrying around the weight (OK, I know, boohoo, right?). Maybe I should make her carry them anyway because she is the wine-drinker, not me :)

Other logistical questions...does bringing these two bottles onboard mean that you get to keep them in your stateroom, and then you carry a bottle to dinner when you want to have a glass? (These are screw-top bottles that I have, no corkscrew needed.) I know there's no corkage fee (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5442&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqType=faq).

How can we keep the wine chilled? Is this where the cabin steward comes into play by bringing ice upon request, on a daily/twice-daily basis?

Thanks everyone!

I would take the wine in a carry-on because it solves many problems that way.

Take the wine to the dining room. The dining room people will keep wine chilled for you. If you want wine chilled before your first dinner, you would have to seek our a bar and ask for a bucket with ice. You may not have time to chill the wine by the time you see the stateroom attendant.

Edited by clarea

Carry on is generally the recommended way. I have used a laptop-style backpack as my carry on bag. It's easy and hands-free to carry around, and the padded laptop compartment makes a nice place to keep the wine (the computer itself stays home, when I'm on a cruise). You just need something to put between the two bottles, so they're not knocking into each other (a rolled up t-shirt works well).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok set me straight if there are 4 people in a room (all over the drinking age, way over) we can bring 4 bottles of wine on with us in our carry-ons. Is this a correct assumption?? Have never brought any on board so need all the facts.. Thanks

Ok set me straight if there are 4 people in a room (all over the drinking age, way over) we can bring 4 bottles of wine on with us in our carry-ons. Is this a correct assumption?? Have never brought any on board so need all the facts.. Thanks

way over huh?! heheheh :D

2 bottles per cabin, regardless of number of adults in the room

Yep, I had mine in a backpack. They sent me to secondary inspection to make sure it hadn't been filled with something else and resealed.

Same happened last week on a Carnival and I had one bottle of champagne in my backpack.

When you pass through x-ray they will tell you to go over to another security desk for inspection.

Ok, guys thanks for the answer, I will pass that information on to the wine drinkers in the group, and YES LOL way over the age limit but still a lot of fun..:D

That's the official answer, however, the screeners who would deny the bottles have no idea who is in what cabin (especially if you are separated going through the line) so as a practical matter you can bring two bottles per person.:cool:

Sometimes the people doing the bag check before you board send you to the second table - that person is supposed to (note supposted) write down your room number when you go to that table.

Have not seen them look at that list to see if anyone has already been through from your room - but does anyone ever look at the list after you board??

That's the official answer, however, the screeners who would deny the bottles have no idea who is in what cabin (especially if you are separated going through the line) so as a practical matter you can bring two bottles per person.:cool:

I have also packed it in luggage and have yet to have it confiscated, even on spring break trips. That being said there is always a first time I just hope it is not this march.

Yep, I had mine in a backpack. They sent me to secondary inspection to make sure it hadn't been filled with something else and resealed.

Same happened last week on a Carnival and I had one bottle of champagne in my backpack.

When you pass through x-ray they will tell you to go over to another security desk for inspection.

Did they have you open the bottle?

i.e oxygenate the wine prior to drinking?

Reporting back after my experience at Cruise Maryland terminal -- I put the two 750 mL wine bottles into my backpack (which I wore, thus carried on). At the security screening, I declared them, opened my backpack to pull the bottles out to show the security screener (that they were indeed unopened wine bottles), and then put them back into my backpack for the x-ray conveyor belt to screen everything else in the backpack.

I walked on with my backpack and kept the two bottles in my room, bringing them to the dining room on the two nights my wife wanted the wine. The waiter chilled the wine in a bucket of ice in the dining room. Each bottle was finished on the night it was opened at dinner so I can't say what they would have done otherwise (we shared each bottle with the other guests at the table).

EDIT: Just to clarify that I was NOT sent to secondary inspection for the wine bottles. The security screener stationed at the start of the x-ray conveyor took a glance at the bottles and motioned for me to return them to my backpack.

Edited by moopetguy

Thanks for you post...I was wondering if they record your stateroom..I can't remember what ship did that..or cruise line..I've sailed them all. So.. just saying..If my husband and I aren't standing together or near each other ..we could both have two bottles in our carry ons.. and that would be that..Really would beat paying $ 35 plus gratuity for a four dollar bottle of wine in the dining room. ( So silly, Berringer , I don't drink it but it amazes me!!!) You know, I have absolutely no problem paying for a wine package and always used to buy the five or seven bottle package,but they eliminated it, and I just don't drink enough to justify buying a beverage package. At least on celebrity, I could use some of my beverage package on coffees, but there is now way I could drink that much.. thanks for the wine info..it will definitely help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I've cruised before but did not take wine onboard. Since the board has been noting price increases, I will take some this time. I assume that when everyone talks about "carryon" they are not talking about airline carryon. Does anyone have suggestons for safely packing the bottles in my checked luggage for my flight? I could always remove the bottles from my luggage when I get to the port and carry it on then. Thanks for any info you can give!

Hi! I've cruised before but did not take wine onboard. Since the board has been noting price increases, I will take some this time. I assume that when everyone talks about "carryon" they are not talking about airline carryon. Does anyone have suggestons for safely packing the bottles in my checked luggage for my flight? I could always remove the bottles from my luggage when I get to the port and carry it on then. Thanks for any info you can give!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/177-8594642-4830133?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wine+diapers

...If I pack it into the middle of a suitcase to protect the glass bottles, security x-ray won't be able to tell it's wine from hard liquor, and I imagine they'll want to verify it's wine...I don't want them tearing apart my suitcase.

If I pack it on the top so a quick unzip by security will reveal it's wine, the glass bottles could be subject to breakage during bag handling as they're delivered to the stateroom by the crew (I don't have hard-sided luggage).

If I check the main luggage and carry on the wine bottles in hand luggage

Other logistical questions...does bringing these two bottles onboard mean that you get to keep them in your stateroom, and then you carry a bottle to dinner when you want to have a glass?

How can we keep the wine chilled? Is this where the cabin steward comes into play by bringing ice upon request, on a daily/twice-daily basis?

Some of your questions have been answered in part, but I'll see if I can address all the questions...

Ship's security does not open your suitcase for questionable bottles, although they can scan any part no matter how you pack it. If there is anything questionable, you will be called to the "naughty room" to open your case and show them. So where you pack it in your case makes no difference.

However, in line with other comments here I highly recommend carrying your wine on. If you can't fit it in your carry on easily I have seen nifty shopping bag type wine carriers that some of the wine stores around will sell/give you with your purchase (specifically we got ours from Publix, but I have seen them in other stores).

We usually keep a bottle in the stateroom and bring another to dinner with us. If you don't finish the bottle at dinner, your waiter will store it and bring it back the next day.

If your fridge is not adequate for chilling, your room steward can get a bucket and ice if you wish. You can get wine glasses from any bar. If you happen to pick a wine that is corked, you can get a corkscrew from the bar as well, but it is usually a little crummy souvenir style one. So I suggest bringing your own (put it in checked luggage if you are flying in)

Some of your questions have been answered in part, but I'll see if I can address all the questions...

Ship's security does not open your suitcase for questionable bottles, although they can scan any part no matter how you pack it. If there is anything questionable, you will be called to the "naughty room" to open your case and show them. So where you pack it in your case makes no difference.

However, in line with other comments here I highly recommend carrying your wine on. If you can't fit it in your carry on easily I have seen nifty shopping bag type wine carriers that some of the wine stores around will sell/give you with your purchase (specifically we got ours from Publix, but I have seen them in other stores).

We usually keep a bottle in the stateroom and bring another to dinner with us. If you don't finish the bottle at dinner, your waiter will store it and bring it back the next day.

If your fridge is not adequate for chilling, your room steward can get a bucket and ice if you wish. You can get wine glasses from any bar. If you happen to pick a wine that is corked, you can get a corkscrew from the bar as well, but it is usually a little crummy souvenir style one. So I suggest bringing your own (put it in checked luggage if you are flying in)

A port agent i was talking to said all the above is correct. However, he told me that bringing your own corkscrew can get confiscated. it consider a weapons.Screw caps is highly recommended.

A port agent i was talking to said all the above is correct. However, he told me that bringing your own corkscrew can get confiscated. it consider a weapons.Screw caps is highly recommended.

Which is why I suggested putting it in your checked luggage. A corkscrew really can't be considered a weapon if they'll give you one on board. It is not on RC's list of prohibited items. However, I guess I should clarify that is should be okay if it is just a corkscrew. My dad has one of those multitool corkscrews with a knife blade for cutting the wrapping off the top of the bottle. *That* might get confiscated.

When flying I usually source a wine shop near port and call the store ahead to have my order ready for pick up. have the cab swing by, pick up the wine and off the ship. I like particular wine that isn't always onboard and its for the room. I take 2 bottles in a leather wine carrier (stowed in the outside pocket of main luggage) and have never had anyone blink as I boarded. There was one time we did back to back and each had 2 bottles but hubby and I cleared with no issues. (I expected to have 2 held and returned at the end of the cruise for the second leg)

That said officially 2 bottles per cabin

If driving I pack them right into my carry on roller bag so I don't have the weight to carry whilst awaiting cabins to open at 1pm.

I have never had any issue taking wine onboard but I am sure some people abuse it.

I see no reason to have ice packs in the carry on bag for chilling -

Stewards will bring ice, wine glasses and opener. Just ask them when you meet up - it will be chilled by the time your back from muster - plenty of time prior to dinner