RCL priciing...am I missing something?

My wife and I are C&A Diamond+ members and have just put a booking hold on an RCL cruise on the Explorer out of Sydney for this March.

We went thru' the RCL on-line booking process as C&A D+ members.

We then went thru' the on-line process again without entering our C&A member nos.

We were surprised to find that without our membership numbers the price on-line worked out to be 270AUD more, but that we were entitled to an OBC of 300USD that was not available to us with our C&A numbers!

We're tempted to book the second option, but are concerned that our D+ status may not be recognised once we get on board.

Has anyone experienced this situation, either as Platinum, Diamond or Diamond+ members?

Thanks in advance.

MP.

You can choose which way you want to go. Either take the OBC or the D+ discount whichever works out best. This does not affect in any way your on board status.

Sometimes both options are offered. Give RCL a ring and see if they will offer you both discounts but i woukdnt hold my breath.

Some of the online agents are offering slightly better cruise fares.

Hugh

Had same experience booked cruise made payment of deposit, the payment page showed C&A discount and the $300 obc included when I payed they removed the $300 obc after I had payed and said I cant have both . I do have a screen shot of the payment summary page which shows it all ,so as far as I am concerned Royal are just thieves

The combinability of various discounts/benefits with RC has often been a source of consternation for some. I think the rules could be better of course:) but are generally quite clear.

The booking website should give you whatever is programmed as the best deal ie signed in via C&A or not signed in. Of course you can choose whichever option suits you best, & that should be as offered when 'signed in'. I guess sometimes the website has 'issues'.

That said, as others have posted, once onboard your status will be recognised. In fact, your C&A# can be added at on-line checkin.

I myself would not travel with a company I considered thieves, but I guess that's individual choice.

Thanks to everyone for your valued comments & input.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

What really p...s me off with this is that RCL are financially penalising its repeat customers, to benefit its new customers, who, after ther first cruise, will be repeat customers and be financially penalised!

Now, to my simple mind, the no of new customers will always be less than the no of repeats, so RCL is dudding its repeat customers purely for a profit motive, instead of encouranging repeat customers financially.

I hope I've expressed myself clearly enough to show how, by stealth, RCL are really dudding its repeat customers!

Again, thanks for your input.

MP.

Thanks to everyone for your valued comments & input.

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

What really p...s me off with this is that RCL are financially penalising its repeat customers, to benefit its new customers, who, after ther first cruise, will be repeat customers and be financially penalised!

Now, to my simple mind, the no of new customers will always be less than the no of repeats, so RCL is dudding its repeat customers purely for a profit motive, instead of encouranging repeat customers financially.

I hope I've expressed myself clearly enough to show how, by stealth, RCL are really dudding its repeat customers!

Again, thanks for your input.

MP.

Yes it does seem to go against best business management practices. Repeat customers are your most valued customers.

Yep, you are missing the reward for your loyalty. There are quite a few posts on the RCI board here, and people are pretty disappointed.

Two offers are not combinable with the diamond discount. Or the Shareholder discount apparently. Lately all offers and continuing sales are very much focused on new customers. The BOGOHO offer has been running pretty much all the time since early 2014, and these OBC offers are becoming more frequent, and it is possible they will become the norm.

So they are really two offers that are now becoming regular pricing, and while I understand we can't get our diamond discounts on top of real specials, if they continue with the OBC promotions closer together, and for longer times, as has happened with the BOGOHO, there will only be a choice of taking your diamond benefit for loyalty at the cost of receiving a higher reward without it.

I do like the diamond lounge, but if I find it gets to be regular that suite guests have higher priority to use it (as happened on Voyager recently) then that will nearly be the death nell for the loyalty program.

I am already doing my research on Princess cruises. 3 drinks a night on my seas pass are nice, but not a lot of reward for tens of thousands in spending.

Others may see some other benefits from the loyalty program, but a free internet day on internet that barely works ain't much of a perk either (It is woeful over here from Aussie ports). A pack of biscuits (to be shared, as they are obviously so valuable and worth much more than the free stuff available all over the ship), $10 discount on a bag of laundry off the $30 price that used to be $20 not that long ago.

We have been loyal to royal and had some great cruises. We will add up everything as you have to when buying a product. We enjoyed our happy hour drinks on Solstice also as a reciprocal perk. Now everyone gets free drinks all day or $300 OBC. The trend continues.

The loyalty program is being devalued by stealth. It was too successful, and now that we have spend the money they have changed their focus to suites and newbies. That is their choice. They can market things as they want. Our going elsewhere will not concern them, or they wouldn't be setting up the marketing this way.

Edited by goodycruising