Paying cabs in Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam

abatlin

We will be arriving Singapore airport after midnight on the same day as our cruise. Do cabs take credit cards, US dollars or is it necessary to visit an atm machine before departing airport for hotel? With only 12 hours to spend in Singapore, would like not to have to exchange money.

We will be visiting Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam during the cruise. Do cabs take credit cards in these countries? How well accepted is the dollar in these countries? Will we need to exchange money for each of these countries? We will be visiting the weekend market in Bangkok and Ben Thanh market in Saigon. Do the take US dollars there or is it better to negotiate in their currency? With several countries and currencies, would much rather keep it simple.

Thoughts on how best to handle the different countries and currencies?

We will be arriving Singapore airport after midnight on the same day as our cruise. Do cabs take credit cards, US dollars or is it necessary to visit an atm machine before departing airport for hotel? With only 12 hours to spend in Singapore, would like not to have to exchange money.

We will be visiting Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam during the cruise. Do cabs take credit cards in these countries? How well accepted is the dollar in these countries? Will we need to exchange money for each of these countries? We will be visiting the weekend market in Bangkok and Ben Thanh market in Saigon. Do the take US dollars there or is it better to negotiate in their currency? With several countries and currencies, would much rather keep it simple.

Welcome to Singapore

Some Cabs do take credit cards (example: Visa). But there is a surcharge of 10%. Ask at the taxi stand if they accept credit Cards just to make sure before you get on board one.

Enjoy your cruise.

Really enjoyed the Ben Thanh market...you'll have no problems using US$'s and the key is to "negotiate" and be prepared to walk away worked well for us last March 2015...loved this market !!!

On my last visit to Vietnam 12 months ago cabs did not accept credit card (and most trips in Saigon were just a couple of dollars anyway). If spending a day in Saigon or visiting a couple of stops in Vietnam I would get a small amount from the money changers who come on board the ship at Phu My or visit an ATM and get some Dong. ATM's are everywhere have even seen one in a rice paddy field?

Just make sure you get rid of your Dong before you leave Vietnam, only good for wallpapering the toilet if you take it home.

With taxis look at Trip Advisor Vietnam for taxis to use etc. Lots of scams with taxi and only two companies recommended and there are even fakes of those around to. Drivers of the recommended taxi companies wear either a red or green tie. If no tie, do not get in the cab. Insist on the meter and pay in Dong.

You can have a great time if you do a little research before going, ie markets, cost of things to buy, tourist attractions etc.

Really enjoyed the Ben Thanh market...you'll have no problems using US$'s and the key is to "negotiate" and be prepared to walk away worked well for us last March 2015...loved this market !!!

Ben Thanh market is nice to visit but the vendors will hound you to death to buy from them. Actually I visit here but generally buy elsewhere as their pricing is certainly pitched at the tourists. Stalls around the edge of the market (still inside the main building) are fixed price and they sell the same things so get an idea of the price here then go for it with the other vendors. These fixed prices vendors are not so pushy as the others.

Again if you look at Trip Advisor and search markets in Saigon you will find alternatives.

I don't think Singapore cabs take a US credit card. If they do, it is hit or miss. How are you getting to the ship next day? How far are you staying from the ship? I would take about 100 SGD out and use any change for tips to the crew. They can cash anything in.

Hope this helps!

I don't think Singapore cabs take a US credit card. If they do, it is hit or miss. How are you getting to the ship next day? How far are you staying from the ship? I would take about 100 SGD out and use any change for tips to the crew. They can cash anything in.

Hope this helps!

If they take Australian credit cards then why would they not take US issued cards?

If they take Australian credit cards then why would they not take US issued cards?

My understanding is they don't all take them...and those that do have a good surcharge...I just use cash or nets.

For uber, just need the app and connectivity?

I do not know about Australia, but we have been on a river cruise with Americans when our Uk cards worked fine, but not the US ones. It seems the US ones did not have a chip in them. That may have changed.

The person from Singapore mentioned Visa as an example and that it is only accepted by some cabs, so it is possible some only certain cards are accepted as well.