Island Princess Alaska questions

Amy1118

This may be a silly question but I've only done Caribbean cruises before so summer clothes were in order. I'll be on the Island Princess May 15th and am deciding what clothes to take. I know that the interior of the ship will be climate controlled, but will I be more comfortable in winter or summer clothes inside?

Also, I'm planning a helicopter/dog sled trip (if I don't chicken out). I live in South Texas and am not a particularly adventurous person so I don't have much in the way of cold weather gear other than jeans, sweaters, and an all weather coat with a zip in lining. Will I be warm enough in that? Will the coat be a problem. I don't have a warm waterproof jacket and I'm not sure I can find one here now. I do have warm gloves and a muffler.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Three more weeks!

Amy

Amy, I'm in the same situation as you..I'm from FL and never been to Alaska before and my cold weather clothes are somewhat lacking LOL

The predominant theme I've read is layer, layer, layer. And also to watch out for jeans since they don't dry terribly easily.

Also, check out the Alaska thread on the Ports of Call forum..lots of great info there!

Hi. Yes, layer, take your coat with zip in lining as you may need it. If you like jeans they are ok but would advise you get a set of wind/water proof pants to use outdoors. Take a hat and pair of mitts (you can buy these almost anywhere in Vancouver or Alaska but may be out of seanson now). You can use a baseball cap if need be. The temps can be cold for you since you are not use to temps from 30-50 degrees some days. The temp can also be 70 easily too.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Get a pair of long underwear and warm socks. I bought ear muffs in Juneau 'cause I don't like hats and the ear muffs did the trick. Buy a cheap poncho to throw over everything. If/when it rains, it rains hard and you will be cold and soaked without some protection. A poncho works just fine. Umbrellas are sometimes not much help because of wind. On the other hand, you could have sunny, nice days, but better to be prepared!

Yes bring it all- layers is the key- also quick drying. You will need a knit hat, gloves, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes. If you are going interior Alaska- highly recommended- you are all the way there. icon_smile.gif, plan on doing laundry to cut down on bulk. I never take jeans myself.

Great question, great answers. My daughter is one of the dancers and we are taking the 3 day from LA to Vancouver (surprise for her) - she thinks that we are meeting her in Vancouver. Anyway, the plan is that we are bringing her warmer clothing and taking home all of the summer clothes that she has had for the past 3 months - wasn't really sure what to take her.

Thanks for all of the info.

Joanne

03/25/04 Island Princess & quick 3 day May 12

08/15/03 Majesty of the Sea (b to b)

03/26/03 Sun Princess

12/15/02 Grand Princess

Thanks for all your answers. I hadn't thought of a knit hat but I do have one. I also have several ponchos from many trips to Walt Disney World (it always seems to rain there the day I don't take my poncho).

Now I just have to figure out where I can find waterproof pants and long underwear in South Texas in April. icon_confused.gif

If anyone else has any more suggestions, bring 'em on.!

Amy

Archived