Adapter/Converter in Argentina

clojacks

(I already posted this on the South America board, but if you look at the traffic in there, it is pretty slim, so I hope you forgive me for trying to see if I can find my answer faster in here. After all, it is for a Celebrity cruise)...

I'm having trouble finding consistent information on the need of just an adapter or an adapter and converter for Argentina. We will be in Buenos Aires and Iguazu Falls for a few days before boarding our ship in BA? We will have pretty common devices with us....Ipads, cell phones, camera battery chargers, curling irons.... Will these need converters or just adapters? Is there anyway I can tell on their chargers? Keeping in mind I am electricity challenged... I basically know what AC and DC are but beyond that, I sure wouldn't be trusted with my own wiring.

check the fine print on the chargers....if they say 110-220V or similar, they will work with just an adapter....and almost every ipad, cellphone and other piece of electronics these days is 110-220 (or 110-240...same thing). You should not take a curling iron...unless it is a travel curling iron and can be switched between 110V and 220/240V. Not a problem on the boat where there are 110V outlets, but sort of crazy to take a converter just for that one device.

It's very unlikely that you need a converter....just an adapter from the outlet configuration in Argentina to the US/UK/EU plug on your device.

Hi, I am currently at the Sheraton Iguazu Falls, and we also stayed at the BA Sheraton earlier this week. We do not need converters or our devices. Both hotels have North American type outlets in the bathrooms so we did not need adaptors either. Here in Iguazu the outlets are labelled 220. Heading home tomorrow, insert sad face here. Have a great cruise.

Hi Clojacks.

We are on your cruise. In regards to the curling iron and hair dryer. If you try to use either even with an adapter, you will fry it! I speak from experience. You will need a dual voltage appliance that can be switched between the two. It may be cheaper to get a dual voltage appliance rather than purchasing a converter. Try Sally's Beauty Supply, Walmart, a Target. Or you can google and you should have options. On the Infinity you won't have a problem. Also, if you google adapters for Argentina you should even get a picture of what you need. Hope this helps. See you onboard.

Pearl(Patty)

OP: this is my go-to web site if I ever need country specific adapters. (I have a universal adapter as well. Wasn't sure it had what was needed in China. This web site did for sure.) They also sell dual voltage appliances.

http://www.international-electrical-supplies.com/

As noted above, most electronics these days (cell phones, digital cameras, laptops, etc.) are dual voltage and don't require a converter, only a plug adapter. We spent several days in Buenos Aires three years ago and did not need any converters for our electronics.

Heat generating appliances like curling irons are a whole different kettle of fish.

Have a great trip!

Hi Clojacks.

We are on your cruise. In regards to the curling iron and hair dryer. If you try to use either even with an adapter, you will fry it! I speak from experience. You will need a dual voltage appliance that can be switched between the two. It may be cheaper to get a dual voltage appliance rather than purchasing a converter. Try Sally's Beauty Supply, Walmart, a Target. Or you can google and you should have options. On the Infinity you won't have a problem. Also, if you google adapters for Argentina you should even get a picture of what you need. Hope this helps. See you onboard.

Pearl(Patty)

Thanks for your input everybody. We do have a universal adapter that we have used all over Europe. And we do now have a dual voltage hair dryer after frying both a hair dryer AND curling iron in England a number of years ago. Hair dryers are never a problem as I don't recall a modern hotel or ship not having them. BUT, the curling iron is a different, but necessary, beast. So, to make my wife happy, I think we may be wise to hit Amazon for their dual voltage Curling Irons or check out or local Ulta. That seems to be the smarter approach than a converter to me.