Royal IQ app

tbill

How does this work? Do I need to purchase Wi-Fi to use it? How can I communicate with my spouse while aboard ship? Does it always work for that purpose? Also what else does it do? (besides luggage tracking, I've already read some stuff about that not working.

It seems like a great tool and worth the price to be able to communicate on board since the ship is so huge.

Wait for some feedback on the app. Also, you may want to post in the Quantum board, since those ships are the only ones that can use the app.

Some info here, but I still don't know if you need to purchase a WiFi package to use it:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royaliq

I think you do. I have the app and when I try to launch it says, "Royal iQ is only functional when you are on-board the ship.

Once on board Royal-wifi and then relaunch IQ to register".

I think you do. I have the app and when I try to launch it says, "Royal iQ is only functional when you are on-board the ship.

Once on board Royal-wifi and then relaunch IQ to register".

You can connect to Royal-WiFi without having internet access. I do it all the time. I don't have to log in when I want to print to one of the ship's printers.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that some features of RoyalIQ don't require internet access.

I've sailed on Anthem. Here's the basic info for the Royal iQ app:

1. Make sure you install it on your devices BEFORE you embark. It won't work till you are on the ship, but you need to install it before.

2. And that's because you DON'T need a wi fi package or other internet connection for the app to work once on board. It connects to the ship's own internal network. All for free!

3. But you can't use the app to communicate with other people on board unless you have paid for some sort of communications package for each device on which you want to be able to communicate. (As noted above, the other app functions are all free.) And you still need this package even if you have purchased an internet package. We didn't buy the app communciations package. If you want more info about it, I suggest doing a search in the Quantum class sub-forum or asking your question there.

4. The luggage tracking feature on the app did not work on either end of our cruise. Don't worry about it. It's a gimmick, probably fun when it works but we all cruised without it before! :)

5. The app froze up pretty regularly. When that happens, just close it out and re-launch it. That took care of the problem.

6. Other than all that, I thought the app was pretty nice. It was good to be able to see my daily calendar, the compass, my account, etc, right there on my phone. It was also easy to book dining on it. (Of course, I'd normally keep my phone in the safe for the whole cruise. :) )

7. I think Royal could do much more with the app. For example, how about putting the deck plans on it? I'm sure that would benefit a lot of folks.

Hope this has been helpful.

1. Make sure you install it on your devices BEFORE you embark. It won't work till you are on the ship, but you need to install it before.

2. And that's because you DON'T need a wi fi package or other internet connection for the app to work once on board. It connects to the ship's own internal network. All for free!

3. But you can't use the app to communicate with other people on board unless you have paid for some sort of communications package for each device on which you want to be able to communicate. (As noted above, the other app functions are all free.) And you still need this package even if you have purchased an internet package. We didn't buy the app communciations package. If you want more info about it, I suggest doing a search in the Quantum class sub-forum or asking your question there.

4. The luggage tracking feature on the app did not work on either end of our cruise. Don't worry about it. It's a gimmick, probably fun when it works but we all cruised without it before! :)

5. The app froze up pretty regularly. When that happens, just close it out and re-launch it. That took care of the problem.

6. Other than all that, I thought the app was pretty nice. It was good to be able to see my daily calendar, the compass, my account, etc, right there on my phone. It was also easy to book dining on it. (Of course, I'd normally keep my phone in the safe for the whole cruise. :) )

7. I think Royal could do much more with the app. For example, how about putting the deck plans on it? I'm sure that would benefit a lot of folks.

very Helpful. Thanks for clearing things up on how it works. A pity it is not fleet wide.

Each person needs to purchase the communication package which I did last year on Quantum, loved it to communicate and it worked great calling and texting friends on board. Last year it was one set price of $14.95 pp to connect to one another on IPhone to IPhone only.

I purchased it on board, near GS, by the Royal IQ IPads on Deck 5. They will explain how to set it up as you'll have to enter some additional information about each guest.

I did not find the app to be accurate on other functions it offered.

• 1 month later...

I am actually pretty shocked that deck plans aren't in the app. Seems like that would be the most useful thing feature they could have, especially if it could tell where you were and how to get to where you want to go.

Can you save or set reminders for things that interest you from the Compass? It would seem really useful if you could even just highlight an activity or event for later.

I am actually pretty shocked that deck plans aren't in the app. Seems like that would be the most useful thing feature they could have, especially if it could tell where you were and how to get to where you want to go.

Can you save or set reminders for things that interest you from the Compass? It would seem really useful if you could even just highlight an activity or event for later.

No, you can't do any of those useful things. (with the RoyaIQ app) :D

There are Wayfinders in every elevator lobby.

The Cruise Compass has a separate page for the daily schedule. Very easy to carry around. I guess that, although I like and use technology, I am still a very tactile person. ;)

One option for deck plans is to download an app called iCruise Cruise Finder. It has a database of almost all cruise ships. A few days before you sail, find your ship, then go to deck plans, and click on each deck and the deck legend. It will save the information to your phone (at least for a length of time), and you can retrieve it even in airplane mode.

Although the good thing about the newest ships is that with the wayfinders, you can get the deck plans fairly easily while walking around.