Pear Harbor tours? Any Ideas?

evansgang

We will be in Waikiki 3 nights post cruise from Dec 7 (thats the day we dock) till Dec 10 when we fly home. We would love to see Pearl Harbor and maybe the Missouri. Our concern is the time frame. Due to the infamous date, are we better off booking a tour rather than trying to get tickets on our own? We don't want to visit on Dec 7th, looking at maybe the 8th or 9th. We are sailing with NCL Wind and they have a tour available, or does anyone have any other recommendations? We are open to any suggestions.

A related question: If there are no reservations allowed at Pearl Harbor, then how do the tour companies quarantee a time and a seat out to it? Is the tour of the Missouri worth it?

Thanks so much for all your great help and advice.

Diane

The tour companies pick you up very early to get you out there when it first opens to get you in some of the first tours.

There is one tour you can get off the economy that does the Arizona, Missouri, Punchbowl National Cemetery, and a tour of Honolulu. It was worth it. When we got to the Missouri, we up-graded to the guided tour that took you to more places in the ship. Well worth going to.

Youre probably right not to go on the 7th since there will be ceremonies etc at both locations. My husband is usually involved with those and often they are closed ceremonies or in the case of the Missouri, sections of the ship would be closed. Since there is no telling what times it would be closed, you'd be better off going the next day and getting there early.

The Missouri is very interesting. If you are interested in WWII history and just the architecture of the ships, you would like it.

Another tour I always recommend is "Home of the Brave" which picks up at most hotels very early in the A.M. It gets to the Arizona memorial in time for one of the first tours out to the memorial. It is a 6 hour tour that re-visits several of the sites from December 7, and is done in a way that makes you feel you are right there. The Missouri is not included, so that would have to be a separate tour. We have done this tour twice and would do it again!

We will be in Waikiki 3 nights post cruise from Dec 7 (thats the day we dock) till Dec 10 when we fly home. We would love to see Pearl Harbor and maybe the Missouri. Our concern is the time frame. Due to the infamous date, are we better off booking a tour rather than trying to get tickets on our own? We don't want to visit on Dec 7th, looking at maybe the 8th or 9th. We are sailing with NCL Wind and they have a tour available, or does anyone have any other recommendations? We are open to any suggestions.

A related question: If there are no reservations allowed at Pearl Harbor, then how do the tour companies quarantee a time and a seat out to it? Is the tour of the Missouri worth it?

Thanks so much for all your great help and advice.

Diane

As far as I know, even tour companies are not allowed to "reserve" tours to the Arizona Memorial. As mentioned, they go early to get the earliest tours. They really shouldn't say they "guarantee" a certain tour and time to the memorial.

And yes, the Missouri is very worth it. We've been twice. First time (lots of the ship wasn't open at that point), we did a self-guided tour and really enjoyed it. Second time, we did the Explorer's tour, which goes into many areas of the ship (especially below decks) that are not accessible to the general public. That tour was fantastic, and well worth the money.

I took a picture of the Arizona Memorial from the deck of the Missouri and a picture of the Missouri from the memorial. It's kind of awe-inspiring; kind of the beginning and the end of the US involvement in the war in the Pacific.

BTW, you can't drive out to the Missouri on your own (unless you have a military permit). You have to get your tickets at the Bowfin and you take a bus that goes through security check points. The "no purses, no backbacks, no bags" rule applies to the Missouri as well as the Arizona.

beachchick

We rented a van and drove there early in the morning. The parking is free. The Arizona Memorial is also free (but you can donate). We went to all three (Arizona, Missori, and Bowfin). The Entertainment book has coupons for Missor and Bowfin (1/2 price).

We also rented the self-guided tours (earphones), and learned a lot more that way. The air inside the Missori wasn't very good. We at first considered eating lunch inside the Missori, but decided not too.

If you go on Wed., Sat., or Sun., can go to the Aloha Statium Swap Meet afterwards. The prices there are probably the best in the Hawaiin islands.

Thanks for all the great advice. Just a couple more questions:

1. What time is the best to arrive? We are traveling with my folks (70's) and they can't stand in line very long. Can DH and I pick up tickets for them?

2. My folks are in ok shape for their age. Can they do the tours inside the Missouri? I guess I am asking how strenous the stairs are?

I really appreciate all the help...

Diane

Aloha, evansgang.

The answer to 1 is the earlier, the better. Crowds can build up very fast and you can end up in line for extended periods if you aren't there early in the morning (and it can get hot). That said, we've been in the off-season and arrived mid-morning (9:30ish) and had only a short wait, but I wouldn't count on that. I don't know about getting tix for your folks. I'm going to say "maybe" is as close as I can guess. I think it may be possible, but your best bet is to check the website and call if necessary. In any case, there are places to sit (as well as many exhibits and other things to see and do before and after the ride to the memorial--don't miss the plaques naming all those who perished at Pearl that day). You could stand in line until the last minute and have your parents join you then to get the tix if necessary. (I can almost guarantee that those behind you in line will understand why; we certainly would have no problem with that.)

The answer to 2 is a bit more complex. As for the regular and/or self-guided tour, the answer is that it will probably be fine for them. Keep in mind this is a Naval vessel with the original ladder stairs and some steep inclines. However, it is pretty easy to manuever. It's been restored so that it will be accessible to most people. We've seen kids and older folks alike navigating with no problems. Your best bet is to take it easy and just do what's possible. Even if they can't go everywhere, I'm certain that just wandering around on the "easy" decks would be worth it for them. There are all kinds of artifacts from the treaty signing and such, which will no doubt be of significance and have special meaning to them (and you as well, it's a pretty wonderful experience even for those who are too young to remember the actual events, IMO).

The second part of my answer is that I would not recommend the extended, below-decks Explorer's tour for anyone who is not in good physical health because you are going into tightish spaces and climbing steep ladders. However, DH and I both have physical limitations and were able to do it. We "ramped" up for it in advance and made sure we'd had plenty of rest for a few days before. I'm glad we did it when we did because my coordination has gotten worse (to the point where I have to use a cane a good deal of the time), and I doubt I would try it today.

If your parents are history buffs and if they are in decent physical health, then you may want to consider the tour, but if they tire easily or have any coordination problems, then I would just do the "regular" tour.

Have a wonderful trip.

beachchick

We are the same age as your parents, and last spring we took the tour of the Missouri and enjoyed it very much. When we have time, such as on the next cruise, we like to go to the Arizona. It seems to me that it doesn't take much standing in line to get the tickets, it's just the waiting for your turn that takes a while. There was a line-up to get into the theater, but there are places to sit, as was stated above, and they could join you as the doors open. Nancy

Everyone says to get there early, early, early. But what would our chances be to see the Arizona if we went later in the day (say early afternoon), would the crowds be thinner? Or would all the time spaces be taken?

Or, if you got there early, can you specify what time period you DO want, say later in the day? Could you can go off and sightsee and then come back when it's your time?

I was interested in this also. We would like to get advance tickets for possibly that afternoon, and go to Diamond Head while it is still cool in the morning. Does anyone know if this is a possibility? Also, I wonder if the whole party has to be there in line, or if they will let you get them for your group? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks...Nancy

If you're staying in Waikiki (or even coming off the ship), Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head are in diametrically opposite directions. I don't recommend going to Pearl Harbor and expecting to get back to Diamond Head still in the AM time - too much wasted time going back and forth. When we say do Diamond Head early in the AM while it's still cool, we're talking about before 10 am, preferably before 9.

Spleen

I will be part of a small (10-12) group arriving in Honolulu on a Monday in March. I have contacted a couple of tour companies to see if we could do a little better than ship's tours to the Arizona Memorial. We really prefer the intimacy of smaller groups than the 40-50 passenger tour busses the cruise lines use, plus we've found we can generally see a little more because we don't have to wait for that many people to make their way back to the bus at each stop.

What they tell me is that we should go as early as possible (I'm guessing a 7:45-8:00 pickup) and get in line for our tour tickets at the Arizona Memorial. Then the driver can determine from our tour time if we should leave for a city tour before going out on the launch or staying at the memorial if the wait isn't too long.

Does that sound like how it would work?

They start giving out tickets at 7:30am, and opens admission at 8am. Each tour takes a certain number of people. It was around 75 or 100 people for each group.

The day went went (Sun. Sept. 4/05), we got there shortly after 7am. The line up was really building up, with several tour buses arriving. We got tickets for the second group (near the end of group 2).

After we finished our tour, it was around 10am. There was no line outside. I don't know if there were still tickets left. I've heard some people going at late morning and got in right away, while others got there and no more tickets.

If some people got their tickets at 9am, theire group could be going in for their tour at 1pm. Or maybe they will get in earlier.

It really depends on the day. But sounds like one thing for sure, many people do go early and line up early, and these are the people who get in one the earlier tour and can go elsewhere earlier.

Bob - that sounds like a good plan to me. I'd probably go with that. You might get lucky by going later in the day ... or you might not. At least this way, you'll have an idea on how the rest of the day should go.

Spleen

Spleen,

Thank you for responding. Do you know if it's possible to request a later tour time when you finally get to the window? that way we could ensure that we have enough time to leave and return for the tour. It sure would beat waiting around for an hour and a half.

Hi Bob:

We took an NCL post-cruise Pearl Harbor Tour after a Saturday departure from the POAm. Our bus of 42 passengers arrived at Pearl Harbor at 9:45. There was absolutely no line to receive tickets to the Arizona Memorial and our tickets were for the 11:45 tour. This left us with 2 hours to tour the museum, bookstore and the grounds of the memorial. (there is also a snack bar).

It is my understanding that you can only request tickets for the 'next tour' if there is not enough tickets left in the current tour to accommodate your whole group.

Following the Pearl Harbor Tour we visited the Missouri Battleship and did a short city tour which took us through Punch Bowl Cemetery. Then on to the airport for the long trip home.

Great tour -- highly recommended!

Hoosier Gal,

Thank you. That 2 hours is exactly what I would hope to avoid. A long wait, but not quite enough time to go tour somewhere else and come back.

About 10 years ago, we went to Hawaii for 2 weeks and spent the first 5 days on Waikiki. We took a tour then, but the operator had someone at the memorial and as soon as we were picked up at our hotel, he got in line. When we got there, we had less than 15 minutes to wait. The two companies I have talked to said they are not allowed to do that anymore. Too bad. It worked very well.

So it looks like the cruiseline tours don't get priority - you just get in line when you arrive. Still, if the memorial was all we were going to do, I would definitely go with them. But since we want to add 3-4 hours of touring, I still would prefer a private company for the 8-10 of us. I may just take the chance. Since we would probably be on a schedule similar to yours (getting off the ship after arrival, although we woudl tour and then return to the ship), I might push our arrival at the memorial out to about 10:30 and hope that creates a 3-hour lag for the tour. That would be great.

Thanks again.

I thought I saw the answer to my question earlier, but now I can't find it, so...

What manner of getting to the Arizona would involve the least amount of walking: Taxi, Car Rental or Ship's Tour. My in-laws can't walk much, so I want to be able to get them as close as possible to the site and save whatever walking for them that I can.

Thank you and regards

Archived