Dining reservations for 5

bmaltais

I am just off a call with NCL and can’t believe what they told me. Perhaps some can shed lights on the situation.

We are a party of 5 with two younger kids (10 and 11). We are booked on a cruise on the Escape at the end of February.So I went online and tried to make reservations for 5 people in restaurants (Moderno, Bistro, etc). None of them had an option to book for 5 so I used the option to book for 6. I thought, well, restaurant tables are usually for 2, 4 and 6 so if we are 5 then we need to book for 6. Kind of make sense.

But while discussing OBC with the representative I asked about the restaurant’s booking situation. She told me I would have to pay for the empty seats if we are only five … but there are no options for 5 people … she still said we would need to pay for the 6th reservation. I can’t believe this is true. How would party of 3, 5 or 7 book reservations then?

Anyone ran into this situation? How was it handled by NCL?

Edited by bmaltais

We regularly book for 3. For some reason, when pre-booking online there are very few options for odd numbered parties. Keep your booking for 6, then when you get on the ship, change it to 5. This happens all the time, and is no big deal. You won't be charged unless you wait until you are at the restaurant or something.

The NCL rep is not wrong: if you book for 6 online and leave it like that, and then you show up as a party of 5 at the restaurant, they could charge you for the missing 6th person (although I think this is unlikely). But you can make the booking now and get them to adjust it to 5 people once you get on board, as the others have said.

If you are booking one of the restaurants that requires pre-payment upfront (like Moderno or Teppanyaki, if you don't have a dining package), and a party of 5 is not an option, then you do have to pay for 6 now and get them to refund the charge for the 6th person on board (at least 24 hours before your reservation time).

Why not just pre-book for four, and then add the fifth person when you are on board? To me that seems like the easiest way to do it.

Because a table for 4 will not sit 5 people, so if there are no more 6 tops, they are out of luck. I had to book 8 for my family of 7, and change it onboard.

Err, wow. I'm flying solo, does that mean I have to pay for "double occupancy" at every restaurant?
Possibly, at some restaurants, but only temporarily. This is only if it is important to you to book ahead of time and if the system won't let you book for 1. In that case, you have to book (and possibly pay) for 2 people and ask them to fix it during your cruise. You will only pay for one person in the end, you just have to bring it to their attention on board.

Possibly, at some restaurants, but only temporarily. This is only if it is important to you to book ahead of time and if the system won't let you book for 1. In that case, you have to book (and possibly pay) for 2 people and ask them to fix it during your cruise. You will only pay for one person in the end, you just have to bring it to their attention on board.

I am used to pre-book everything based on past experience with Disney. I prefer not to leave it to possible availability. I guess NCL might be different if they only allow a small % of pre-reservation via the web site... but I am still uneasy with not booking upfront. What if we get late on the ship and there are no available time around 17h30 or 18h00... with young kids this would not go well. And I am reading that NCL has promoted UDP quite a bit for our Feb sailing on the Escape so there might not be much choice left if we don't get on the ship early enough to make early bookings.