Any recommendations what to do in Marseilles?

ken_nyc

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do in Marseilles? We will be on the Harmony of the Seas and have no idea what to do there. Should we sightsee on our own there?

There are a ton of posts on this subject HERE on the board..staying IN Marseilles,taking the train or tour to Avignon,Les Baux etc. Lots to do and see.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do in Marseilles? We will be on the Harmony of the Seas and have no idea what to do there. Should we sightsee on our own there?

Marseilles itself can easily be done on your own. Going farther out to some other towns depends on your comfort level with taking public transportation or renting a car. The most common and easiest place outside Marseille that cruisers go is Aix en Provence. It's close and relatively easy once you get to the train or bus station.

We've also have spent the day in Marseille itself on a port day and have had perfectly lovely day that was just a shuttle ride away from the port itself.

Have you checked out Rick Steves' Mediterranean Port guide? He outlines the options for most of the Med ports, tells you whether each option is easy to DIY or whether to look for an excursion. There are many options outside Marseille (Avignon, Aix, Cassis, Arles, Les Baux, to just touch on some) so it is one port that is important to really read up on.

Marseilles itself can easily be done on your own. Going farther out to some other towns depends on your comfort level with taking public transportation or renting a car. The most common and easiest place outside Marseille that cruisers go is Aix en Provence. It's close and relatively easy once you get to the train or bus station.

We've also have spent the day in Marseille itself on a port day and have had perfectly lovely day that was just a shuttle ride away from the port itself.

Have you checked out Rick Steves' Mediterranean Port guide? He outlines the options for most of the Med ports, tells you whether each option is easy to DIY or whether to look for an excursion. There are many options outside Marseille (Avignon, Aix, Cassis, Arles, Les Baux, to just touch on some) so it is one port that is important to really read up on.

Thank you very much for the bunch of info, it is very much appreciated.

Ken, sorry I forgot to tell you about Tom's port guides. This is a non commercial site out together by an avid cruiser and he has put together many good PDF's on the major Med ports. Because it is a sole labor of love, information might not be totally up to date, so you might have to check other sources to make sure things have not changed. Here is the link to Marseille:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/marseille-06-28-2013.pdf

Glancing through I didn't see a reference to the MuCem ( new museum in Marseille) so as I said, you should always cross reference and check his links for the most recent information.

Ken, sorry I forgot to tell you about Tom's port guides. This is a non commercial site out together by an avid cruiser and he has put together many good PDF's on the major Med ports. Because it is a sole labor of love, information might not be totally up to date, so you might have to check other sources to make sure things have not changed. Here is the link to Marseille:

Glancing through I didn't see a reference to the MuCem ( new museum in Marseille) so as I said, you should always cross reference and check his links for the most recent information.

Thank you very much buggins0402! I will definitely check it out.

As has been said, there are a ton of posts on this topic so simply use "Search." But you might want to consider Marseille a "gateway port" to Provence...which is one of the more popular regions in France. We could write a book on the options for a port day (or a month) from that port so it is helpful if you do your research and then post your own thoughts and specific questions. Also keep in mind you do have different options from this port including tours (cruise line or private), rental car, train, or bus.

Hank

Hmmm...depends on your time....I would skip Marseilles, also Avignon. Look up Le Calanques with time in the seaside town of Cassis....or winetasting if you like rose east of Marseilles in the Cassis, Bandol area. Aix is a great town to visit especially if there is a market...the weekly one that also includes textiles... Research les Carmargues...wetlands with wild horses, sometimes flamingos, etc. We stayed 45 minutes east of Marseilles and enjoyed the little towns some of which I have mentioned above.

Hmmm...depends on your time....I would skip Marseilles, also Avignon. Look up Le Calanques with time in the seaside town of Cassis....or winetasting if you like rose east of Marseilles in the Cassis, Bandol area. Aix is a great town to visit especially if there is a market...the weekly one that also includes textiles... Research les Carmargues...wetlands with wild horses, sometimes flamingos, etc. We stayed 45 minutes east of Marseilles and enjoyed the little towns some of which I have mentioned above.

Thank you horatio123!

• 3 weeks later...

This is excellent! I'm not the OP, but this is exactly what I've been looking for, so thank you for sharing.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

This is excellent! I'm not the OP, but this is exactly what I've been looking for, so thank you for sharing.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

I also noticed he doesn't mention the free shuttle to town that is offered on some days. The long thread about the shuttle is usually on the first page of the French ports page.

DH and I spent 8 weeks in Marseilles at the end of 2013 - obviously not on a cruise. We did a home exchange. There is so much to do in and around Marseilles that we could easily have spent much longer. The options are endless.

The above posts have some excellent suggestions. We did all of the above (some more than once) and recommend every one - Aix en Provence, Avignon, Arles, Cassis, the Calanques, boat to the Freoul Islands, just wandering around the Vieux Port.

However, I thought I would throw a totally different idea into the "mix".

There is an organisation called the "Greeters" in many cities throughout the world and Marseilles has a very active group and excellent website. They offer a guided walk with one of their volunteers. We opted for the walk through the old part of the city. Our guide was Christian, who was a wonderful guide and very passionate about "his" city. No large group - just the two of us and Christian. The walk was over about 3 hours (you do need to be rather fit) and we saw and learnt so much about this very interesting city.

The only "cost" is a recommended donation (about 20 Euros pp) towards their running cost (website, etc), but perhaps a small gift from your home town for the "guide" would also be nice.

If anyone is interested, just search "Marseilles Greeters" and you will find further information.

PS - The "Greeters" are also available in some other cities throughout the world. We recently did another walk with a volunteer "Greeter" in Rennes, France. It was also wonderful. Check them out.

DH and I spent 8 weeks in Marseilles at the end of 2013 - obviously not on a cruise. We did a home exchange. There is so much to do in and around Marseilles that we could easily have spent much longer. The options are endless.

The above posts have some excellent suggestions. We did all of the above (some more than once) and recommend every one - Aix en Provence, Avignon, Arles, Cassis, the Calanques, boat to the Freoul Islands, just wandering around the Vieux Port.

However, I thought I would throw a totally different idea into the "mix".

There is an organisation called the "Greeters" in many cities throughout the world and Marseilles has a very active group and excellent website. They offer a guided walk with one of their volunteers. We opted for the walk through the old part of the city. Our guide was Christian, who was a wonderful guide and very passionate about "his" city. No large group - just the two of us and Christian. The walk was over about 3 hours (you do need to be rather fit) and we saw and learnt so much about this very interesting city.

The only "cost" is a recommended donation (about 20 Euros pp) towards their running cost (website, etc), but perhaps a small gift from your home town for the "guide" would also be nice.

If anyone is interested, just search "Marseilles Greeters" and you will find further information.

PS - The "Greeters" are also available in some other cities throughout the world. We recently did another walk with a volunteer "Greeter" in Rennes, France. It was also wonderful. Check them out.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!! :)

Just wondering your thoughts on Cassis? It isn't Market day when we are in Marseille. So we thought about doing Cassis. Is that easily done on our own or do we need a tour?

Just wondering your thoughts on Cassis? It isn't Market day when we are in Marseille. So we thought about doing Cassis. Is that easily done on our own or do we need a tour?

I've missed getting to Cassis when we stayed on land in the area. For one Marseille port day, I did a lot of work researching how to get to Cassis...but it was a Sunday in November and decided it wasn't the brightest idea to go there then. The train station is a hike from the town...over a 1/2 hour, then on Sunday a cab might not be found and if I recall correctly the bus from the train station didn't run on Sunday. The Tom's port guide has the instructions for getting to Cassis on page 39. The Marseille forum on Tripadvisor might also be a good source of information.

We also love French markets. Have you already been to Aix? They have a market most days. We're lucky, our cruise next June ports in Marseille on a Saturday, a big market day in Aix. That's where we are heading.

I've missed getting to Cassis when we stayed on land in the area. For one Marseille port day, I did a lot of work researching how to get to Cassis...but it was a Sunday in November and decided it wasn't the brightest idea to go there then. The train station is a hike from the town...over a 1/2 hour, then on Sunday a cab might not be found and if I recall correctly the bus from the train station didn't run on Sunday. The Tom's port guide has the instructions for getting to Cassis on page 39. The Marseille forum on Tripadvisor might also be a good source of information.

We also love French markets. Have you already been to Aix? They have a market most days. We're lucky, our cruise next June ports in Marseille on a Saturday, a big market day in Aix. That's where we are heading.

We are going to be there Friday May 13 on the Vista there won't be a market that day in Aix but there is in Cassis. So just not sure what to do now since we had always assumed we would go to Aix that day. It is our first time time Europe so we are a bit overwhelmed.

We are going to be there Friday May 13 on the Vista there won't be a market that day in Aix but there is in Cassis. So just not sure what to do now since we had always assumed we would go to Aix that day. It is our first time time Europe so we are a bit overwhelmed.

According to Rick Steves there is a fruit and veggie market every day in Aix (Richelme) if that would do.

To get to Aix via public transportation try using the website Rome2Rio.com. From there you will have to click the links for the transportation options it shows. Look for the little British flag to change the websites to English from French. Put in Marseille and Cassis..it will give you some details and links to the actual public transportation websites. I did this and it came up with three solutions. The bus only option's websites does not go past March at this time.

Rome 2 Rio is a great site, but you must always double check the links for it's solutions to see if the public transportation timetables work for your time in port.

Personally, I would put Cassis by public transportation in the more difficult category for a newbie to Europe, primarily because the train station in Cassis is not central. Perhaps you could set up a tour and post on your roll call to find a group who also wants to go to Cassis? Or perhaps the ship has a tour there...even if you hate big bus tours (I do) Cassis would be the type of destination where it be mostly transportation there...it's not the type of place where someone would lead you around.

Another option would be to find another couple and take a taxi to Cassis (wouldn't be cheap but split among 4 still doable) and then plan to take public transportation back early enough to check out the Vieux port in Marseille.

We used a tour company with other cc'ers on our roll call. It was a perfect day! We visited in September 2015...AIX Provence is beautiful. The markets were fabulous and I am not a market person. The tour was approx. 1-1.5 hour walking tour about the history of AIX. Amazing history. WE then had time to stroll the markets and grab lunch. we ate at Bastide Du Cours which had the best crepes we had he entire trip!

We then headed to Cassis- I fell in love with the quaint seaside village. The local white wines ere fabulous. We shared lunch and wine with fellow cc'ers as we all bought food from the market.

We also spent a little time touring Marseilles along and visited a few fabulous churches.

the company we used was Tour designer in provence- guides name was anais spinosi- her English was impeccable and incredibly knowledgeable. their website is provence-travel.com or shore-excursion-Marseille.com. hope you find this helpful. I would use this company again. request anais...she truly was fabulous!

Amy

We used a tour company with other cc'ers on our roll call. It was a perfect day! We visited in September 2015...AIX Provence is beautiful. The markets were fabulous and I am not a market person. The tour was approx. 1-1.5 hour walking tour about the history of AIX. Amazing history. WE then had time to stroll the markets and grab lunch. we ate at Bastide Du Cours which had the best crepes we had he entire trip!

We then headed to Cassis- I fell in love with the quaint seaside village. The local white wines ere fabulous. We shared lunch and wine with fellow cc'ers as we all bought food from the market.

We also spent a little time touring Marseilles along and visited a few fabulous churches.

the company we used was Tour designer in provence- guides name was anais spinosi- her English was impeccable and incredibly knowledgeable. their website is provence-travel.com or shore-excursion-Marseille.com. hope you find this helpful. I would use this company again. request anais...she truly was fabulous!

Amy

For Susan Payne...if you reverse the tour cited above....Cassis first to hit the market in the morning hours, you might have what you are seeking...you just need to find some friends on your roll call to bring down the cost.