Throwing Your Own Birthday Party on Ship

Victorious8

So I will be on the Escape for my 28th birthday on the August 6th sailing. As of now I will be a solo traveler (it is actually my post bar/law school graduation present for myself). Although I will likely make plenty of friends the two days before my birthday I thought it would be fun to throw myself a birthday party and invite everyone on the ship.

I was thinking about making a silly flyer to hand out that I could print pre trip and then fill in the blanks with the important details (time and venue) once I was aboard and figured things out with the staff.

Is this an insane idea? I am a pretty fun and goofy person and I think it would be a great time. Do you think the cruise staff would let me get away with it?

Thanks for your input :D:D:D:D:D

I would suggest joining the roll call for your sailing, and maybe meeting some folks there and planning a get together with them. You can always later invite others you meet on the ship. The flyer idea would rub me wrong, but that's just me.

Meet some folks on your roll call and schedule a time to meet at The District or something.

as long as you pay for it, I don't think they would mind. ;)

There will be Host at the Solo gatherings. She/He might be able to help or assist with any questions/requests.

Maybe you could work with the host to have it during one of the solo gatherings! It could be something fun to have incorporated into one of those.

I applaud your willingness to try something like this. In my mind, the worst case scenario still has you left with a bunch of yummy birthday cake, at sea, on a fun cruise. There is no downside.

So I will be on the Escape for my 28th birthday on the August 6th sailing. As of now I will be a solo traveler (it is actually my post bar/law school graduation present for myself). Although I will likely make plenty of friends the two days before my birthday I thought it would be fun to throw myself a birthday party and invite everyone on the ship.

I was thinking about making a silly flyer to hand out that I could print pre trip and then fill in the blanks with the important details (time and venue) once I was aboard and figured things out with the staff.

Is this an insane idea? I am a pretty fun and goofy person and I think it would be a great time. Do you think the cruise staff would let me get away with it?

Thanks for your input :D:D:D:D:D

Sounds like fun. If you are that outgoing of a person, good for you, you should definitely do it. If it rubs someone the wrong way, they just won't go.

Edited by geegee1

First of all, happy birthday & congrats on passing the bar!

Now, have you ever seen how many people show up for that free glass of champagne at the art auctions?

Although there is unlimited food throughout the cruise and many people have the UBP.....if you're offering something for nothing, expect long lines.

I wouldn't hand out flyers and invite everyone.

If you're outgoing, and really expect to make plenty of friends....after a few minutes into the friendship invite them to a private party. Maybe for dinner in the MDR...and you supply the cake/wine. Or at another restaurant...and you supply the cake/wine. Or, something in the atrium...for your invited guests and anyone else there.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts! Unfortunately the role call is only me as of now! I think I would be mostly hoping for a little space that I can decorate and maybe get a cake (think something like a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle but celebrating my birthday). If you knew me you would know that this could actually work. It would be sort of like when I meet people/make friends during the cruise I would just give them a flyer/invitation about when and where to meet on my birthday. We could have drinks/cake there and then go to maybe Spice or whatever.

Do you think this is something I should try to work out before I set sail? How do the people who arrange the meet and mingles do things?

10731192_10205839692045231_7734271267634311501_n.jpg?oh=22d30bf8885c8a3bafb354fb0dab65e5&oe=573EE947

^I feel like this picture captures my essence pretty much.

Also thanks for the birthday and congrats! I still have 4 months left of law school and two months of bar studying until I can celebrate though!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts! Unfortunately the role call is only me as of now! I think I would be mostly hoping for a little space that I can decorate and maybe get a cake (think something like a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle but celebrating my birthday). If you knew me you would know that this could actually work. It would be sort of like when I meet people/make friends during the cruise I would just give them a flyer/invitation about when and where to meet on my birthday. We could have drinks/cake there and then go to maybe Spice or whatever.

Do you think this is something I should try to work out before I set sail? How do the people who arrange the meet and mingles do things?

10731192_10205839692045231_7734271267634311501_n.jpg?oh=22d30bf8885c8a3bafb354fb0dab65e5&oe=573EE947

Also thanks for the birthday and congrats! I still have 4 months left of law school and two months of bar studying until I can celebrate though!

I just posted under the Roll Call you started that there is one already in progress here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47995123#post47995123

Hope this helps

There is no downside.

Except for:

• possible added cost for planning
  • possible added cost for venue
  • added cost for a large cake
  • guys just showing up hoping to "hook up"
  • people expecting you to pay for their drinks
  • finding a venue that will accomodate a large number of people and not interfere with other passengers

Yup. No downside.

Except for:

• finding a venue that will accomodate a large number of people and not interfere with other passengers

Yup. No downside.

Ignore this person and have your party. You only have one life to live. You'll only have one 28th birthday and one time that you pass the bar. RCCL people are party poopers anyway;). Have a great birthday, I wish I was coming! :D

Except for:

•  

Yup. No downside.

What a party pooper. I would definitely come to your party if you handed me a flyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Parties all the time, get in contact with the Events coordinator for your cruise ship and they will get you information on the costs for food and drinks, they will also provide you with the location "usually at no additional cost" for around 20 people with 1 hour of included drinks it costs around $250 to $400.

My last party on the Dawn cost $350 and included drinks and food for 2 hours after that we stayed in the same place but just had to pay for each additional drink, the party lasted for around 4 hours.

Just an opinion you may want to have it somewhere other than the bathroom.

Happy Birthday and have a great time.

Edited by Relax@Sea

Thanks England Ray! Really excited to hear there are those options out there! I will probably see if I can convince any friends to come with me before I get everything in order! It would be hard to limit it to 20 people since I will likely know no one before boarding the ship!

My birthday is actually on the second full day on the boat (Sea Day) so maybe if i push the party back a few days it would be easier to figure out who to invite. Also I would be happy even if the only person I was hanging out with was the bartender. I usually make friends with most of the staff. While on Princess cruises they are often the only ones in my age range :)