Marina ~ dress code, jacket & tie?

some1else

Greetings, everyone, from South Beach. As veterans of QM2, we know all about formal nights. We always followed the rules and really enjoyed the glamour that goes with tuxedos. it's a rare man who doesn't look great in one. Now we live in a resort and are familiar with Resort Casual. My husband brings a sport jacket because air conditioning on ships can be unpredictable. Even here on the Beach, some restaurants keep it pretty chilly. From my perspective, most diners in the MDR and specialty restaurant adhere to the dress code. Attire for La Reserve seems to me to be dressier than usual. The cost and the private party atmosphere may have something to do with that. The Terrace Cafe is meant to be casual and sometimes is the perfect place for us.

Mary

computerworks;

Not sure by what you mean by "overdressed women'? I have seen couples in tuxes before, attending an on ship wedding in Horizons. They then stayed and had drinks before going off to the Privee for a private dinner. Do you consider wearing a tux to a formal wedding as being overdressed, or should they have just dressed to the minimal dress requirements, for their wedding, to make others feel more comfortable? :rolleyes:

A few Ladies do choose to occasionally wear the bling, and the gentlemen accompanying them may dress accordingly. Doesn't make then overdressed, unless they are perhaps only going to the Terrace. Country Club Casual is a minimal requirement, and I've never read of a overdressed stipulation.

The only time I have ever seen people "look down their noses" at other passengers on dress issues was toward those that attempt to wear their blue jeans or shorts to those Restaurants where they are banned. As long as people have meet the stated dress codes, I've never heard or seen any disparaging words toward anyone. However, I have seen on several occasions, a few holding up the line while arguing because the staff won't let them in wearing their Levis. Those can receive some impolite mutterings!

Funny thing, we had a honeymoon couple on our cruise in Dec, both in their 30's..they wrote a review of the Riviera also (yes they were definitely the youngest couple on the cruise), and they reviewed the cruise as expected ( for their age)... that said...she wore a beautiful formal floor length formal gown to Red Ginger one night, and her new husband wore black jeans and a black solid t-shirt (they sat right in front of us), they had a wonderful dinner ( per her at the pool the next day), and could not care a less what others thought...my kind of people!!!!!

IMHO, you can dress according to Oceania's dress code or more formal than the dress code. However, dressing below their standards is simply tacky. There are mainstream cruise lines that accept jeans, shorts, etc. It amazes me that some people (men in particular) refuse to wear a nice pair of slacks and a collared shirt (at a bare minimum). We have seen overalls on Oceania -- the type worn on a farm on in your backyard. Definitely not something that is nice to look at!

We will be on our first sailing on Marina in May, so I can't comment on dress "codes" on this particular ship. However, on our last transatlantic on Insignia, I saw an awful lot of men in jackets, and quite a few ties. And I would agree that the dress of the gentlemen tended to match whatever their partner was wearing. I surely would not want to be in a cocktail dress and have my husband be in khakis and a golf shirt. The median age of this cruise was also a lot higher than any of our other cruises, which might contribute to the amount of jackets and ties.

Personally, we like to "dress up". I don't find it tiresome, and I enjoy people watching and seeing what others are wearing as well-not to criticize but to enjoy the fashions. I don't like to be told what to wear, necessarily (like on Silversea), but if I want to put on the heels and dangly earrings, I will do it. If I am overdressed, so be it.

I have seen various comments from regulars that seem to discourage people from being "too" dressy. However, I am not among them. I don't particularly dress up -- my most formal attire these days is dressy casual (sometimes a long dress but definitely not a formal one) especially since my knee surgery 10 years ago. I haven't worn heels in years. I do have a couple of sandle-type shoes that have a slight heel but that's about it. Usually I'm in dressy pants with a floral top at the most.

But I do enjoy seeing people who are gussied up. So I say go for what you want.

On our first Renaissance cruise in 1999 we saw four couples in absolutely formal attire. I thought they were charming. They were having a good time and didn't care if anyone thought they were overdressed. (I will admit that that was the last time I saw people dressed so formally on either Ren or Oceania.)

Mura

We will be on our first sailing on Marina in May, so I can't comment on dress "codes" on this particular ship. However, on our last transatlantic on Insignia, I saw an awful lot of men in jackets, and quite a few ties. And I would agree that the dress of the gentlemen tended to match whatever their partner was wearing. I surely would not want to be in a cocktail dress and have my husband be in khakis and a golf shirt.

MY DH wears what I tell him to wear :D

as already stated as long as you meet the minimum dress code the sky is the limit

we have seen TUXES & Formal gowns on Oceania also a nice casual cocktail style dresses

If YOU want to push the boat out go for it no one will tell you to go back & put on jeans

Edited by LHT28