International travel with International carry-on limits?

framer

I may be going on an international flight with Air Canada in May. I checked there website and they are showing a limit if 10kg or 22lbs per carry on.

You may carry on 1

Maximum size

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm

(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)

Wheels and handles included. 16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm

Maximum weight

10 kg (22 lb) 10 kg (22 lb)

and 1 personal item

(6 in x 13 in x 17 in) this equals a standard briefcase size bag

Maximum weight

The weight is fine for a briefcase but my normal backpack would easily exceed that weight.

Has anyone had them weigh their carry-on camera backpacks and found them over weight? Can they be taken onboard with penalty or do they need to be gate checked? What costs if over weight with carry-on?

framer

I may be going on an international flight with Air Canada in May. I checked there website and they are showing a limit if 10kg or 22lbs per carry on.

You may carry on 1

Maximum size

23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm

(9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in)

Wheels and handles included. 16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm

Maximum weight

and 1 personal item

(6 in x 13 in x 17 in) this equals a standard briefcase size bag

Maximum weight

The weight is fine for a briefcase but my normal backpack would easily exceed that weight.

Has anyone had them weigh their carry-on camera backpacks and found them over weight? Can they be taken onboard with penalty or do they need to be gate checked? What costs if over weight with carry-on?

framer

When we did our New Zealand to Hawaii cruise a few years ago, the restrictions were pretty much the same and we were required to weigh our carry-ons. I have owned a Scottevest ever since and carry my tablet, my A6000 and about 2-3 lbs of extra stuff in the multitude of pockets. That trip is also why I embraced the Sony mirrorless cameras when they were introduced. First as a backup body and now as my prime travel shooter. With weight restrictions becoming stricter, an equipment diet is becoming a real concern.

Also be aware that some airlines have even stricter restrictions that may include only one carry-on\. If you have a connecting flight, check the rules if it is a different carrier.

Dave

I carry an ThinkTank Airport Accelerator that's right at the standard external dimensions for carry-ons. Last year was my first time with it (previously carried an Airport Ultralight with pretty much the same kit) and it weighed in at roughly 27 lbs. Weight never occurred to me and no one ever checked.

My advice is to not make a big show about how heavy it is and your experience will likely be the same.