Wheelchair dependent

Snoopybabe2015

I would like to know what kind of fun stuff there is for my mom on port days! We would just like feedback on how we can navigate these ports with her in a wheelchair. I don't want her to feel like she is a burden to us. We set sail in the Carnival Glory March 5th to the eastern Caribbean[emoji1]

It is to my understanding that Half Moon Cay is tendered so there is no possibility of her getting off the ship that day! Is that true? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks all

Darleen

The Disabled Cruising board has lots of info about tendering with the different lines and ports.

It all depends on her mobility. Can she walk, with help, in any way? Tendering HMC uses the ship's tenders. Might need to go up and down a step or two.

Some ships on some lines have roll on tenders. IIRC some Princess and HAL. On the West Coast to Avalon, Carnival uses the Catalina Ferries. Completely roll on capable. We followed an occupied power chair off one cruise.

She will indeed be able to get off at Half Moon Cay. They have their own large tenders with roll-on capability.

849362362207_0_ALB.jpg

239362362207_0_ALB.jpg

This one you can see the ramp to the lower level, and you can then roll off up the ramp in front. And roll back on when leaving the island.

176592375307_0_ALB.jpg

245422275307_0_ALB.jpg

I understand there are a few sand wheelchairs...They will roll you to a beach location but can't leave the wheelchair with you. There are paths on the island that you can roll your regular wheelchair on, to the bars and food venues. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Her ports are Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas, in addition to HMC. Grand Turk is flat, there is not much there except a built for cruising shopping area, beach, and a Margaritaville with wonderful pool. If you use the search on this board, you might et some ideas about San Juan and St. Thomas. EM

Her ports are Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas, in addition to HMC. Grand Turk is flat, there is not much there except a built for cruising shopping area, beach, and a Margaritaville with wonderful pool. If you use the search on this board, you might et some ideas about San Juan and St. Thomas. EM

OK, thanks. Sorry, I can't really help with any of those ports :(

I just did these same ports on HAL in November. Fun depends on what you like you do. There are sightseeing tours that can accommodate if your interested. I use a scooter and was able to navigate through old San juan with caution. We mostly window shopped and them found a great place for dinner (we were there until 10pm). The tender for half moon cay was so simple, it was roll on and off.

Can she transfer to a van or car? If so, you can take cabs in St. Thomas and San Juan. Tender ports are the biggest problem. One thing we sometimes did for my mother was to leave her on the ship while we tendered ashore, and pre-arranged for her to get a chair massage and manicure in the ship's spa while we were gone. I pre-paid including the tip and surprised her with this several times. She also was able to get around the ship on her own in her power wheelchair, so went to a movie that was showing on the ship during a tender port stop a few times. She never had problems finding a ship's crew person to help her get lunch, etc.